Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:43 AM

Default Hunting Suspension

hey so i know of a person who has been suspended for a season, is it illegal for them to tag along and drive a vehicle with a hunter? If he isn’t hunting and has no intentions by not having a rifle or being out on foot with a weapon is that still legal?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:41 AM

Is this another waterfowl outfitting thread?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 AM

There some interpretation needs to be determined. Is driving a truck participating in the “hunt”? My opinion is it should be ok to drive around in a vehicle. But if they are spotting game then they are participating.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 AM

Default Not hunting ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealHuntsman View Post
hey so i know of a person who has been suspended for a season, is it illegal for them to tag along and drive a vehicle with a hunter? If he isn’t hunting and has no intentions by not having a rifle or being out on foot with a weapon is that still legal?
Great first post . I am no legal expert so I won't comment on it being illegal or legal.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Legal to tag along

Been there done that unfortunately. The suspended hunter is not allowed to shoot. Drive truck, push bush etc etc is not actually shooting so not hunting. Participation is allowed.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krthegunslinger View Post
Been there done that unfortunately. The suspended hunter is not allowed to shoot. Drive truck, push bush etc etc is not actually shooting so not hunting. Participation is allowed.
“Pushing bush” is actually hunting as per the regulations definition. They are best to ask the F&W folks what they can and cannot do. As you can see below many activities outside of “shooting” an animal are considered and defined as “hunting”.

From the Alberta Wildlife Act:

“hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

LC
Old 10-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
It might be best for them to sit out the season and think about what a lifetime suspension would feel like.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 AM

X2 on sit it out.
Secondly, asking anyone except a Wildlife official is crazy.
Like getting legal advice on the internet. Oh, that's exactly what this is.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 AM

Sub clause ii always confused me, literally all of those things are done by wildlife photographers, birders and those types. If weapons or intent don’t factor into whether it’s hunting then could the argument not be made that they would be required to follow all hunting regulations? To me the intent for someone to shoot makes it hunting even if you aren’t the one “hunting”.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:17 PM

I would think if they are driving, pushing bush, running cutlines looking for sign then that would be classed as hunting. If they are sitting in camp, cutting wood, cooking, etc. Then that would be camping.

BW
Old 10-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Banned

If a persons drivers licence is under suspension ?

Wouldn't it be against the law to ride along in a motor vehicle ?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMhunt View Post

Is that how the law is written?? Lol NO silly argument.

LC
Old 10-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMhunt View Post

In this case the person would have a driving suspension, not a riding suspension!

BW
Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
In this case the person would have a driving suspension, not a riding suspension!

BW
And post #1 is about someone who has been suspended from purchasing a hunting licence for 1 year ,

Not suspended from riding in vehicles , lmao
Old 10-21-2019, 03:02 PM

Your comparison of hunting to driving is absurd and makes little to no sense BTW.

LC
Old 10-21-2019, 03:29 PM

You could probably talk to fish and wildlife officer #1 he would tell you yes its allowed then be out and officer #2 charge him for being out there. He should probably just take a year off.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
“Pushing bush” is actually hunting as per the regulations definition. They are best to ask the F&W folks what they can and cannot do. As you can see below many activities outside of “shooting” an animal are considered and defined as “hunting”.

From the Alberta Wildlife Act:

“hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

LC
looks black and white to me.....sit it out cuz if your there you are part of all of the above....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM

I saw the title of the thread and said to myself, I bet he's asking for a friend.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I saw the title of the thread and said to myself, I bet he's asking for a friend.
Yup great 1st post

LC
Old 10-21-2019, 05:07 PM

So you can't walk, without a firearm, with a liscenced hunter in the bush, or on a trail, or in a vehicle if you are suspended? You are now hunting? YOu cannot accompany to help retrieve a downed animal?

Because if the above is the case, a non hunter, not carrying a rifle, is breaking the law by accompanying a liscenced hunter at any time, even in a vehicle, let alone while the other individual is actively hunting. Even a child accompanying and adult.

Both senarios are the same. The accompanying person is not hunting. Period. 100% legal.

Now start pushing bush, another story. Driving a truck around to pick up hunters, grey area.

Drive, walk, sit, stand, dance with a liscenced hunter all you want. Don't carry a gun. You are not hunting.

May be the best remedy to set your friend straight, seeing the enjoyment you're having this season.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
So you can't walk, without a firearm, with a liscenced hunter in the bush, or on a trail, or in a vehicle if you are suspended? You are now hunting? YOu cannot accompany to help retrieve a downed animal?

Because if the above is the case, a non hunter, not carrying a rifle, is breaking the law by accompanying a liscenced hunter at any time, even in a vehicle, let alone while the other individual is actively hunting. Even a child accompanying and adult.

Both senarios are the same. The accompanying person is not hunting. Period. 100% legal.

Now start pushing bush, another story. Driving a truck around to pick up hunters, grey area.

Drive, walk, sit, stand, dance with a liscenced hunter all you want. Don't carry a gun. You are not hunting.

May be the best remedy to set your friend straight, seeing the enjoyment you're having this season.
Up to the judge and courts to decide what the definition covers

LC
Old 10-21-2019, 05:46 PM

I will agree that I also think it is a great first post. Nice to see people seeking advise to legitamet hunting senarios.

Too bad there are those on this forum that would rather fear monger and feel they need to be the moral authority and lecture those that post.

Yah, go into the bush, don't do anything illegal, and you now have to stand before a court and judge? the liberals have not formed government with the NDP yet, so I don't think we are in russia(yet)

Post once or 33333333333333333 times. No body needs a lecture.

Anyways, one of the first things a co will ask anybody is,"are you hunting" answer is no. End of conversation.

Now try walking around the bush with a firearm staying you need it for protection, again, your asking for it.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:02 PM

If your post was directed to me...where did I lecture? I quoted exact regulation helping out the OP.

LC
Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Default Hunting

So if you are tagged out for the season it would be classed as illegal to sit in a stand or a blind with your child because by definition you are hunting with no tag. Got it.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 PM

I’m sure the guy is a regular on this form but for this question a new account was made. I bet after this post he goes back to his old account and this one goes silent. Guy is just asking a question but is scared to post because he doesn’t want to get roasted.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 PM

Old 10-21-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
So if you are tagged out for the season it would be classed as illegal to sit in a stand or a blind with your child because by definition you are hunting with no tag. Got it.
Coyotes are open past big game season and so are upland birds

LC
Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Up to the courts and judge to decide that one,,,,,,,,,
Old 10-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Assuming you aren’t road hunting, he can ride in the truck and he can also have a firearm with him. He just can’t participate in the hunt as per his licence suspension. He can drop you guys off and go shoot coyotes on private land. He can then pick you up at dark or whatever. This isn’t communist China just yet.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post

And... buddy with the suspension won’t be getting any breaks from f&w nor should they.
Closed Thread