Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Default mathews monster?

was wondering if anyone has one or has shot one their specs are pretty impressive but i heard some people not impressed???????
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM

Default Mathews Monster

This is a very fast bow, because it is so fast the draw cycle is hard. With any speed bow you will find this. If your looking for a bow that is extremely fast this one would foot the bill. It also has very little recoil (vibration) after the shot. It is definitly one of the nicer speed bows out there.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM

i got one just before hunting season
love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shot my 53'' moose with it super fast
one thing with this bow is it will show you your bad habits
i shoot it at 65# 29'' draw no problem pulling can hold all day
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

Shoot the original first, the XFORCE then shoot the Monster....see what you think....buy the one you like most!

.......Enjoy your Xforce!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM

the original?? there were fast bows out long before the xforce....
Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Default monster vs xforce

my son shoots a x-force gx for targets and a x-force tree stand for hunting they're both awesome. i just was looking for something different. have shot mathews and apa in the past and heard that monster was a copy of the x-force also that those who shot it were not impressed. anyone know if one can be found in calgary
Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 PM

you could order one through Calgary Archery Centre. Another bow to look at is the GT500, Z-28 and XLR all by Elite Archery, Calgary Archery Center has a sale on these bows now, 2009 bows are almost $400 off the regular price!!!! WAYYY more forgiving to shoot then a 5 1/2" brace height monster and almost just as fast....

Check out the line at elitearchery.com
Old 11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthABFlyFisher View Post
the original?? there were fast bows out long before the xforce....
Yeah I know.....
Look at the Monster design...100% Copy on everything.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
Yeah I know.....
Look at the Monster design...100% Copy on everything.
I agree! They Monster is just a clunky XForce rip off.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 PM

If you really wanna try it I'm quite certain Jimbow has 1. or he did last time i was in.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Re:Monster

I tested drove the monster. I found it a)heavey, b) loud, c) not very forgiving (agree with previous poster who said it will show you your faults). I'm a matthews guy, but I passed. Cheers PN
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantnut View Post
I tested drove the monster. I found it a)heavey, b) loud, c) not very forgiving (agree with previous poster who said it will show you your faults). I'm a matthews guy, but I passed. Cheers PN
They make great solo cam bows! This was a miss for them...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 AM

I'm looking forward in testing out the Z7. Looks like that may be my next upgrade from my Q2

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM

I have a monster and like it a lot.Shot a 45" bull mooose this fall at 67 yards. I was impressed. Its all about the shooter and what he likes. It is a harder bow to pull at 70 pounds but you can hold it all day.I have shot a few speed bows and was impressed with this one.It dosent compare with a single cam for smothness but it isn't built for that its soul perpose is to go fast and it does it very well.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned

from the research i did on speed bows to figure out which one i wanted here's what i could find about the monsters

timing...they have a system that doesn't get one cam out of time with the other.....

monster xlr8 (5" brace) smoother draw and less harsh turnover than pse omen (5.5" brace)

many who shot both monster(6" brace) and xlr8(5" brace) felt the xlr8 was the smoother draw and shooter

field and stream did a head to head on xlr8 and omen, the draw was 3/8" longer on the monster and did 3 fps faster which explains things....plus the xlr8 does it with 80% let off where the omen was 70%...and field and stream comparo said same thing about smoother draw with less harsh turnover, also commented the xlr8 held very well on target and shot tight groups right away and end of day they said the pse felt lighter/quicker handling, said both were noisy by todays standards, i think the xlr8 was a bit noisier than the omen in this comparo

thomas crowe in u.s. apparently winning some big stuff with a monster xlr8 and was one of the guys who prefered it to the standard monster and some goza brothers also winning lots of stuff with xlr8's shooting fingers...takes a bit of googling to find out about them but not hard to google thomas crowe and his accomplishments/wins etc. with the xlr8....he competes at 80lbs too, a freak imo but interesting to read about

end of day i was glad that the xlr8 seemed to be most of what i was looking for over the other speed bows, seen a few times posted where the xlr8's were normally a bit faster than the omens as a rule of thumb etc. but the timing thing and hold steady comments along with the smoother draw/turnover combined to make me choose the xlr8....which makes it my third mathews but when i researched them it was with open mind, i wasn't determined to be brand specific on this bow choice, just ended up it seemed to offer more to me than the competition so its purely coincidence that its same brand as my last two bows, anyone knows me knows i want best i can find in gear, don't care who makes it so take for what its worth, i shot the omen and didn't mind it at all, i know what i'm getting into with these speed bows, so when my xlr8 gets here i'm sure it will be every bit as good or the tad better my research says, i'll be happy

no doubt will be some reports on it once i get shooting it, should be here in next week or so according to Jim
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
from the research i did on speed bows to figure out which one i wanted here's what i could find about the monsters

timing...they have a system that doesn't get one cam out of time with the other.....

monster xlr8 (5" brace) smoother draw and less harsh turnover than pse omen (5.5" brace)

many who shot both monster(6" brace) and xlr8(5" brace) felt the xlr8 was the smoother draw and shooter

field and stream did a head to head on xlr8 and omen, the draw was 3/8" longer on the monster and did 3 fps faster which explains things....plus the xlr8 does it with 80% let off where the omen was 70%...and field and stream comparo said same thing about smoother draw with less harsh turnover, also commented the xlr8 held very well on target and shot tight groups right away and end of day they said the pse felt lighter/quicker handling, said both were noisy by todays standards, i think the xlr8 was a bit noisier than the omen in this comparo

thomas crowe in u.s. apparently winning some big stuff with a monster xlr8 and was one of the guys who prefered it to the standard monster and some goza brothers also winning lots of stuff with xlr8's shooting fingers...takes a bit of googling to find out about them but not hard to google thomas crowe and his accomplishments/wins etc. with the xlr8....he competes at 80lbs too, a freak imo but interesting to read about

end of day i was glad that the xlr8 seemed to be most of what i was looking for over the other speed bows, seen a few times posted where the xlr8's were normally a bit faster than the omens as a rule of thumb etc. but the timing thing and hold steady comments along with the smoother draw/turnover combined to make me choose the xlr8....which makes it my third mathews but when i researched them it was with open mind, i wasn't determined to be brand specific on this bow choice, just ended up it seemed to offer more to me than the competition so its purely coincidence that its same brand as my last two bows, anyone knows me knows i want best i can find in gear, don't care who makes it so take for what its worth, i shot the omen and didn't mind it at all, i know what i'm getting into with these speed bows, so when my xlr8 gets here i'm sure it will be every bit as good or the tad better my research says, i'll be happy

no doubt will be some reports on it once i get shooting it, should be here in next week or so according to Jim
Hmm. Interesting. I have been shooting speed bows for years. My first ultra fast bow was a PSE Carrera with 80lb limbs. I have 5 or 6 other short brace height bows and am pretty comfortable with shooting them. I am currently shooting and X Force and love it. I have tested both the Monster xlr8 and the Omen. I have really liked Mathews bows in the past but in my mind this thing is a bust. Feels really unstable, top heavy, loud, creeky...maybe its just me but it really felt strange in my hand. I think i'll be buying the Omen.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting. I have been shooting speed bows for years. My first ultra fast bow was a PSE Carrera with 80lb limbs. I have 5 or 6 other short brace height bows and am pretty comfortable with shooting them. I am currently shooting and X Force and love it. I have tested both the Monster xlr8 and the Omen. I have really liked Mathews bows in the past but in my mind this thing is a bust. Feels really unstable, top heavy, loud, creeky...maybe its just me but it really felt strange in my hand. I think i'll be buying the Omen.
curious, when it felt strange in hand was it just that...in hand holding it out....or at full draw? I read the top heavy feel comment many times but echo'd along with it as many times were how well it pointed/held on target(at draw of course) so i assumed the top heavy feel comments were not at draw as not sure how you'd notice at draw.....can you confirm the 'top heavy' feel?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
curious, when it felt strange in hand was it just that...in hand holding it out....or at full draw? I read the top heavy feel comment many times but echo'd along with it as many times were how well it pointed/held on target(at draw of course) so i assumed the top heavy feel comments were not at draw as not sure how you'd notice at draw.....can you confirm the 'top heavy' feel?
I mean both i guess...? I noticed it wants to tip forward when not drawn but it also felt tippy to the left and right while at draw. Obviously i don't "grip" the bow handle while shooting and while holding it at draw it just didnt feel stable to me.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I mean both i guess...? I noticed it wants to tip forward when not drawn but it also felt tippy to the left and right while at draw. Obviously i don't "grip" the bow handle while shooting and while holding it at draw it just didnt feel stable to me.
thanks for clarifying, first i've heard of the unstable feeling at draw, goes against the holds/points well at draw most comments i found were related to that but heard many of the tip forward/top heavy not at draw type comments which didn't worry me at all as i don't often hold the bow like that

when i shot the omen i could tell exactly what the things i had read said about the draw and it seemed to hold/point well for me, i never noticed anything i didn't like at full draw.....but the draw was pretty rude and the turn over so harsh you'd want full containment type rest, thats in the field and stream head to head too...google, comes up readily, but i definitely noticed the same thing, the archery center threw a bisquit on the one i shot as they probably knew anything else would chuck the arrow off lol but like i said, that really isn't an issue for me as i shoot a bisquit anyhow so i'm expecting a rude draw and turnover anyhow, can't wait to see what i think of its hold/point at draw etc. and like you i don't grip the bow at all, finger tips lightly rest on front of riser once i'm settled in

not that i have used stabalizers in the past i thought i'd try one just in case which might help a not so stabile at draw effect if present but as mentioned everything i could find on it seemed to say different, i have a b-stinger 8.5 with quick disconnect and 11 oz weight coming so will give stabs a try again, i'm looking to tighten up my shizzo past the 70 yrd i'm currently solid too and apparently good stabs can help just that, hoping to gain up to 30 yrds on my existing comfort zone (range practice of course), the .010 pins for the long stuff will help a bit too, didn't have those when i set up last bow, the 19's get a bit big past 70
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Default Omen vs. Monster

I have shot both the X-force Omen and the Mathews Monster XLR8.
I found the Omen to be shaky and I don't like the back wall on it at all. Once the bow is drawn it feels like there should be more pull. The grip felt extremley slim in my hand and without griping the bow firmly would almost spin in my hand. This bow is extremely fast. (I shot a 67# 30" draw) Fun to shoot but multiple shots seem to be tiring.
The monster is a clunky version of the Omen. I found it was noisier, heavier and way less forgiving. Smoother draw and better back wall but that is the only nod it gets from me.
I will stick with my 08 Drenalin
junkie
Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

thanks for the feedback, sounds similar to the field and stream comparo, better draw, louder and holds well on target, heavier etc.

i don't shoot tons and know full well what i'm getting into, the switchback xt gets to stay as my back up rig and if i shot tons or got into 3d etc. i have the choice between the trail ride or the rodeo
Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

picked up the monster xlr8 today, shot a few times and did seem smoother draw and hump but your aweful glad once past that hump as it seems to like being at the wall and the valley seems very forgiving, doesn't just want to take off if you ease up a bit, first two draws i thought i'd be in trouble then asked for the bow scale...74 lbs....that explains it....dropped it down to between 65 and 70 and much nicer, i like how it felt at shot for naked set up, once decked out will be really nice to shoot other than the draw, i don't mind the top heavy, it wants to roll forward out of your hand when not at draw but at draw seems to hold steady and point well and the 80% let off is awesome so there is reward for putting up with that draw, i thought guys liked to free recoil bows and have them roll forward after the shot? if so then those guys will like this bow, i'm guessing the heavy stabalizer does same thing...

will start a thread soon with pics etc. and more updates as they come
Old 02-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Banned

Good deals, hope you find your happy spot with the monster, I'm interested to hear how things are going with that. I hope they are better for you than the reezen's "340 fps never felt so good" b.s. worked out for me. I went from shooting a switchback to the reezen and that's the reezen I'm shooting an x-force super short and a maxxis 31 now. I was so disapointed with the reezen I never gave the monster a shot but hopefully you can tell us good things about the monster. I'm a mathews fan and would buy another one in a heartbeat but not before I put at least 50-100 shots through one first. I shot the pse xforce gx and the axe 6, the bowtech destroyer 340 and the Hoyt alphaburnner but the ss is the one I felt comfortable with. Maybe you can post some good news on it. I'll just have to figure out what has to go that will make my wife let me have another bow. I gotta say it's been 18 years since I shot with a pse and I really like the new x-force ss. It'll sure make those all day elk hikes I mean hunts a little easier on the arms.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

thats some pretty awesome due diligence you did there,

i'm keeping my switchback xt so i have something i know i love and shoot well but truth is i wanted a 360 plus ibo hotrod so i was going to choose between the omen and xlr8 and my homework led me to the monster and now that i've shot both i'm happy that my homework has given me no surprises
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

i'm keeping my switchback xt so i have something i know i love and shoot well but truth is i wanted a 360 plus ibo hotrod so i was going to choose between the omen and xlr8 and my homework led me to the monster and now that i've shot both i'm happy that my homework has given me no surprises
Glad to hear you like it!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

did you shoot the omen?

Quote:

Old 02-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
did you shoot the omen?
yes, lighter nimbler feeling in hand, a bit harsher cam turn over for me and wanted to take off from the wall much easier, its like the xlr8 doesn't want to leave the wall and you've got to let up a fair bit before it goes....i don't mean let up as in distance traveled from the back wall but when letting down for example my switchback xt starts to pull past the valley before the xlr8 but its almost like you had to relief all holding effort to get it to take off and man does it take off, especially near the last half of its stroke when your letting down...so the xlr8 is very happy against the wall and i think you could hold it a lot longer/easier than the omen, and both felt good at the shot to me, i could be happy with either i'm sure but they are rowdy rude bows overall and i think they are pretty close that it would come down to individual feel,

i am not sure i'd be super keen on one of these as my only bow, but i may grow to love it in time, will see

mine came with pretty stout limbs and i've heard that a few times, not even cranked all the way and it was 74 lbs, i will play with it soon and see how high it really goes, i might get some 60 lb limbs for it just to see how hight they go as letting it back off to between 65&70 seems to have added a tiny bit to draw length, doesn't feel quite as good at the wall as it did at 74 but i can tell you right now that i will need to keep hitting the weights if i want to shoot that bugger much at 74...getting over the hump was almost depressing at that weight
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Default new bow

Hey wctbowtech u got one up at the store?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 AM

i own the monster 7 and i love it i only have it set at 70 lbs and blasting them out at 301 fps pretty impresive for me anyway only shooting 2 mths and shooting a 290 out of 300 score not to bad i think cant wait for bear season to open im hooked this is way better than crack cocain lol