Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Noob questions

Starting to think the old "If you can't beat them, join them" when I look at those generous archery seasons...

I'm thinking I'd like to hunt deer with a bow. Just deer, don't worry about any other species for now. No moose, no elk, no antelope. Probably use a treestand a lot (as I have one). I am 52, 6'3" tall, 220 lbs, in reasonably good but not great shape. I don't see myself going into competitions. Just fitting in a little archery season deer when I'm not bird hunting in Sept/Oct.

I see new bows costing anywhere from $300 up to $1000 (I'm sure there are many costing much more. I'm just talking about those in the WSS and BPS catelogues). I see different adjustable letoffs, draw weights, "IBO" speeds, draw length adjustments. pin sights, peep sights, rests, etc. etc. I don't want to spend a lot (probably look used before new), but what would you say a compound bow needs to have given my target game, physical atributes, and my inexperience? I'd like to diferentiate between the nice to haves and the need to haves. Same question with regard to accessories.

Of course I'll eventually visit some shops and get detailed advice before I plunk down my cash, but I'd appreciate some guidance now. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

You'll want a bow that can take up to a 30-32 inch draw length or so based on your height. Also, I'd think 60 pound draw or heavier would be better then not. Sights, you'll want a multiple pin fixed sight so you can sight in different yardages without making many movements (entry bow packages usually have a 3 pin sight from what I've seen, I'd personally get a 5). And to get going strictly for hunting, a Whisker Biscuit will probably be a safe bet for a rest for you if you want to stick to a budget.

Arrow selection will be a crucial point, and I'm not versed enough in it to start giving advice. I'd talk to a pro shop.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Default A little pro shop advice goes a long way

I agree with what has already been said. However, with respect to arrows. Arrows can be like bullets in terms of the discussion that can insue.

Anyway the most important thing to remember is this:
1) Arrows must have the appropriate spine (stiffness) for the type of bow you shoot (a good pro shop can help you figure this out). Stiffness is also a function of arrow length (shorter arrows will be stiffer than longer ones).

2) FOC % is very important for hunting. Its related to the balance point of the arrow (Pro shops can help with this as well). For hunting your FOC should be no less than 10 % 12 % is ideal.

Finally nothing matters more than your ability to judge distance and shoot accurately. So practice practice practice.......... Be hard on yourself and limit your kill shots to no further than 30 yards. Shoot as often as you can and make your practice sessions mimic your hunting sessions. I shoot a full round of 3D targets at our club three times a week with 9 of the targets being shot from all different angles and distances from our treestand platform.

Finally set your budget (meaning how much you want to spend to outfit yourself) Then go to your local proshop (preferably one with a range for shooting). Grab every bow off the rack in your price range and shoot them all. Then pick the one that feels the best for you. Buy it get the proshop to tune it and set it up for you and start shooting as often as you can.

Cheers,

Good luck next season.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Default Jimbow's archery

My best advice, would be to head down to a archery only shop, Jimbow's archery just off of Edmonton trail and Deerfoot. Jim the owner is a hunter and a target shooter. He will only sell you what you want, not what he needs to push.

Try some bows out, perahaps ask Jim to give some quick lessons which he always does, see what feels comfortable in your hands and your pocket book.

Used bows aren't a bad idea, if your not totally sure about the sport.Everything else will come after you get the esentials.

You will need :
-bow case
-release (unless you want to use fingers)
-the Bow
-Arrows
-Quiver
-Arrow sights
-arrow rest
-stabilizer
Those are most standard set ups.

Most bows that people use are Pse, Mathews, Bowtech/ Diamond, Apa ,Hoyt and Athens Archery is a new brand to check out as well.

Talk to Jim and he will fill in everything you need to know, and you will be glad you went there......Trust me.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 PM

I agree with Potty, check out Jimbow's, he knows everything and then some. He will teach you everything you will need to know.

Hopefully your in Calgary so you can check him out.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Default gotta visit Calgary Archery

to let someone start out in archery without visiting the Calgary Archery Center would just be wrong. Not bashing jimbows but the C.A.Cs' selection and expertise is top notch. if possible go in before 5pm because it does get busy especially on friday nights.They are "Canadas Largest Archery Lanes and Pro Shop" after all. they are at 4855-47st SE
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
to let someone start out in archery without visiting the Calgary Archery Center would just be wrong. Not bashing jimbows but the C.A.Cs' selection and expertise is top notch. if possible go in before 5pm because it does get busy especially on friday nights.They are "Canadas Largest Archery Lanes and Pro Shop" after all. they are at 4855-47st SE
I agree 100%

Obviously we all have our prefered shop and people we deal with. Potty and others get great service at Jimbows and that is great!

I pesonally would never use any shop but the C.A.C for everything i need. Check out both and see what you like best.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 AM

I think both are good archery shops, either way you are supporting a local business and keeping archery going. I have frequented both places over the years, and I have always been well taken care of. Sometimes though you get a better feel going to a smaller shop like JimBow's - I think thats like any business though, the bigger place is sometimes you don't get as personalized service like you do in a smaller setting. I do have to say that Jim at JimBow's is just a great guy, very down to earth and knowledgeable. I always enjoy visiting with him, just a stellar guy.

I would say for you just starting out the most important thing is once you kind of have your price range narrowed down a bit, shoot a few different bows - maybe even bring a notepad or something and write down some things you notice about each one. How does the draw cycle feel? How does the bow feel in your hand? Does it feel heavy or light? How does it feel when you release the arrow? Is there noise or vibration? Just things like that - you want something that is going to be very natural to shoot, very comfortable in your hand and for just starting out something quite stable. Something with a longer brace height will be more comfortable to shoot and more forgiving.

Bows these days built for hunting are more than fast enough for hunting deer, so try not to get caught up too much in the details. Bottom line - if it isn't comfortable to shoot you're not going to enjoy it much. Get the best you can afford but make sure you leave yourself enough to equip it with good accessories as well. You don't want to cheap out on your sight and arrow rest, etc.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
I am just getting into archery as well, have been treated great by the staff at CAC. No pressure to buy something out of my price range and they have a selection of used bows and older bows with prices reduced. The package bows include arrows, a release and 3 range sessions, so you are ready to shoot!

I have not been to Jimbows but with how I have been treated by CAC so far and it being 5 minutes from work I cant see spending my money somewhere else.

BTW anyone want to buy my Bass Pro gift cards that I was saving up for a bow??