Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 PM

Default Sylvan Lake

Hi all, for starters I am not much for complaining so I will call this whineing.

I couldn't even sleep because i was so excited to get out on Sylvan for some early season pike. Loaded up saturday morning and after hitting every known honey hole that I have fished for the past 20 years I ended up with only (and bless his sole for not letting me be skunked) one hammer handle.

The ice went out in such a way that it cleaned the top 2' of the weed beds off which historically has made for some exciting top water action when casting over these areas. Mind you it has been likley 6 or 7 years since I had the opportunity to get out this early and take advantage of the weed beds like this but man... someone forgot to tell the jacks that they were suposed to hang out there. To compensate for this I also fished some of the deeper spots that have given up minimum 10lb fish all day long and nada!!!

I could go on forever about my disbelief but just have to ask what you all are thinking about the quality of pike fishing the last few years. Maybe i am just losing my touch... idk!!

Cheers
Old 05-22-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Fishing

I think the quality of the pike fishing is very good

Thats why we call it fishing not catching
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Cam T

Default Alberta Fishing Quality

I agree that fishing is poor, and has been for a number of years. Many reasons; over fishing, poaching, limited stocking, poor winters...etc...... Fishing in general is poor thoughout Alberta. I ALSO wish it was better within Alberta. With winter kills, and low water, we are fubared. I went fishing in North Texas last week, 12 catfish, 3 stripers, all in a couple of hours. Its tough to pull in that many fish in the same time frame in central Alberta.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM

defffinaitly not as good as a few years back at all. the over fishing and poaching on that lake is alot higher too especialy on the south end.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM

I find Gull Lake has better Pike fishing but if your only looking to catch and release you can catch a **** pile of Walleye out there in a day, its not uncommon for me to catch 20 or 30 at minimum.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM

Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Sylvan Saturday

It was a bit off on the weekend
Saturday saw only 12 walleye in the boat,
was looking for the biggens, but
most were in the 1-2# range.
Kind of scattered in the depth
but most were in the 14.8' - 15.6' range
bigger in the 16' & up. Water is still
a cool 49- 52 degree range. Nice weather
on saturday though.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM

We went out yesterday and never caught a thing. Had a few strikes but nothing landed. None the less it felt good to get on the water again!! Seen some guys running back to there campsite with a walleye which was disapointing. Hopefully ranger Bob caught up with them.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
We went out yesterday and never caught a thing. Had a few strikes but nothing landed. None the less it felt good to get on the water again!! Seen some guys running back to there campsite with a walleye which was disapointing. Hopefully ranger Bob caught up with them.
it happens alot in sylvan lake....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Every lake has its good days and slow days but if you fish the structure around the lake you WILL catch fish. As for comments that Alberta is being over fished I would have to disagree. My son-in-law and I have had great success on every lake we have fished for the past three years. The lake we were on for the past two times had the same thing happen as did in Sylvan Lake. The ice trimmed back the weed beds but it does that every year. We just cast or troll where the beds are. We haven't been skunked yet. So, Bfishing keep doing what you're doing and using the same lures you have always had success with and fishing the same weed beds you have had success on and all will be well. Just enjoy the water and watch out for the wind.