Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM

I enjoyed the video. I was hoping it would end the way it did. It was more enjoyable with out it being shot as far as I'm concerned. Kudos to you for not blowing it away.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Enjoyed the video , very nice ! I always did love the way they can be so very curious at times !
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
If nothing else, maybe some people consider that not every bear that gets closer than 30 yards needs to die.
There is definitely those that need to learn the difference between fearing and respecting bears
Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 AM

Cool video!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 AM

That was a really cool close range encounter, had a couple myself, but not quite like that. The last one, I could have probably walked a little closer, but I let him see me, as I was pretty close already; nothing beats it!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 AM

What i really enjoy is that you got a once in a lifetime experience. Captured for eternity and will always have the ability to share it and yet the bear got to walk. Glad i clicked on this thread. Purely awesome.......
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 AM

I liked the video.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
There is definitely those that need to learn the difference between fearing and respecting bears
This!! I have talked to many people who are afraid of bears. No need to fear them just respect them. Rigby clearly shows he respects bears. Great vid btw Rigby, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the shot to go off
Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Yeah absolutely nothing wrong in that vid. It's alarming to me how many people here would ice a bear simply for being 'close' to them. The way some talk I would have had to kill a half dozen grizz and a dozen or so blacks, and guess what - not a single adverse outcome, not even a charge. Just gotta know the animals, the habitat and use your head
Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 PM

That hunt was a lot if fun. Steve and I had a hunt of a lifetime. Steve harvested two bears and I harvested a nice colored. Steve anchored a great bear and my colored and his second bear were just average but we had a ton of fun. I'm glad lots of you like the video, hopefully we will have more to share in the future. Good luck out there everybody and have fun .
Old 04-18-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
So what did he do wrong ? Let an animal he was hunting get too close ? I've let elk and moose walk by at 3 yards when I decided to pass on them. Should he have stood up and educated the bear ? I can understand if it was out of season or a grizzly that is not legal to hunt but if he had shot the bear ( which he could have ) nobody would have complained.
Totally agree....but I think any hunter who is allowing an animal to get that close knows the risk and takes the chance, no wrong doing here!!! Nice vid
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 AM

Pretty cool dude. If you're confident in your ability then it's your choice. Calm enough to give him a pass from that close good for you man. My cousin is a bear outfitter and I've helped a bit and he ummm is pretty used to them
And very familiar with most of them and their tendencies. Once again cool vid, thanks for the share.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Exactly 👍 ^^^^^^
Yes.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
That hunt was a lot if fun. Steve and I had a hunt of a lifetime. Steve harvested two bears and I harvested a nice colored. Steve anchored a great bear and my colored and his second bear were just average but we had a ton of fun. I'm glad lots of you like the video, hopefully we will have more to share in the future. Good luck out there everybody and have fun .
Please do, just give the downers the finger and post for the rest of us.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Cool video.

It proves what I've often told people, Bears are not out to kill every person they see.

Would I have the nerve to let one get that close? Not if I had a choice.

I have been that close though, and closer, and I don't mind admitting I was no where near as cool about it as Rigby is. I can also admit that when I did let a bear walk in that sort of situation it took ALL of my will power to do so.

I've seen what a startled bear can do.

My hat's off to Rigby and anyone brave enough to keep cool that close to a bear or any large wild animal.
And I would caution others, if you don't know how what you are doing, don't even think of trying that. When you are that close, the wrong move could get you killed.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Yikes, good for you, that takes ba**s. I would have been running or shooting.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 AM

I think this is a great video. It shows composer on both sides. That bear not once had body language saying the guy was in danger. As is the case with most bear encounters if you play it cool. Just because a bear is inside 10 yards doesn't mean you need to kill it. That my opinion anyhow.