Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Default New to bow hunting

Hi Everyone. Just looking for general tips on bow hunting. Long? or Compound? What make? Anywhere to practice in the Edmonton area. Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Im not that familiar with edm but i would go to sherwood park archery they could sell you a bow and show you how to use it (compound bow ) plus you would probably meet some other hunters who could help you out.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Welcome

Welcome to Alberta outdoorsmen, and Archery. There are couple of diffrent shops in the Edmonton area.My best advice is go down to one of the shops, grab a couple of traditional and compound bows , try them out and see what you like. Sometimes the traditional method is more appealing to people, because of the simplicity, and " Robin Hood.'' Sometimes the technology, speed and kinetic energy of compounds is appealing, especially to the younger generation. Try them out see what suits your needs, and have fun. Another piece of advice, perhaps by a cheaper, or used bow first, and decide if it's truely what you like, then later on get a higher end rig.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM

Default Edmontons archery shops

I have heard good things about trophy book archery, i think its in Spruce Grove.
I have been to Pipestone Creek archery south of Edmonton near Millet and it is a neat little shop and the guys there are nice.

I have not bought a bow yet either so I am in the same boat as you.
Good luck on your search
Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 AM

yes , try out a few first, then practice til you think your getting good ! Then buy a tag and put it in your pocket. Go back to the range and keep practicing till you really are good ! When i first started, i thought i was good, looking back, i realize that target and real world are so very different !

After your done practicing, get outside, the biggest problem most archers have is distance and the guesstimation of that to an animal. Lots of trees can make an animal look farthur away, wide open feilds can make animals look closer than they are ! A range finder is priceless! Know your limits and stick to them !

Best of luck and enjoy the new challenge !
Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 PM

I wouldn't recommend Sherwood Park archery to anyone new. I went in there and the service was appauling. I was told they dont have anything in my price range, by the owner, and then he turned his back and walked away .. looked like he was more interested in going to shoot his bow, as he had it in his hand than getting a sale. I would have thought new archers would be any stores priority as, like I already have, I have been back to the store I purchased from and bought upgrades.

ALL the other stores were fantastic and let me try bows, some at my price and some below - which was good as it showed what the extra $$$ was getting me.

Shop around and enjoy trying loads before you buy.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Trophy book archery is a great place...Lots of things to try...Great people...Prices are a little high but a good place.And not the typical B.S like at Sherwood Park. We went there and to say the least never left with a very warm feeling.... The people there looked down at everyone that walked through the door...
Its like they think there S@#% dont stink.... Wont be back....
Old 02-19-2010, 06:33 PM

I'm a new archer (one month old), and I didn't have any issue with Sherwood Park Archery. I've had all my questions answered, bought decent equipment, and I get shooting pointers just about anytime I'm on their range.

On top of that, if you're looking to Bowhunt specifically, Sherwood park Archery Club (different from Sherwood Park archery store) has an outdoor 3D range that it uses in the summer. I'm not a member yet, but will probably sooner rather than later.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 PM

english i had the same thing happen to me but got talking to the guy and it got way better...turned out they were real nice guys and helped e find one that was a bit out of my price range but i could afford.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM

This is a great place to ask for advice thats for sure.Don't really have anything to add only to make sure you get someone who knows how to set up your bow and get you on the right track. Practice outside after you get sighted in and don't be scared to go out in the wind just to see how much it effects your arrows. Your in for an awesome time, have fun and good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholic523 View Post
Im not that familiar with edm but i would go to sherwood park archery they could sell you a bow and show you how to use it (compound bow ) plus you would probably meet some other hunters who could help you out.
DO NOT GO TO SHERWOOD PARK try trophy book first you will not be sorry the crew there is very respectable and noligable exept richard he is kidda a grouch :lol:anyway billi jo and rob are great to learn from ive only been shooting since dec 27 09 and aready shooting a 285 score out of 300 for any new archerer thats the place to learn from..... just ask them.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Huntin View Post
Hi Everyone. Just looking for general tips on bow hunting. Long? or Compound? What make? Anywhere to practice in the Edmonton area. Thanks
go to trophy book archery ive only been shooting for a mounth and a half and learned a lot from them