Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2021, 02:54 PM

Smile Need HELP withmy fish finder

Hi. I recently picked up a used Garmin Echomap Plus 95 sv. The problem is that it won't power up. The previous owner told me this and said if I want to try and fix it or get it fixed go ahead.

I called about warranty and Garmin told me they would fix it but want to know if I just need a cradle. They told me to check and see if it's the unit that isn't working or the cradle/cord. They suggested taking it to Cabelas or a similar place and asking to plug my display unit into their cradle. If it works then it's not the "unit" so they would send me new cords and cradle. If it didn't then I send them back the unit and they fix or replace. Problem is no retailer has one set up to test swap.

Does anyone out there have one on their boat so I could test mine out? Or maybe even another suggestion???

Thanks
ZD
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-24-2021, 11:16 AM

Hey ZD,

I've had the same problem and narrowed it down to the battery. Its very fickle when the voltage drops below 12V. It was a good excuse to change out the old battery in my boat last summer and that fixed the problem. I also ran the power directly back to the battery instead of from my console. If that doesn't work, you can plug it in the cradle on my boat.

good luck
Old 03-24-2021, 11:38 AM

Thanks I will definitely try a new battery. 😀😀😀
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-24-2021, 11:48 AM

Thanks I will definitely try a new battery. 😀😀😀
Old 03-25-2021, 07:03 AM

I would definatly change the battery and also check all the connections make sure they are tight. If you are down in calgary https://www.gpscentral.ca/ is the place to go if you need replacement parts.

Gbuss
Old 03-26-2021, 11:22 PM

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:52 PM

Get your multi meter and check the pins in the cradle to see if your getting 12+ volts. Any green death or corrosion in the connection?
Old 03-27-2021, 01:06 AM

I don't have one and have never used one. I'm assuming it can't be too hard?
Old 03-27-2021, 10:40 PM

You’ll need to cough up your man card if you don’t own one but it’ll prob be easier to just buy one. They’re an essential piece of kit for any and all electrical work.

YouTube will be your friend, essentially you’ll set it to dc power, put the negative probe on one pin and the positive on the other pin in the cradle. If you’ve got the polarity correct you’ll read the voltage, if they’re backwards (positive to neg) you’ll get the voltage with a neg in front (for example -12.3v) which works but really it just tells you to switch your black/red on the pins. (Or maybe that you hooked it up wrong on the other end but the wires are prob marked or red/black so check they’re hooked up correctly).
If you’ve got power at the cradle pins you’ll at least know that. If you don’t check the battery and make sure the voltage is correct and it’s not low or dead. Then go back from the two pins on the cradle to where it’s connected to your bus bar or next connection and check it again, you may find a bad connection. If it goes from the cradle to the battery without any more connections and you have 12+v at the battery and nothing in the cradle set the meter to ohms and check each end of the same wire. Aka one pin in the cradle and the other end of the same wire where it terminates. You’ll either have to much resistance, open circuit or a minimal amount of resistance (aka a good connection and the meter will prob read “1”). That will tell you if the wires corroded, broken or in good shape. Then check the other wire.
If you can get that done you’ll know where the problem is... or isn’t.

Any cheap digital or analog multi meter will work. The cheapies don’t have as many options and they break easier but if you’ve made it this far in life without one it’ll be a significant upgrade. $10-15 will get you in the game. If your looking for a decent meter that’s not very expensive an $80 fluke is a better option.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:23 PM

Thanks. Looks like I am off to the store.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:55 PM

Did you figure it out or do you need some pics of what to do?
Old 03-29-2021, 07:54 PM

Haven't gotten to it. Been a busy weekend with the kiddos.