Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Northern Saskatchewan Lakes

So I'm planning a trip fishing in northern Saskatchewan. Going for something like 14 days. I'm doing Tobin and maybe Codette, but my question is, what other lakes are great to fish in northern sask. that you can drive to? I was looking at Otter and La Ronge. I'd like to find some lakers and big pike. I'm fishing with a 17' smokercraft with a 115.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 PM

There's lakers not to far from there up the Hanson lake road. Little bear lake.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Bessnard....shhhh she is a beauty lake, lots of islands, more importantly fish
Don't tell anyone.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Try Dore Lake for Big Pike and Big Walleye (Dore Lake Lodge or Michel Lodge) and Lac La Plonge for lots of Lakers and big Pike (Angler's Trail Resort).
Good Luck & Good Fishin'
Old 05-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Mirond is a good lake to try. Been going there for the last 6 years The lake is easy to navigate and you catch a lot of fish close to the 2 lodges that are out there. It is on the Hansen lake road. There are no lakers out there though. I will be out there June 19-23. Also it's all about the enjoyment of getting out there. That's what I enjoy the most. Nothing beats walking out on the dock at 5am and hearing the loons. And a wicked sunrise. Hope it all turns out great for ya no matter where you choose to go.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:49 PM

If you want LARGE walleye and pike, Tobin Lake is great for both. You can go up to the north end near the Dam and there are a lot of really big pike on the flats up there. Troll fast with a large diver minnow type plug lure, it's great. Farther up-stream just before the river meets the lake there are awesome large walleye. You will land some 11 to 14 pound walleye there. Not the nice scenery of a far northern lake but good fishing. As far as beauty, large pike and unlimited walleye numbers-- as previously mentioned-- Besnard. Been going for 27 years and will be there second week of June again. Enjoy.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Old 05-17-2017, 03:18 PM

As mentioned try Whiteswan lake on the Hanson lake road for lakers. Maby also head north to the Prince Albert National Park for pike and Lakers on Sandy Lake. Kingsmere aldo has them, but you would never get your boat in there
Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 PM

Thanks guys, I'll have to research Besnard and lac la plonge, is there parks to camp at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Mirond is a good lake to try. Been going there for the last 6 years The lake is easy to navigate and you catch a lot of fish close to the 2 lodges that are out there. It is on the Hansen lake road. There are no lakers out there though. I will be out there June 19-23. Also it's all about the enjoyment of getting out there. That's what I enjoy the most. Nothing beats walking out on the dock at 5am and hearing the loons. And a wicked sunrise. Hope it all turns out great for ya no matter where you choose to go.

Yeah that is the best part of being out there. The smell of the campfire and the sounds on the lake. Catching some monsters is just the icing on the cake.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 PM

North of PA is Piprell lake- 5 kinds of trout, 2 SK records caught there.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
I'm pretty sure the record brown was caught there, what was the other one ? This is a tough lake to fish, some big ones do come out periodically.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dive_Guru View Post
Thanks guys, I'll have to research Besnard and lac la plonge, is there parks to camp at?

We have a family cabin at Besnard. I am going in 2 weeks.

There is a campground with a public boat launch. Despite 2 fishing camps and the campground, the lake is so big with so much good fish habitat that it is easy to find good water.

No lake trout though. It is just filled with whitefish, walleye and pike.

If you do go, you have to be very careful when boating. It is a Canadian shield lake with freakishly shallow water in very non-intuitive places.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Colin's camps is up there and a nice campsite too.
Lake is full of islands, some rocky shallow spots so be careful.
Great Lake for privacy if you launch, go find a nice secluded island, set up camp and stay there, get fire wood at Colin's camps.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I'm pretty sure the record brown was caught there, what was the other one ? This is a tough lake to fish, some big ones do come out periodically.
Brown comes from Diefenbaker. Held by the Conrads the Tiger Trout C&R record did come from Piprell but was smashed last weekend once again by the Conrads, not sure which lake tho, yet.
Only lake that has 2 trout records in Saskatchewan is Loch Leven, with brook trout and cutthroat records.

All records found at end of 2017 Sask angling guide.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Piprell use to hold the provincial records for brown and bows. The brown was an accidential stock as there were no knowen browns in the lake at the time. And werr both caught in about 14 fow by the old sawmill location. At least thats what the previous owners of Rainbow lodge told me when I was working up there.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHaw View Post
Piprell use to hold the provincial records for brown and bows. The brown was an accidential stock as there were no knowen browns in the lake at the time. And werr both caught in about 14 fow by the old sawmill location. At least thats what the previous owners of Rainbow lodge told me when I was working up there.
You are correct, but that was a long time ago. That Rainbow record was smashed many times and by more than double in size , out of Diefenbaker. Didn't know about the brown trout out of Diefenbaker.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 PM

If you go to either Lac La Ronge or Besnard watch out for reefs. Big, lots and not very soft.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
If you go to either Lac La Ronge or Besnard watch out for reefs. Big, lots and not very soft.

It's my understanding that Besnard has navonics, anyone confirm?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Try Dore Lake for Big Pike and Big Walleye (Dore Lake Lodge or Michel Lodge) and Lac La Plonge for lots of Lakers and big Pike (Angler's Trail Resort).
Good Luck & Good Fishin'
x2 that would be my choice, some real monsters coming out of there especially the last few years.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
x2 that would be my choice, some real monsters coming out of there especially the last few years.

Lac la plonge or dore?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Brown comes from Diefenbaker. Held by the Conrads the Tiger Trout C&R record did come from Piprell but was smashed last weekend once again by the Conrads, not sure which lake tho, yet.
Only lake that has 2 trout records in Saskatchewan is Loch Leven, with brook trout and cutthroat records.

If you say the brown trout comes from Diefenbaker, and I know the rainbow does as well, doesn't that equal 2 records from Diefenbaker ? Not that it really matters, I'm just wondering if I'm confused !
Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 AM

On the shield lakes make sure you have an extra prop and a map.Lots of luck.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:

The Brown came from Piprell, the Rainbow from Diefenbaker and the Cutthroat from Little Rasberry. According to the Sask Government website.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
It's my understanding that Besnard has navonics, anyone confirm?

If you are using a phone up there good luck as in apps, no cell phone coverage Plus I tell ya you can be 100 yards off shore 20 feet of water and bam a pile of rocks right at or near the surface...be careful this is a lake that really needs to be taken seriously or you will be left legless

Old 05-22-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If you are using a phone up there good luck as in apps, no cell phone coverage Plus I tell ya you can be 100 yards off shore 20 feet of water and bam a pile of rocks right at or near the surface...be careful this is a lake that really needs to be taken seriously or you will be left legless

No, I have the micro sd for my fish finder, but I suppose I could just troll everywhere.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Lac la plonge or dore?

Dore for big walleye and jacks
Old 05-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
The Brown came from Piprell, the Rainbow from Diefenbaker and the Cutthroat from Little Rasberry. According to the Sask Government website.
You are definitely confused...
Sask Regs say Brown comes from Diefenbaker and he'll I've saw the pics a couple years ago.And like I said he Cutthroat is from Loch Levin. Look at the spiecies list at end of the regs and it has current records unlike sites like say "The Fishin Holes" which is way out of date.
Yes 2 Diefenbaker Trout records.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You are definitely confused...
Sask Regs say Brown comes from Diefenbaker and he'll I've saw the pics a couple years ago.And like I said he Cutthroat is from Loch Levin. Look at the spiecies list at end of the regs and it has current records unlike sites like say "The Fishin Holes" which is way out of date.
Yes 2 Diefenbaker Trout records.
I guess the government site is outdated. I called Sean Conrad and he confirmed the Brown trout record was from Diefenbaker. I caught hundreds of trout from Diefenbaker but never even knew Browns were in there. I was also made aware that landlocked salmon are also being caught.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
No, I have the micro sd for my fish finder, but I suppose I could just troll everywhere.

No you just gotta be careful and watch the water, if you see what you think is a ripple in an odd spot chances are it is a rock bed, like any lake don't just launch, assume and let er rip...too far up there for a quickie repair, maybe a quickie but not the repair.