Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 08:44 AM

Default Jaw Jacker Still Working Frozen Over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP4T851K01I

Hole freezing doesn't seem to be a problem with the Jaw Jacker action on this particular day we continued to slam the walleye and pike. I've been looking around for some Ice Stopper Bobbers, but this year I realized I really don't need them. As long as you use a monofilament line the Jaw Jacker will still be catching fish even when your hole freezes over. So even when your tip ups freeze into the ice on those frigid days this thing will still be putting you on some fish. So give it a try, even if your holes are freezing over next time you're out on the water. Just need a little fancy foot work like you'll see in the video to open the holes. I know in years past I didn't even bother when it was really cold cause I thought it wouldn't set the trigger mechanism off. But then one day I was out for trout and it worked. Then Through some in for pike and walleye when the holes froze and it still worked. I was surprised. No longer in the market for ice stoppers... ah I never could find any anyways, haha!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-04-2016, 08:54 AM

Lol I like how all the old dogs make you run......Some of those looked a little further than a 30 yard dash

Cool Video!!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 AM

I have found my powerpro icetech line doesn't freeze in too bad either. I have had it set off even with almost a 1/4 in of ice(froze up over night).

The only issue is that you lose sensitivity so although it will still work for pike and walleye when they are hungry if they start mouthing the baits or if you are fishing for trout or perch you will miss fish.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

I fished with a guy who had the jaw jackers,he would put vaseline or any biodegradable non toxic type jelly on the jacker moving parts and where the line sits.When it was really cold he would simply cut 2 pieces of cardboard with a 1" hole and cover the hole with them over lapped.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Banned

Jet, I also thought there was alot buggering around with the jackers and a jacker/rod combo is going to run you atleast a $100 each.I have homemade tip ups but my number 1 go to "hillbilly" set up is a 2liter pop bottle and a spool of 40lb tip up line.I put about a third of water in the bottle so its not too easy to blow over and set it about 3-4 feet from the hole,I then find bottom and string the line to the bottle,pull the line so its off the bottom 12" or so,wrap the line around the threads on the bottle 4-5 times,screw the cap on lightly.The bottle slides easily along the ice or snow so the fish barely feels it and when the bottle hits the water its like a huge bobber and sets the hook.On a heavy hook set the line will pull the cap off the bottle and the fish can free spool the line off.Make sure you leave 5-6' of free line between the bottle and spool so you don't lose the whole works.I also put a twig/stick across the hole for the line to sit on.This is deadly for pike and walleye.

The jackers are nice but if you have several members in your family you may need to be a doctor to afford 2 rods for each jacker

ps I paint the bottles bright orange.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Lol I like how all the old dogs make you run......Some of those looked a little further than a 30 yard dash

Cool Video!!
Yeah they probably did get to be more than 30 yards later in the day cause we keep drilling all day and get further and further from them and too lazy to move them. I think that 30 yard rule is a little too short..... but I probably won't after I get a ticket which I'm sure I will some day cause I'm pretty sure my set spread is over some days. I'll have to take a long tape measure some day I don't even know what 30 yards looks like on the ice. We usually try to have someone within 30 yards of them but doesn't always happen if they walk to the truck or hot bite away from the set lines.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned

first time I've seen that one,very interesting.The only thing I seen with the jackjacker or any trigger set hook device is that you will miss alot of pike.Somethimes they just barely grab the bait and if there's any resistance they let go.If they are able to swim a few feet and not feel resistance they will try to swallow it,the extra slack is the difference sometimes.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Yeah they probably did get to be more than 30 yards later in the day cause we keep drilling all day and get further and further from them and too lazy to move them. I think that 30 yard rule is a little too short..... but I probably won't after I get a ticket which I'm sure I will some day cause I'm pretty sure my set spread is over some days. I'll have to take a long tape measure some day I don't even know what 30 yards looks like on the ice. We usually try to have someone within 30 yards of them but doesn't always happen if they walk to the truck or hot bite away from the set lines.
Its only 50 bucks, you can afford it .

We are bad for that as well, fishing sucks so just start drilling a line and before you know it your half a km away from rod wondering what that bell you heard in the distance was lol.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Banned

I don't often agree with tyler but I do on this one. . Haaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have found my powerpro icetech line doesn't freeze in too bad either. I have had it set off even with almost a 1/4 in of ice(froze up over night).

The only issue is that you lose sensitivity so although it will still work for pike and walleye when they are hungry if they start mouthing the baits or if you are fishing for trout or perch you will miss fish.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Its only 50 bucks, you can afford it .

We are bad for that as well, fishing sucks so just start drilling a line and before you know it your half a km away from rod wondering what that bell you heard in the distance was lol.
Yeah I guess 50 bucks isnt to bad to go on a drilling frenzy. I've even had some wardens come through our spread before and they never have pulled out a tape. So I think that's one they don't nail you on often.

I guess there are all types of devices now for setting hooks but I still like my jaw jackers and I don't seem to have as much problems as most people say. To each his own. Yes they aren't the cheapest option but I've got 4 seasons on them and still going strong, no breaks, cracks or problems.

Kind of wish I had a 3 d printer though so I could start making all kinds of stuff. That would be neat! Must cost an arm and a leg though.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Kind of wish I had a 3 d printer though so I could start making all kinds of stuff. That would be neat! Must cost an arm and a leg though.
Yeah they aren't cheap. If you are trying to make something simple enough or copy a part can try making a mould instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSH19G_6Yeo
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM

Personally I think the fully adjustable capabilities of the jaw jacker is what makes it better. A fully adjustable trigger is what allows you to catch a three inch perch on one day and a five pound trout or walleye the next. I don't have a problem with a freezing trigger most days cause I just move it out of the way when a fish is on the line. The only days it doesn't work for me is when you have strong winds and blowing snow... where the holes are filling with snow up to the trigger. Then it doesn't work no matter what. But those are days I sometimes wonder... why am I out here fishing???

Who is really fishing for big pike with jaw jackers? Should just pull out the HT Polar Tip-ups with an 8" plus bait and let them take it. They carry the bait so you don't need the hook set automatically. I don't purposefully fish pike with a jaw jacker.

If you want to fish rods for pike then you might want to check out the Ice Pro which is not an auto hook setter but has a flag system and the rod free spools till you get there.

The idea behind the jaw jacker is to set the hook in instances when a fish quickly bites and releases... perch, walleye, trout. It does a good job at that.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
They're worth it, I've got 3 and print in ABS, PLA, Nylon, Ninjaflex (a rubbery type material like silicone), wood, brass. Ideal for fishing stuff, I print cases for tip up alarms, fishing lures, designed and built a camera rotator for my AquaVu and shortly gonna design some hook covers.

It doesn't have to be too expensive. You can get into a budget one for about $500 CAD, the baseline one I would recommend with a decent print area would be about $1000. Have a look here, it's a good starting point.

http://wanhaousa.com/collections/3d-printers

I happen to know the guys, and they're makerbot clones of the early more reliable models at significantly less. Cheap / easy to maintain. However stay away from newer Makerbots, they are now overpriced and unreliable, costly to maintain.

Also have 2 laser cutter and a CNC machine. Laser cutters do some things faster, but can't do everything a 3D printer can. CNC is good for working in metal and doing molds (plan on making some lure lead molds this weekend and some soft plastics molds).

But if you want something that does most stuff cheaply and easily, 3D printer rules even if it's slower in some instances.
So you just have this stuff for hobby creations or for business use?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 PM

Kudos!!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Oh I know and agree just poking fun.
I actually uses these on my jaw jackers and they work excellent!
The bobber will freeze into the ice but the inside of the bobber being filled with antifreeze stays perfect and detects still allows the jaw jacker to detect the light bites!!
http://www.sullivantipdown.com/ice-s...-bobbers-.html
Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Oh I know and agree just poking fun.
I actually uses these on my jaw jackers and they work excellent!
The bobber will freeze into the ice but the inside of the bobber being filled with antifreeze stays perfect and detects still allows the jaw jacker to detect the light bites!!
http://www.sullivantipdown.com/ice-s...-bobbers-.html
Yeah that's what I was talking about in my first post when I said Ice Stopper Bobber. Did you buy them online and actually get them? I'm pretty sure I ordered a couple years ago online and they never came so I didn't bother trying again. Cause I never see them anywhere in stores was wondering if not making them... still taking money though.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 AM

Thanks.

What rods are you finding work best with the jaw jacker?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's what I was talking about in my first post when I said Ice Stopper Bobber. Did you buy them online and actually get them? I'm pretty sure I ordered a couple years ago online and they never came so I didn't bother trying again. Cause I never see them anywhere in stores was wondering if not making them... still taking money though.
I think I got mine from either wholesale sports or the fishin hole
Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Thanks.

What rods are you finding work best with the jaw jacker?
I've used all kind of rods, but they have to have some backbone. Don't use light or medium light. Make sure they are at least medium, medium heavy or heavy. I recently got some actual Jaw Jacker rods. They fave a panfish/kokanee on, trout/walleye one and a pike/laketrout one. So if you saw the big perch video I was using two of the panfish/kokanee rods and two walleye/trout rods. All were working well with great hookup percentage. They are stiffer rods like I said and that is what you need to get a good hookset using the jaw jacker.

I like fenwick rods and these jaw jacker rods are nice too.

Thanks Mike I've never seen them at wholesale or Fishn hole. I'll keep my eyes open.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Banned

I actually almost always use those white abu garcia ultralight rods. My hook up ratio on 5lb plus whites is like 95% And easy 70 % on specs.

Quote:
I've used all kind of rods, but they have to have some backbone. Don't use light or medium light. Make sure they are at least medium, medium heavy or heavy. I recently got some actual Jaw Jacker rods. They fave a panfish/kokanee on, trout/walleye one and a pike/laketrout one. So if you saw the big perch video I was using two of the panfish/kokanee rods and two walleye/trout rods. All were working well with great hookup percentage. They are stiffer rods like I said and that is what you need to get a good hookset using the jaw jacker.

I like fenwick rods and these jaw jacker rods are nice too.

Thanks Mike I've never seen them at wholesale or Fishn hole. I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
I actually almost always use those white abu garcia ultralight rods. My hook up ratio on 5lb plus whites is like 95% And easy 70 % on specs.
This is neat didn't think whites bit hard enough.

Mind sharing your set up?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
I'm very curious is your set up as well. I don't think an ultralight rod would hook up many walleye with their hard mouths, but if you say it works who am I to say it doesn't. I think the whitefish would hook up easy with a light rod since they have light mouths. 5 pound whites, those are pretty big. What are you putting on your jaw jacker to get them? I've never tried for whites and none have ever hit by chance either.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:29 PM

It all depends on the lure you are using.

If you use little flies or small jigs or wire worms etc with sharp hooks you can get away with lighter back bone rods. If you use larger jigs you are going to want more back bone to get the hook set.

I use 2 rods on my jaw jacker, one is a M ugly stick and the other is a MH Canadian tire rod. I like the ugly stick for perch and small trout but the couple times I have used it with a full size jig I have not been impressed as it doesn't have enough back bone to set the hook and you often lose the fish before you can get to the rod.

One of the other issues with using a lighter backbone rod is freeze up issues. With a light rod it is possible the trigger will get set and the jaw jacker still not go off because of the mechanism being frozen. I have had that happen a few times with the ugly stick but almost never with the heavier rod.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:28 AM

Thanks guys. No time this year due to work, but one of these years I'll have time.