Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Default Rod Holder Mounting Opinions Wanted

So now that the new boat is all winterized, I am starting the process of rigging it to my liking. The electronics, Minn Kota and storage are all easy.

I am debating (w/myself) the location of rod holders for trolling. There are a few factors to consider as I see it.

1. When trolling it is usually for both Walleye and Pike w/the occasional Trout.

2. Trolling will be controlled via the Minn Kota 90% of the time and because it is
i-Pilot Link this will be done from the captains seat most likely.

3. I will be using Scotty products as I have faith in the brand and their products have never let me down

4. The boat is equipped with the full stand up top as well as a travel cover so I want to impact those setups as minimally as possible.

Here is a pic of the interior of the boat
w/possible locations as I see it now. Another obvious spot for a third mount is on the side of the trolling motor platform up front (for casting/jigging etc.)

Any opinions?

Last edited by bwackwabbit; 11-08-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:37 AM

Nice to have one in the front for those days of jigging or you need to do something and want to set the rod down for a min.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 AM

I have a similar interior in my boat and I use Scotty rod holders too. I don't downrig though. I put my rear rod holders on the vertical sides instead of the deck so it's easier to stand on the deck if you want. Hard to explain exactly, but take the right circle and move it towards the front and left and put the base on the vertical side where it sticks out. I also have one up by my controls so I can drive and fish as well. I am usually fishing with my kids so the more rod holders the better.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-09-2015, 06:52 AM

That rear deck space is going to be precious for standing on, I wouldn't want rod holders there if I could help it. It looks like it would be a bit of an awkward reach for them too.

What's in behind the carpet along the tops of the gunwales above the storage lockers? Is there anything to screw to there? That would be my first choice.

You could screw directly to the boat, or you could get yourself a system like this -

http://www.extrememax.com/category-s/1865.htm

It's essentially the same as Lund's Sport Track system, in fact, the brackets that attach to the rails are interchangeable. I've been using this system on my boats for the last two years and I wouldn't be without it. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to install, looks good, and it works extremely well. It's rock solid too, even if you're trolling for big pike. The best part is you get adjustability to move everything around from your rod holders to tool holders, cup holders, anything you can think of.

If you're interested I can send you a couple pics of the install on my boat.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 AM

I like the idea of the rails but I worry about conflict w/the tops especially the travel cover.

Mounting on the vertical sides seems like it would be thru-hull as it is carpeted but not very thick.

I like the idea of one near the controls. I have attached a pic of this area if anyone cares to suggest a good spot.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it's very helpful!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 AM

I had a Smokercraft a few years ago (probably the identical layout to your Sylvan there...... and my rod holders went pretty close to where you have them located on the back deck.

I also mounted one near the driver's console for trolling.

You will be fine.

And maybe because I didn't have aspirations as a gymnast .....I also didn't spend a bunch of time crawling around and climbing all over the back deck trying to play balance beam to gain a 12" height advantage for no good reason either ...... so I wasn't too concerned about mounting on the back deck myself.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:47 AM

I'm with you, my days of catwalking are long over...lol.

The only space for one up front is just rear of the controls as pictured...

would this be ok?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
I'm with you, my days of catwalking are long over...lol.

The only space for one up front is just rear of the controls as pictured...

would this be ok?
That's roughly where i put one on my boat and its a great location to keep an eye on your rod while trolling etc...
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Mounting on the control box should be fine. I'd use bolts if possible. Can you remove a panel on that box for access/inspection? You sure wouldn't want to drill into anything important.

Took a quick look on Princecraft website to see how they mount rodholders on boats with gunwhales similar to yours. Didn't find any pics that showed rodholders. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places.

Anyway, I did see this.

Look right in front of the fuel fill. It's their downrigger bracket. Something similar (and narrower?) could be rigged to secure your rodholders. It would sit nice and flat, so it should not interfere with your covers. Mount your Scotty bracket on the vertical surface and you're good to go. There might even be room on there to mount some pliers and other goodies.

Biggest downside is that your rodholders are in fixed positions.

Almost forgot. I agree with the guys who would avoid mounting on the rear deck.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:37 AM

I have done quite a bit of research on there as well. They do offer "Princetrack" for some of the larger units.

I also looked at the downrigger brackets ($135 plus GST for the pair)
My concern there is they will interfere w/the standup top in the stowed position. So a narrower version might work.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 AM

One of the best things you can do is sit in that boat for however long it takes for you to really decide where to best position the holders.

If you usually sit in the drivers seat then consider the eze of removing the rod from the holder unless you go with the fast clip type. The position you are showing next to the drivers seat can be cumbersome, put a rod in there and try for yourseld.

Myself I prefer having the holder I use most on the port side and be mindful of how far into the boat that sun cover comes too.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
That rear deck space is going to be precious for standing on, I wouldn't want rod holders there if I could help it. It looks like it would be a bit of an awkward reach for them too.

What's in behind the carpet along the tops of the gunwales above the storage lockers? Is there anything to screw to there? That would be my first choice.

You could screw directly to the boat, or you could get yourself a system like this -

http://www.extrememax.com/category-s/1865.htm

It's essentially the same as Lund's Sport Track system, in fact, the brackets that attach to the rails are interchangeable. I've been using this system on my boats for the last two years and I wouldn't be without it. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to install, looks good, and it works extremely well. It's rock solid too, even if you're trolling for big pike. The best part is you get adjustability to move everything around from your rod holders to tool holders, cup holders, anything you can think of.

If you're interested I can send you a couple pics of the install on my boat.
Agree very versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
One of the best things you can do is sit in that boat for however long it takes for you to really decide where to best position the holders.

If you usually sit in the drivers seat then consider the eze of removing the rod from the holder unless you go with the fast clip type. The position you are showing next to the drivers seat can be cumbersome, put a rod in there and try for yourseld.

Myself I prefer having the holder I use most on the port side and be mindful of how far into the boat that sun cover comes too.
As suggested, not only go out and sit in your boat. But put the tops up and down to see what works. Even if you have to get someone to hold the rod holder down for you.

I have at least 11 Scotty mount(rods) positions on my boat and a bunch of ram mounts(fishfinders) so I can move things where I want them. Not everyone needs or wants that many though.

edit: If you put it by the throttle or anyplace for that matter make sure it will go into reverse with the rod in the rod holder. Thats why it is important to have someone hold the rod holder with rod in it.

edit #2: I also found that a seat slide was nice on the captain chair so you were not reaching so far behind you and it also allows you to sit at 90 degrees if you are not to big a guy. Found that more comfortable at times.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 11-09-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of the rails but I worry about conflict w/the tops especially the travel cover.

Mounting on the vertical sides seems like it would be thru-hull as it is carpeted but not very thick.

I like the idea of one near the controls. I have attached a pic of this area if anyone cares to suggest a good spot.

Hmmmm. That's a tough one. The way the rails attach they need to be screwed or bolted from the inside so the screw head is flush in order to work properly. That would leave a nut and bolt sticking through the side of you boat, and that would be a deal breaker for me.

They rails could be mounted with the nut on the inside, but you'd lose some of the adjustability of the system, you'd be able to slide them back and forth within about an 8" gap between bolts. Not the end of the world, and with a nice flat bolt on the outside painted to match, you'd likely never notice it.

I don't know exactly how the top works, but the rails and brackets would be inside the boat that way. You could adjust the height of the rail accordingly, but it might require some short extensions to the rod holder posts.

What about adding rails to the top of the gunwales? No go with the convertible top? There tons of options for rod holders if you've got rails.

Short of that, in order to be able to mount them on the gunwales, you'd be looking at through bolting the individual rod holders in a permanent spot. Not something I'd be super happy about, as I like to be able to move them around.

That only leaves mounting them at the back, which isn't ideal, but might be the easiest solution. I don't think I'd like that because I want to be able to step up there easily when needed (fighting/netting a fish, vertical jigging, etc...), and it's the best place to step into and out of the boat when at the dock.

A rod holder by the driver's seat is nice, but make sure it's not in the way when driving. It can be surprisingly awkward to work a rod holder when seated like that, especially if it's right beside to slightly behind you. That's when the slider comes in real handy.

Tough decisions for sure, and no matter what you decide on, after you fish in it for a few days, you'll wish you had done things differently.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Agree with HuntfurFish - I did exactly that - put the top up, sat in the driver seat and determined where the best (most comfortable) place would be to grab the rod. Worked perfectly and was probably pretty close to where you have it pictured there.

As far as the down rigger base goes ...... I bolted it to the back deck as well. I had to purchase a high rise base (which comes off of course when not in use) and that was perfect. When the rigger isn't in use all you have is the square Scotty base that is 3/8" of an inch proud of the deck - it doesn't interfere with anything going on back there unless you are into gymnastics.

I did the same thing to my Lund as well (for the down rigger bases). Works great.

PS I wouldn't use any of the down rigger plates/fixtures that are designed to go on the rail/track system on a boat - they simply don't feel sturdy and steady enough for me. If you are going with a system that uses an aftermarket rail (like Bert's) that';s a different story - they are rock solid.

But I'd say .....Save your money and get the high rise pedestal base.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canno...-h5gchxTr8M%3A

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canno...rtfZDwHFDVM%3A
Old 11-09-2015, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=EZM;3026801]Agree with HuntfurFish - I did exactly that - put the top up, sat in the driver seat and determined where the best (most comfortable) place would be to grab the rod. Worked perfectly and was probably pretty close to where you have it pictured there.

As far as the down rigger base goes ...... I bolted it to the back deck as well. I had to purchase a high rise base (which comes off of course when not in use) and that was perfect. When the rigger isn't in use all you have is the square Scotty base that is 3/8" of an inch proud of the deck - it doesn't interfere with anything going on back there unless you are into gymnastics.

I did the same thing to my Lund as well (for the down rigger bases). Works great.

PS I wouldn't use any of the down rigger plates/fixtures that are designed to go on the rail/track system on a boat - they simply don't feel sturdy and steady enough for me. If you are going with a system that uses an aftermarket rail (like Bert's) that';s a different story - they are rock solid.

But I'd say .....Save your money and get the high rise pedestal base.]quote EZM

Also agree with bolded.

Have 4 base mounts on my boat.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 PM

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

I'm still pouring over forum postings, Google images and you tube videos ET AL.

The good thing is I have the luxury of time to make an informed decision.

One issue I noticed during deeper study. What with the signature taper that these Princecrafts have, the down rigger style mount would likely be on that angled gunwale if I were to mount on those.

Is this a concern when it comes to the functionality of say a Scotty holder?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM

If you don't mind getting a little spendy.. I'd take a look at what Cisco fishing systems offers... I've put them on my boat and glad I went that way right out of the gate.. I troll in line boards, dispsys and downrig with them. I've got w Lund with sport track and I can move rod holders where ever I want them.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 AM

This style is nice, bolted to the inside. No problems with the tarps then. Can move from one to another easy.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/298/be...set-rod-holder

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:53 AM

The Cisco Mounts and/or Bert's rail systems are awesome if you change up your fishing - maybe running planner boards (on a mini tower) and/or a downrigger etc... and change your set up lots for sure - but like Ontario Gunner said - it's going to be expensive.

For 95% of your fishing, I am of the opinion, you are better to buy a few Scotty base plates for $10 (like I did) and mount them in a few spots on the boat and can change it up whenever you want.

Ironic thing is, I have the Lund Track (with 2 seperate plates and bases there that allows me to slide either plate anywhere along my gunnel) AND 2 fixed locations (for the pedestal) on the back deck and I've only ever used the one fixed pedestal location.

The other three options are collecting dust.

Usually running one rigger, one on a Dipsy (2 guys usually). I am glad I didn't spend the $1200 on the Track, rigger base, swivel, rod holder and mount Systems I had picked out.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:18 PM

bwackwabbit

Your PM inbox is full!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Sorry I'll clear it in 5mins
Old 11-10-2015, 01:20 PM

Clear now and got your PM Thanks!

Last edited by bwackwabbit; 11-10-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The Cisco Mounts and/or Bert's rail systems are awesome if you change up your fishing - maybe running planner boards (on a mini tower) and/or a downrigger etc... and change your set up lots for sure - but like Ontario Gunner said - it's going to be expensive..
I bought 2 mounts for my Lund, 2 3place plates and 4 cradle rod holders 3 or so years ago it was $650us money.. But I'm fishing Erie and can run 2 rods per angler,, lots of times I'm running 6 rods, 4 of which are dipsys or all 6 inline boards,, there is a lot of stress put on my equipment but it's holding up like a champ.

I'll be out tomorrow actually,, perch fishing.. This weekend off to bay of quinte!!!

If you can watch ohiogqmefishing.com,, some times Cisco stuff comes up for sale used in the market place section.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM

For the amount of times I actually get out w/serious fishing on the agenda that type of spend would be unwarranted.

I'm still set on Scotty Product but now see the need for multiple mounts to give myself and others some options.

Having a setup that will stand up to chasing "Wicked Tuna" is not in the cards due to spend but as I've said Scotty has never given me pause.

I have the luxury of time, mild winter weather (so far) and a former jet boat builder as a neighbor. So this should prove to be a very creative winter project.

I thank everyone that has contributed so far and look forward to further discussion on the subject.

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:

When I said vertical sides I didn't mean on the hull but rather on the vertical sides of your rear deck platform. That gets the bases below the deck level so the wouldn't interfere with things as much. I'd take a picture of mine but it's all tarped up for winter.

The spot you circled by the controls is where I would put one at the front.

SS

Old 11-11-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
When I said vertical sides I didn't mean on the hull but rather on the vertical sides of your rear deck platform. That gets the bases below the deck level so the wouldn't interfere with things as much. I'd take a picture of mine but it's all tarped up for winter.

The spot you circled by the controls is where I would put one at the front.

SS
Ah ok I get you now, I had similar thoughts.

Here are two pics showing what I was considering, are they close to where yours are located?

I have posted them in order of desirability.

Option #3 I would almost eliminate based on it being in the splash well and in contact w/water directly.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Yeah. That's where I put mine. I would go number 2 as number 1 would limit the angle adjustment you can put on the holder a bit more. With 2 you could angle it out the side or straight out the back. Need to make sure the seat wouldn't hit the rod but though. If it did I would put it on the vertical side of the long cross piece further aft.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 AM

there is also the flush mount rod holders that you drill a round hole, set the rod holder in the hole and secure it with the screws supplied . they come in chrome, black or white . lots options, good luck.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Have you considered portable mounts for the rear and the front deck?

Move 'em around until you find the best location for fishing that will not interfere with your stand up top.
Take 'em off for travel.
Use a piece of inner tube to protect boat paint if that is a concern.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...lamp-mount.htm

I'm very jealous that you can keep your boat inside.
Mine's tarped up pretty tight for winter. It would be inconvenient for me to work on it if I needed to.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 AM

Smile

I like where you had the thought of putting the mounts in the first picture. You can also get a 8 1/2" extention from Scotty to get the rod holder up and away from the side. So if you want the rods out to the outside rather than just straight back then you can swing the rod holder straight out. This also gives you the option of how high up or low down you want the rod to be. I tried out the new Scotty Orca rod holders. They snap your rod down clamp it snugly. But if you get a hit and want to grab it quickly you can grab the rod and pull straight up to get the rod out of the holder in an instant to set the hook.

Scotty extention rod

Scotty Orca rod holder