Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-21-2010, 07:06 PM

Default Atom broadheads

hey everyone i just bought some atom broadheads they are from arrowdynamic solutions i have seen a few videos of them being used and they seem to work great but i tried them in a block fusion and the wire came out all bent and ya so im not gettin a good vibe from these does any 1 use them and have any experiences with them please let me know
Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 AM

I have not shot these heads so I can't give you any
first-hand field experience, but they did catch my eye
so I have done some research on them.
I've read a couple reviews and an article or two and
what I've gathered is that they do fly quite good however,
durability is a problem in almost every situation.
One review writer said he couldn't even site his bow in
because all the blades came out/broke/bent before he could finish.

There's lots of durable fixed blade designs out there that fly
just as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
hey everyone i just bought some atom broadheads they are from arrowdynamic solutions i have seen a few videos of them being used and they seem to work great but i tried them in a block fusion and the wire came out all bent and ya so im not gettin a good vibe from these does any 1 use them and have any experiences with them please let me know

Check into the reviews on these broadheads. A buddy of mine hit a elk this past fall with one and it was right where it was susposed to be and he didn't get the results that he was hoping for. He ended up shooting the bull 4 days later with his rifle. I think if your using them for deer they would be fine, but on larger game their not a very good choice.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Definitely go with something more durable - the last thing you want is that head breaking off blades and coming apart on you.

For elk a lot of guys will only use a cut on impact design - I have read about different guiding outfits that will actually only allow certain cut on impact fixed blade broadheads, they won't even allow guys to use expandables. Deer are tough as nails too, especially those big old bucks - you don't want to take any chances at the moment of truth.

Like WithoutWarning said, there are several fixed blade designs available that fly extremely well and are super durable. I started shooting with Slick Tricks last year, I have the 4 blade 125 grain magnums and they are super accurate, tough, and super sharp. I can put an arrow dead center into a 3" diameter circle at 50 yards with them - not that I would take a shot at that distance while hunting but it is a testament to their accuracy for sure.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Smile

ya i just bought some grim reapers they perform a lot better in the target i had some slick tricks and didnt like them one of the guys at the archery shop here shot a bull elk with them and made a perfect shot and didnt recover the animal so not to keen on the slick tricks and i have a horror story with the rage 3 blade made a perfect shot at 19 yards on a doe in the lungs and followed her for 2 miles b4 loseing blood and not finding her that was 1 and only time i use rage 3 blade so what i am takin out of these replies is that the atom things are chit lol so does any 1 want to buy some atom broadheads 75 gr 5 with blades 1 with none lol
Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
. I started shooting with Slick Tricks last year, I have the 4 blade 125 grain magnums and they are super accurate, tough, and super sharp. I can put an arrow dead center into a 3" diameter circle at 50 yards with them - not that I would take a shot at that distance while hunting but it is a testament to their accuracy for sure.
And another person I've heard that loves the Slick Tricks. I've been trying to ask questions to lots of bowhunters over the last month, and these blades keep coming up. They'll be what I'm buying this year.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 PM

I use the slick tricks and love them. Everyone in my family uses them. We got them after Jim at Jimbows recommended them who has always been a very trustful guy when it comes to referring archery products.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM

i like the rage 2 blade 2"+ broadheads leaves big holes and goes throw bone pretty good.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:07 PM

i have shot a few different broadheads including mechanicals. I prefer a fixed blade with a wicked nasty tip on it. (eg. grim reaper hades, G5, muzzy mx-3 or mx-4)
junkie