Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Question How to convince the wife

Well my problem started when my pathfinder crapped out. I was forced into buying a sunfire as it was a cheap and fast buy. Now that hunting season is around the corner i need a truck, Im looking at a 1994-1998 toyota tacoma. now the issue the wife is a firm beleiver that all "old" trucks are P.O.S. and wants me to buy a brand new or near new truck, one that i can take hunting but cant abuse, no trails, mud or water crossings. Now i cant justify to myself spending 40 - 50 grand on a truck i cant use. I would rather spend 6-7 grand on a lifted 4x4 toyota with bigger tires to get me to where i need to go one i can take through the trees where ever i need to go. She had an older car where the motor mounts were rusted out and the motor dropped on the highway and took the stearing rod with it, then my pathfinder needed quite a bit of front end work to get it on the road so between that and her views on older higher mileage trucks we argue about it all the time lol. I dont want to just go out and get one as I will be in the dog house till hunting season, What can i do to convince her. Iv tried to tell her she lets me get what I want for a truck in the summer she can get what she wants. I need some help!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

welcome to the forum. where the heck do you live that hunting season is just around the corner? most of it is in the rearview mirror here in alberta.

as for the question....arithmetic is usually a pretty good argument. explain the cost of new vs used and how many repairs can be done for the cost difference. if you will be driving it more than her, and you are ok with the down time that repairs can mean, then used would make more sense for you.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 PM

How about something in between both sides.

Like a used but low mileage diesel truck.....some really good buys out there right now that things are still a bit slow in the oilfield. You can get a nice truck that she would not be embarrassed (I am thinking this might be the issue for her) to ride in and you would still be able to lift it, modify it, use it hard without cringing and best of all you still would have less money out of the pocket...maybe only 30K at most after tires, offroad lights, bumpers, winch and modifications.

I guess the point is...find out the reason for her want you to have a new truck and work for a middle ground that meets yours and her needs. You may end up with the best of both worlds.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Well i live in alberta haha, was not able to go out this season cause of the costs of putting her into university, so i keep telling myself its just around the corner i know its not but. have to tell yourself its not to far lmao. and as far as a diesel goes, im a small truck kinda guy, I go past way to many people that are stuck in those larger domestics (not to stir the pot) but imports are the only way to go. I also appreciate your replies thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM

its better to ask for forgivence(sp) then for permission, advice from my dad lol he went out and bought a brand new sled without telling my mom she got over it LOL, I am the same way iam going to be looking at a buying a used quad with out telling my woman, they get over it or buy them flowers and take them out for a nice dinner LOL

CN
Old 12-19-2010, 12:46 PM

I got a '88 4Runner that I just started using for 4-wheeling again in August.
Standard trans, manual 4WD, and manual hubs. It only has PS, PB.

Ya can't kill 'em! They'll take all kinds of abuse, cheap on gas, and parts are cheap and plentiful, and they're easy to repair yourself. You'd do pretty good with a pre-95.

One thing though - even old ones can be kinda pricey. I saw a '86 at Country Hills Toyota in worse condition than mine and they wanted 4500 bucks!

If you can find an old one in good condition for a reasonable price, and spend a few bucks on anything wrong with it, it'll probably last you 20 years without major expenses.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM

I'd do as mentioned above, and split the difference. Looking for a smoking deal on an older vehicle is most likely going to turn into a smoking bomb. I went thru the same thing as you a few years ago. I started out looking for a real good deal on a used 4x4, the only problem was all the good deals I looked at were very rough, even though the mileage was low. I'd look for a truck that is a nice clean, one owner vehicle, with low mileage, and preferably not off roaded.
In the end I caved, and bought new, as I always try to keep momma happy, and if me driving a new truck is what it takes, who am I to argue . Choose your battles carefully.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:53 PM

personally would not but anything newer than 1999,,newer stuff is way over priced and very expensive to fix ,some newer stuff cannot be fixed,most i ever payed for a 4x4 truck is $2500,00 then i go trough it make it nice,,one of my favourite 4x4s is jeep cheap to fix and cheap on gas.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Well surely you can explain to your wife that since you will be the person driving it, you will NOT whine or complain if the vehicle needs repairs.
I think your being reasonable and financially responsible.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 AM

check to see if any M D or county pick ups. are coming up for bids or oil field pick ups as alot of theses are driven by managers or office people and seldom go out to the field, and then usualy only where you can go with 2 wheel drive.these pick ups are usualy well maintained, and alot of people dont like orange or yellow witch is color most of theses would be. JUST A THOUGHT
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Thumbs up Thanks Every One

thanks for the tips everyone, i appreciate it. I will use these tips and hopefully i can get the truck that i need to get me out hunting without breaking the bank or my relationship haha
Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 AM

I'm kinda in the same boat...I've got a 2006 F-150 with 142,000km on it that I'm really considering selling or trading. Its been a good truck but its time for something with less km on it.

I've got the choice to go look at buying new or buying used again. Buying new bugs the heck outta me for the money lost driving off the lot, but buying used is always a risk with repairs, lemons, etc.

If someone has a perfect answer for me too...lets hear it!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Hmmmm trying to convince the wife that you should spend LESS money on one of your toys.... I'm sorry, I can be of no help to you. Totally foreign concept to me.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I can't help much either. when I got married, way back when dirt was first invented, my wife and I divided up the responsibilities. She took all the big decisions and I took the small ones.

She decides what we are going to do about things like North Korea, nuclear non proliferation treaties, global worming, Prince Harry's wedding etc.

I decide the little stuff like when I buy my truck and what kind and whether or not she is responsible and pleasant enough to be allowed to drive it.

We have 3 pickups. The no payment thing is awesome. We both drive with some common sense. I try to keep the maintenance up and for the most part we very seldom have anything major go wrong.

We LIKE driving out trucks and that is a big plus. My 2000 gmc has about 430,000 kms and I love driving it.

I had some front end work done recently and I'll touch up some paint this winter, but other than that she goes when I want it too,

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand