Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-13-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry rednek View Post
to albertagamechaser. Give me a private message, I love to hunt and can offer that experienced hunter feel. I also am looking for a hunting partner but due to everyone in this province being a workaholic it seems very hard to find anyone that can get out regularly or for any amount of time.
Hello Backcountry rednek and albertagamechaser - I live in Sherwood Park and although I am relatively new to hunting (last fall was my first season bow hunting), I am looking for hunting partners around the area that I can learn from. It is hard to hunt in the Sherwood Park area since a lot of landowners are opposed to hunting and I personally have seen some huge bucks (whitetail). I do however, have a few leads on some landowners that I want to go out and make contact with. I am looking for someone to do this with me. My husband is not a hunter but is weary of me going out on my own. Maybe I can establish some contacts for us and you could help to teach me to hunt! I am a hardworker and love the outdoors and also am in decent shape.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Fort Mac spring bears

I'm stationed in fort Mac for a while and was wondering if anyone would like to chase some springs bears after work. Send me a pm if your interested.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Hey, looking for a mentor for small non-license game, preferably rabbit, but doesn't matter.
I've tried hunting by myself but with no success yet.
Any takers around the Edmonton Area willing to partner up with me by chance?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Default hello everybody it hard to get into this pages and find anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Hey guys and gals, with bow season just around the corner I think it's time for the 'hunting partner thread'. Last year we had a similar thread that was quite successfull in helping hunters hook up with others wanting a hunting partner.
It's a GREAT way to make new friends and the plus side to having a partner is very rewarding. Many life long friendships are made this way.

After 2 consecutive grizzly attacks ( 07 & 08 ) in the Sundre area, many of us 'go alone hunters' were questioning how safe it is to be out there by ourselves. I remember some of the discussions we had on this forum about hunter safety and it prompted me to start last years thread and I also have permission from one of the mods to do one this year.

If your a newbie, recently moved to Alberta from another province or maybe just decided two is better than one, please feel free to leave your name here.

Give the guys a little background about yourself and what kind of hunting your interested in and I'm sure you'll find a suitable partner.

Stay safe out there and g'luck filling those tags!!

Here is a link to the other thread from last year.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...unting+partner
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up need a good, hard working hunting partner (on foot)

hey, what's up guys.. how many of you feel like this is man dating hahhaha? My girl gives me a hard time all the time about it, but good on her, I give her too hard of a time daily for her not to pay me back a bit hhaha

About me-I am a very experienced 38 yo outdoorsman, "one of the boyz" my whole life playing football, rugby, hockey, and a bunch of other sports. I'm a solid outdoorsman, hunting, camping and fishing/flyfishing starting around the age of about 4, and growing up in the country, when my Dad would take me on weekly excursions for deer, grouse and trout in NB, often staying in lean-tos on WE canoe treks through miles of rugged strings of lakes.

I have lived in Calgary for 10 yrs, and have loved the outdoor adventures here from the start. I've fly-fished for trout from day 1 here, and I just got back into hunting when I bought my first home 4 yrs ago in SE Calgary with my girl and lab pup. I love hitting the foothills around SW and NW Calgary for deer, moose, and elk with the bow and rifle. I got a moose with my bow. Now, I really want to get an elk, but have yet to seal the deal!

I also got back into ducks and geese 2 falls ago for the first time in 20 yrs, and it was a tonne of fun! I have a raft for collecting the downed birds on the bow river close to home. Growing up I'd hunt with my Dad and some of my best buddies; years of great memories. I have had a few hunting partners since getting back into it in Calgary, but haven't found the right fit yet.

I do most of my big game hunting in the foothills as my screen name suggests, and on foot, so there are a few things about this type of hunting, as I have come to find out, that are not for everyone, which makes finding the right partner at times challenging.

A few important points for this type of hunting to consider before emailing me are:

1/ Ya can't be too scared of yogi (aka bears), they are around, no avoiding it, even if you are recovering an animal after dark, take bear spray when you are bow hunting fellas
2/ You must be comfortable/capable of lugging out large game---elk and moose are big, I have a pack frame and a gamecart, but these guys are big...being in shape is important for the task at hand, even mulies are pretty big for that matter!!
3/The terrain can be very demanding---foothills come in many shapes and sizes from little dimples to mini-mountains, you have to be in shape to do it on foot
4/Having fun in the beauty, peace and calm of the outdoors is why we are out there, being negative, argumentative or being stressed out for the majority of the day are not conducive to having a good time in my humble opinion
5/I'll just say it... ya kinda need to be ok with hard work and possess an element of toughness to march up and down the foothills on foot, dragging big game for possibly a few Km at times, as there is no easy way to hunt this way, that's why many aren't successful at it, ya gotta work to get your animals; I usually bag 2 deer every year, and often don't see others where I go;
6/The hunting season starts in the Spring with shooting/bow practise and scouting, you need to possess skills or you shouldn't be out there in my opinion, these animals are too valuable to just try your luck at it.

To me, solid hunters likely don't drive audi's, wear E. Hurley t-shirts with flip-flops, and don't need guides to be successful. They also probably do not demand that their potential hunting partners must own alfalfa farm fields or butchering equipment(these comments always amaze me on this site, as I feel it shows how self-centred some folks can be). If you get a partner with such set-ups consider it an awesome privilege, so awesome ya should feel lucky, and not brag about your luck to your buddies. No one, except the very kindest person out there, is going to just offer up to perfect strangers prime alfalfa fed animals on private land or butcher your animals for free while you stand there and watch with your hands clean, if you think they will, you need to give your head a shake.

I am looking for a solid, tough, honest, loyal, consistent hunting partner to meet up with most weeks during the season. I am looking for someone who is a solid outdoorsman, patient, not scared of bears or cold weather, knows how to keep it light, fun, and upbeat, and can hike a distance without complaining about it. I would like to hook up with an old school hunting enthusiast, not someone who is mesmorized by smartphones, the latest gadgets, and warm feet. Hunting in my mind is hard work (not about the brand names of your equipment), and comes with some sacrifice at times (potentially looking for game at night, lugging out heavy game and supplies on your back, sleeping in the cold, walking long distances etc). I feel the hard work should always finish with a cold beer or 2 at the end of the day, and some good laughs. I like having a good time when hunting. In the end, outdoor skills, knowing how to have a great time in the peace of the outdoors, and taking care of the animals we are after are the most important parts of our hunts. As I said, I don't have an ATV, so my work is done on foot. I do have a game cart, and a couple frames for packing boned-out moose or elk out of the forest. I also have a backcountry pack and just went on my first backcountry bow elk trip with a buddy of mine last Fall, great time! We saw some elk, but tough to get within bow range, they are a great challenge! I'd really like to start getting into WMU 402, and concentrate on the end of sept gen elk rifle season for a bull in the mass of forest down there.

I am a fella that always gets my animals during the fall, and would like to meet up with a similar serious hunter that is a good, solid, trustworthy, funny guy.

I feel like, work hard and play moderately hard is a good motto for my hunting. The camaraderie, beers, and laughs are why I want to meet up with another good solid hunting partner similar to my younger days.

From a processing standpoint, I may or may not use a butcher again if I am lucky enough again to down a big, big, big guy, but I am making the transition this year to being a home processor for my deer, buying a meat grinder in the summer, and I already have all the boning and butcher knives purchased. I would definitely share my equipment with a good hunting partner, so we could do up some great products.
I make wicked deer jerky too in my smoker...they make awesome snacks during the fall hunt, reminding ya of one of the many reasons you are out there!

I don't like sharing locations with most people, so if ya shoot me a PM or an email, I'd like to go out for a few beers and maybe some target practise a few times before going hunting to ensure a good fit.

Good luck this yr afield fellas!
Adam
Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 AM

looking for a hunting partner in germany
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Hello everyone!
New to this site and I thought I would try this thread out for a hunting partner.
Looking for a fairly well seasoned hunting partner who can help a intermediate some things.
Been hunting myself for about 5 years and in no shape way the or form have had huge success. I am 32, married living in s.e calgary.
I would like to get moving fairly quickly and go out to get some permission on some land and maybe get some gophers and small game.
So if anyone is interested. Please contact me here on this site!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 AM

Default needs hunting partner

I have hunted for 40 years and 35 years of that I hunted alone,i wasted five years of hunting with guys that thought they knew everything and gave me more headaches than it was worth, some wanted to stay close to the road,half them talked bull s/// about Ihow bad their lives were ,had to have shower every 3 days,some got lost in the the bush,five times I spent looking for these dummies for more than 2 days, 80 percent had poor firearms and wounded more game than I could count.I could go on for a week about hunting with a partner.If you need to bond, go find a girl,that.s the best bonding you can do is in town.Who the hell would want to hang out with 6 guys for a week.I shot it,I gut it,I hull it out my self, I don't care if it's an elephant . I seen 8 guys from gta area who were north of kenora Ontario ,the moose was in a small bush maybe 2 acers and they circled that bush and one guy went in to push it out in the open, the other 7 emptied their clips in that moose over 25 shots at that moose and he still went 500 yards than they start yelling and sreaming like the won the lotto,no respect for that moose at all.If I don't drop my animal on the first shot where it is standing ,I am very upset with myself,that is a living thing I am shooting at I don't have the right to hurt it.If your out their just to get a rush,your not a hunter; go and jump of a cliff will give you big rush just before you hit the ground,the impact will take away your rush.
Their is nothing better than doing your own hunt,you learn to love the things nature has to offer and learn to respect everything in the bush ,trusting yourself in good and bad situations makes you the hunter a confident one who depends on no one but himself.Their is no better sound than silence and the sound of just your own foot steps.It is what it is.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 AM

Default new bowhunters

My lady and I are new to the archery\hunting scene. (6 mos to be exact). in the time we've been into this we've learned quite alot but we need to learn way more than what we know right now. Neither of us want to miss any action this season as this will be our first bow hunt. If there is any bow hunters in the Medicine Hat area willing to show us the ropes and the ins and outs it would be greatly appreciated!! Drop me a message anytime. Dyin to get my hands on any knowledge I can gain.... equipment, spot and stalk, blinds, field dressing, ect.
Thanx so much for all of you that have helped us to get to this point so far
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrteam View Post
I have hunted for 40 years and 35 years of that I hunted alone,i wasted five years of hunting with guys that thought they knew everything and gave me more headaches than it was worth, some wanted to stay close to the road,half them talked bull s/// about Ihow bad their lives were ,had to have shower every 3 days,some got lost in the the bush,five times I spent looking for these dummies for more than 2 days, 80 percent had poor firearms and wounded more game than I could count.I could go on for a week about hunting with a partner.If you need to bond, go find a girl,that.s the best bonding you can do is in town.Who the hell would want to hang out with 6 guys for a week.I shot it,I gut it,I hull it out my self, I don't care if it's an elephant . I seen 8 guys from gta area who were north of kenora Ontario ,the moose was in a small bush maybe 2 acers and they circled that bush and one guy went in to push it out in the open, the other 7 emptied their clips in that moose over 25 shots at that moose and he still went 500 yards than they start yelling and sreaming like the won the lotto,no respect for that moose at all.If I don't drop my animal on the first shot where it is standing ,I am very upset with myself,that is a living thing I am shooting at I don't have the right to hurt it.If your out their just to get a rush,your not a hunter; go and jump of a cliff will give you big rush just before you hit the ground,the impact will take away your rush.
Their is nothing better than doing your own hunt,you learn to love the things nature has to offer and learn to respect everything in the bush ,trusting yourself in good and bad situations makes you the hunter a confident one who depends on no one but himself.Their is no better sound than silence and the sound of just your own foot steps.It is what it is.

Wow ! You became what they were ....big story teller...I think I will move on
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmore62single View Post
Hello everyone!
New to this site and I thought I would try this thread out for a hunting partner.
Looking for a fairly well seasoned hunting partner who can help a intermediate some things.
Been hunting myself for about 5 years and in no shape way the or form have had huge success. I am 32, married living in s.e calgary.
I would like to get moving fairly quickly and go out to get some permission on some land and maybe get some gophers and small game.
So if anyone is interested. Please contact me here on this site!
Really no one out there looking for a partner? Not one response
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Sask black bear? I'm planning to try my hand at my first black bear hunt I was wondering if anyone has any experience and willing to take take a first time black bear hunter out
Old 04-15-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmore62single View Post
Really no one out there looking for a partner? Not one response
I sent you a pm don't know if you got it
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM

moving to grande prairie in july, completely new to hunting and would love to tag along to learn the ropes with an experienced hunter.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:09 AM

Default New To Spruce Grove,AB

New to Alberta been an ethical hunter all my life. Would be awsome to get in on some good Deer hunting and shooting some gophers. Spruce Grove area.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Look for some one in calgary to go hunt spring black bear
Old 04-25-2014, 01:36 AM
Banned

New to Calgary, just looking to meet people and network. Looking to go target practise or hunting period. I'm a 22, almost 23, year old male electrical apprentice. PM me if you would like to meet for a beer, or set something up!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Back in Alberta

I posted on the Hunting page down further. Seemed to rough some feathers. I am 60, great health etc and have hunted since a kid. All my ex hunter partners from Alberta have moved away, so seeing if anyone is looking for an experienced, extremely ethical hunter. have all my own stuff etc. plus access to many many acres of private land in Mu250 and 506. My wife's relatives all farm and raise cattle up there. Super whitetail, mulies(if you can get a draw) and amazing moose population. One thing, if your a road hunter please move on, nothing against road hunters, just not for me.

Greg
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Default fort mcmurray hunting partner

Looking for hunting and fishing partner in fort mcmurray. New to area like to make not sure where to go.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Looking for someone to shoot some gophers with this spring.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Did you say Gophers ! I would be in for that. If you have a place to shoot just say when .
Old 05-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Did you say Gophers ! I would be in for that. If you have a place to shoot just say when .
I currently don't as it would be the first time. I'm hoping I can find someone who knows a good place to go
Old 05-11-2014, 02:23 PM

hey there my name is craig and I moved to the park a couple of years ago and have not really found new hunting partners. I usually do a dozen waterfoul hunts a year starting in early sept. I also go for moose and deer. this year I will have little to no draw opportunities . in the last few years I have been thinking of elk and sheep but have not yet done a real hunt for them. I am 38 and willing to travel for hunting.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHunter71 View Post
New to Alberta been an ethical hunter all my life. Would be awsome to get in on some good Deer hunting and shooting some gophers. Spruce Grove area.
I sent you a pm on deer hunting.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 AM

Default 2015 spring bear baiting

Looking for a fellow serious bowhunter or couple who would be interested in setting baits for spring bear next year. Someone who is willing to put in equal time and money in hopes of putting a mature boar on the ground. I'm not a selfish hunter I enjoy watching other people have succsess but can't stand guys who are all about themselves. The girlfriend bowhunts aswell and would also be putting in the time and money. Looking at baiting around the cold lake area but if you have a spot you favor I don't mind. Wouldnt mind having you come out and chase some velvet bucks in september with the stick and string if you were interested. If your up for what I'm proposing send me a pm. Thanks

Paul
Old 05-20-2014, 04:30 PM

Default northern alberta hunts

hey, im a 26 yr old guy who is addicted to hunting and the outdoors. I do alot or waterfowl and big game hunting. any free moment im scouting for "the buck " or a great shoot for some birds. wouldnt mind a hunting partner that enjoys being out there and wants to put a big buck down. rookies welcome or if you have a son thats looking to shoot his first buck. i have permission on over 7000 acres in 526/527. feel free to message me or reply. its that time of the year again.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM

hey paul. hows it going? i would be interested in setting some baits next year, always wanted a blonde boar! my girlfriend and i bowhunt as well and i love just being out there even if others were hunting, wouldnt mind filming to catch it all.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynjenn View Post
I think it is terrifying to scroll through these and see that you have to specify no drugs or drinking! What is this world coming too where you think its a good idea to get drunk and high and hang out with strangers with guns NOT COOL!
Who are you? I rather enjoy it when random hunters stop into camp to shoot the **** and have a beer. I have met a few people who have become great friends and hunting partners this way. I'm just going to guess you've never spent much time in the bush or you would know how nice it is to sit down after a long day beside the fire and have a few drinks with some fellers a few miles down the road that you've just met. All the while there is a loaded shotgun sitting within anyone's reach. Sometimes you just got to have faith in your fellow human.... I would ask you what is this world coming to when you cannot trust your fellow human not to kill you for no apparent reason.... Guess I live in a different world than you.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Hey everyone! I'm 31 and have been an avid outdoorsman all my life. I grew up bow hunting and fly fishing but due to a back injury/moving to Edmonton I haven't hunted in close to a decade. A couple months about I decided to pick the now up and get back into it. I've been shooting 3-4 times at week and am back to a point where I'm confident enough with my groupings to make a clean kill. I would like to find someone that can help me get back into it to hunt with. I would like to try and track down some wild hogs this summer as prep for the fall, then I will switch my focus to big game like moose and elk. Message me if you might interested in joining me.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM

Default New to Alberta

Hello,

I am wanting to help a out with work around the farm/house etc on the wekeends, in exchange for an opportunity to hunt on their land.

My name is Tyler, and I am looking for permission to hunt deer/elk on a few private sections of land this fall.
The area I am looking to hunt in is anything between Reddeer and Calgary.
I am a 28 year old male from New Brunswick. Just moved to Calgary 2 years ago.

I've got a pickup and a strong back.

Call or text 403-804-6052

Sincerely,

Tyler