Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 10:05 AM

Default Ground blind vs. White tail question

Hey all,
a bit of a silly question...I know the ideal scenario is to get your blind set up well in advance of a hunt to allow the animals to get used to it, but is there much luck/use trying to set one up and hunt out of it where white tails are currently active? The reason I ask is that I just got permission to bow hunt on a farmers hay field where there's quite a few deer...I know where they frequent and not a lot of places to try to blend into (hay has been cut already) and in this weather it would be nice. I have a few blinds to choose from, but don't want to sit in one that spooks all the deer away. Thanks a lot for any insight in advance. Oh and I potentially could try to tree stand it on the edge of the field, but would always rather take that flat shot if possible.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Normally in that situation I set up some burlap or that cheap camo clothe you get from can tire. Slope it slightly and pile as much dead grass.. twigs and other things onto it.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Do you slope the camo cloth/screen or burlap against the blind with the addition of dead grass or do you mean to just create a makeshift blind out of these things?...thanks.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6WTF View Post
Normally in that situation I set up some burlap or that cheap camo clothe you get from can tire. Slope it slightly and pile as much dead grass.. twigs and other things onto it.
I have done this in the past as well and had success getting whitetails on the first day there. Also try a Ghost blind, they blend into the surroundings much better than a pop up blind. Play the wind and wait for conditions to be right before hunting area. First attempt will be your best chance.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Do you slope the camo cloth/screen or burlap against the blind with the addition of dead grass or do you mean to just create a makeshift blind out of these things?...thanks.
Basically a makeshift blind, using mostly material found at the location.

Your using material already present so the scent impact is minimal and it will look as though it should be there.
Techically the camo or burlap net isnt needed but it makes it a bit easier.

Imagine the one in the picture.. mine look quite a bit lazier with either just one.. or two sides
Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 PM

You mentioned yiu could put a treestand up in trees at edge of field but prefer a level shot Whats stopping you from putting a ground blind just a few feet into trees near the trail the deer use to get into field Brush it in good you should be good to go
Old 09-09-2014, 10:25 PM

Thanks guys for the great info. I am relatively new to bow hunting (got a doe last year, but learning every location is so different), so struggling with trying to decide what will work best or has the least impact...I will take a good close look at the field edge and try to see which of these options will work or blend best....thanks again for taking the time
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM

Iv been a bow hunter now for about 9 days. I have hunted 4 times before I put a buck on the ground. Personally I cant sit in a blind for hours and hours and hours. After seeing a deer I would pull the string on the game began. Iv only had 1 stalk that was blown right from the get go. Every other stalk was within 50yrds or so. A few where deer were within a few yards. I had seen about 5 maybe 6 bucks that were very nice expesially for this country. I Woulda loved to continue to pursue any one of them, but I wasnt sure if my hunts were going on skills and planning or just dumb luck. Anyways, Im probably not the guy to advocate for stands and blinds (unless over a bait, but well this is alberta sooo) I can sit for about 3 hours before I get the "I cant sit here no mo" lol.

Ill add the deer I stalked were in farm country, alfalfa fields and horse pasture........ Play the wind and move slow