Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Default Outfitting a Diamond Iceman

I have a 2009 RH 70# Ice Man on the way and is still bare.

I'd appreciate some recommendations on what any of you think would be some quality sights, rest etc. for price value?

Thanks in Advance,
Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Hunting or target?or both?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 PM

The rest I would recommend the most is the QAD Ultra Pro. Adjusts easy and is a fall-away with lockdown and total containment. You'll spend around 125 on this rest but do it. For sights I would go with Spott-Hogg. I am currently using a SDP with wrap, but any of their sights are solid, your just buying more pins or more precise adjustability. If you don't want to spend $200+ for a sight, look at Sword, Copper John, and even Cobra has some solid stuff out now for around $80. With the Ice Man kranked up to 70# and a 28"+ DL, you will be shooting over 280fps with 400 gr arrows so a 4 pin sight should get you out to 60yds.
For stabilizers, if you are just looking to get rid of vibration (I doubt you'll have any with the Ice Man) the Limbsaver for 25 bones is great. Otherwise look at Doinker, Fuse, or Octane.
Octane makes great gear for the rest of the stuff.
Oh, and look at the Scott Little Goose for a good release. I've had mine for 6 years and still won't switch.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM

If your not keen on setting up a drop away rest, you can always go with a wisker bisket, or a Hostage, they seem to be pretty good as well. G5 makes some nice looking sights, although I can't really say much about them other than they look very durable.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 PM

Default ice man

I set my ice man up with spot hog real deal 5pin with hog wrap and a G5 rest octan stabilizer and a fuse quiver. Octan is making a real good looking set of sights and rest now the sights and rest are a copy of the spot hog stuff. Im shooting my bow at 65pounds at 29" draw with victory arrows at 28.5" with a 100grn tip doing 297fps nice bow great choice
Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM

Default Setting up the Iceman

Great choice of bow!

I'll be outfitting another bow soon (I've just purchased a Bowtech Captain) and will be looking for accessories as well. I'm currently using a Spot Hogg wrapped Real Deal, Ripcord drop away rest, Octane 2 piece quiver (on my Guardian).

For the new bow- Real Deal wrapped sight is hard to beat, though I would try smaller pins next time (currently .029 "). I also like the new "Red Zone" sight from Montana Black Gold, the pin adjustment is great and it's strong. Octane's new sight looks good and Spot Hogg has some interesting new ones too.

The Ricord rest has been flawless. I like that you can "thumb" the launcher arm to the "up" position if you so choose. But, I'm trying the new Tripwire from Octane. Can always go back to the Ripcord later.

The Octane 2 piece bow mounted quiver is great. Highly adjustable and solid build, but with the magnetic hood, which I do like, it is heavy! I'll either mount Octane's new Bantam quiver or try the new "Tight Spot" from Montana Black Gold. Sits close to the bow, helping with balance and maneuverability.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
If your not keen on setting up a drop away rest, you can always go with a wisker bisket, or a Hostage, they seem to be pretty good as well. G5 makes some nice looking sights, although I can't really say much about them other than they look very durable.
If you are going to go with the Hostage rest don't shoot to much. i had one on my Bowtech and i was changing the brushes a lot(i shoot a lot). The brushes would start to wear unevenly on the one side and the arrow would slowly drift to that side. I now shot the QAD Ultra Rest LD and love it.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the responses on outfitting my Iceman..

I've been slammed with work (Best Salmon Fishing in many years) and have the sweet looking bow staring at me from the corner reminding me that Hunting season will happen sooner than I am ready for.
I have not made any purchases on these recommendations yet, but am now ready to get items pieced together.
I'll post on the Hunting classified section to see if there are items new or near new that some want to shed from the collection. If any of you have these extras, fire me a PM or e-mail through my site at www.tofinofishing.com

Thanks again
Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM

ttt....

Still have not had time to get organized with components for Iceman, so am on the search if anyone has suggestions on best shop/retailer or slightly used.

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM

mine is setup with the hostage pro shoot through rest,true glo xtreme sight,octance stabilizer w/2oz weight,loop and a cobra release. draw is 29,weight's a tad over 70, 26.5 in carbons 9.5 per inch with 85 gr broadheads. not sure what the speed is. the sight has .29 pins and i have bought .19 pins to use at ranges greater than 55yards. she's ah sweet sweet bow. so quiet that i can hear the tubing on the peep sight, im probably gonna replace it with a piece of dacron.

Last edited by Nait Hadya; 09-07-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand junkie View Post
I set my ice man up with spot hog real deal 5pin with hog wrap and a G5 rest octan stabilizer and a fuse quiver. Octan is making a real good looking set of sights and rest now the sights and rest are a copy of the spot hog stuff. Im shooting my bow at 65pounds at 29" draw with victory arrows at 28.5" with a 100grn tip doing 297fps nice bow great choice
297 seems a little fast!!!!!!! BUt it is a very nice bow.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:00 AM

I shoot a Trophy Taker (with no complaints) but my hunting buddies are using the QAD ultra rest and love it so I"ll endorse them because they are slick.. Sword or Spott-Hogs for sites (.010 pins). G5 Meta peep, Easton FMJ's, G5 Montecs or Strikers, and Luminoks. Cat quivers are the cats @ss too.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post
297 seems a little fast!!!!!!! BUt it is a very nice bow.
well then the last 30 arrows threw the crono mest be lying to me. Thats a 325grn arrow total they claim 318fps with a 70lb bow 29" draw with a 305grn arrow the best part is its punching bullet holes wile paper tunning any were from 5 feet to 10yards
Old 09-26-2009, 05:10 PM

Default Outfitted Iceman.....

Thanks again for the feedback.

Finally got away from work long enough to get my 11 yr old son's Razor's Edge cranked up to legal 45# for our Peace hunt, and my new Iceman set up.
Quiet Fast and Sweeeeet!!!!!

Ended up getting some components from AO member in Edson (Thanks again Don) and went with a new Ripcord rest that seems flawless.
It has been years since I spent serious time on a compound and am going to enjoy this next month of 3D target shooting at home. I have only pounded 40 or so arrows through since getting it set up last night, and feel that I am going to get back in the groove pretty quick.

Still need to set up some broadheads, likely G5's, and then might even be ready for this season if I can get enough time and arrows through this new unit.

One question is if any of you think a stabalizer is recommended, as it is close to balanced but not perfect.

Jay
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default Too fast??

I disagree with that statement. Truly believe that around 296 FPS is the optimum speed with the best accuracy. Speed doesn't mean accuracy just the opposite. Set all my bows up to shoot as close to 296 as possible. Tough for me because I shoot short draw. Just my opinion.