Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Default Fly fishing spot march 20/2012

Looking to practice fly fishing tomorrow is there any good spots to learn? Anyone have the day off to show a guy a few tips?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM

what part of the province are you in?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Calgary NW
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Get down to the Bow River.....I'm pretty sure the South end of the city might be the only part open now, though I'm not positive. I just started last season and after a few tangles I got into the swing of things,even landed a few nice trout. Now it's just a matter of working on what I got. I'm also thinking of hitting the park in my neighborhood to work on casting. Probably looks a little goofy and there's not much to catch in the grass but it's good to work on the presentation end of things.
Good luck!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
Get down to the Bow River.....I'm pretty sure the South end of the city might be the only part open now, though I'm not positive. I just started last season and after a few tangles I got into the swing of things,even landed a few nice trout. Now it's just a matter of working on what I got. I'm also thinking of hitting the park in my neighborhood to work on casting. Probably looks a little goofy and there's not much to catch in the grass but it's good to work on the presentation end of things.
Good luck!
Very common and recommended to practice on dry land. Throw a hula hoop on the ground and try land a piece of sponge or something light on the end in it. Start close and move further. Allow for wind etc.. Can't get better practice than that.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM

the bow is wide open from side to side in the south end of the city, I was out yesterday trying out my new setup. TR brings a good point though, the hula hoop things sounds like it'd work good and there are probably a few ponds that are nearly ready in the surrounding area's, along with a couple lakes that will be fully open in the coming weeks! good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

I'll go out, I don't fly fish.. but I now of a sweet hole for you to flyfish! and to catch fish! Wednesday!