Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Wildlife Certificate

What is the purpose of a "Wildlife Certificate"?

The last time I bought a hunting licence was in SK and longer ago than I care to admit. I walked into a hardware store, showed the guy behind the counter my driver's licence (proof of residency) gave him some cash and left with a licence (that was also the tag).

Now it seems that I need a WIN; got it. Then I need to purchase a "Wildlife Certificate". Then I need some "online tags" (a misnomer if I ever saw one). Now I can purchase the licence(s). I can understand the logic behind separating the tag from the licence, but what is the raison d'ętre for the "Wildlife Certificate"? Do I need one per species? One per year?

And before you tell me to read the regs, I have a copy of the "Wildlife Act", the "Wildlife Regulation", the "2011 Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations" and the "Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education" text and all I have found out is that I need a "Wildlife Certificate" before I can buy a licence.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM

Default Wildlife Certificates

The Cert costs you money. This pays for the consultants the management hires because they are not able to manage.
Also pays for the secretaries salaries who re-type the stuff the cunsultants send to management.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Gone Hunting

The W?C is like a hunting license in other jurisdictions.
Buy it once a year for the province and then buy additional licenses [bird] and tags as required.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Its just a money grab. I have heard lots of people bashing Ontario, but i lived there for years and it seems like i paid less every year to do the same amount of hunting. although the price went up every 2nd year, which sucked. just something we have to put up with if we want to keep hunting
Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Its just a money grab. I have heard lots of people bashing Ontario, but i lived there for years and it seems like i paid less every year to do the same amount of hunting. although the price went up every 2nd year, which sucked. just something we have to put up with if we want to keep hunting
HMMMM? I always had to buy a hunting license in Ontario. Just a different name for the same cat.
At least we don't have to put in 14 guys for one moose draw permit.
I miss Ontario

Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong. , but I think the Wildlife certificate is also proof that you've passed the Hunter training course, or equivalent.

Grizz
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Not correcting you for being wrong because I have no idea but isn't the hunter training attached to your WIN card?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 PM

I know people who have gone into a store got a win number checked off the box saying they have hunters Ed and bought a tag and never did any sort of training they rarely check for hunters Ed. And I'm not talking about one person I know many people that did it that way and now being able to do everything online it's probably easier for anyone to get a license
Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 PM

aint the wildlife certificate like $30.00 ? Must be a cash grab! I know saskatchewans is $10.00 thats more realistic!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. , but I think the Wildlife certificate is also proof that you've passed the Hunter training course, or equivalent.

Grizz
Sort of. You are only able to purchase the wildlife certificate after you have proven youve passed the hunter training. The hunter training info is stored online with your WIN info.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
aint the wildlife certificate like $30.00 ? Must be a cash grab! I know saskatchewans is $10.00 thats more realistic!
Almost thirty bucks, its 28.22. It helps pay for the guys flying around in helicopters counting game. And the guys that enforce the regs. I have no problems with that.

Last edited by deanmc; 01-28-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
What is the purpose of a "Wildlife Certificate"?

The last time I bought a hunting licence was in SK and longer ago than I care to admit. I walked into a hardware store, showed the guy behind the counter my driver's licence (proof of residency) gave him some cash and left with a licence (that was also the tag).

Now it seems that I need a WIN; got it. Then I need to purchase a "Wildlife Certificate". Then I need some "online tags" (a misnomer if I ever saw one). Now I can purchase the licence(s). I can understand the logic behind separating the tag from the licence, but what is the raison d'ętre for the "Wildlife Certificate"? Do I need one per species? One per year?

And before you tell me to read the regs, I have a copy of the "Wildlife Act", the "Wildlife Regulation", the "2011 Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations" and the "Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education" text and all I have found out is that I need a "Wildlife Certificate" before I can buy a licence.

ARG
I was confused when I moved here from BC as well. The wildlife certificate is your hunting licence (you need one per year). The license is your tag(one per year per species). You also need a game bird license for upland game and a federal migratory permit(same as Sask) for geese and ducks.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Sort of. You are only able to purchase the wildlife certificate after you have proven youve passed the hunter training. The hunter training info is stored online with your WIN info.
Wrong. Maybe that's the theory, but if so, no one is checking.

I know people who have no hunter training. Never took any hunting related courses, never passed any tests and they have a WIN number and they buy licenses with no problems.

These are neighbors, co-workers, a couple are even close relatives.
These are people I have known my whole life. People I have good reason to believe are telling me the truth.
Plus, I have the training, but no one has ever asked me to prove it when buying anything.

It's kinda funny too, cause the only reason I have the training is because it was a requirement for getting a guiding license back in the day.
Not any longer. Now all a guide needs is an outfitter to sign him or her on.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Wrong. Maybe that's the theory, but if so, no one is checking.

I know people who have no hunter training. Never took any hunting related courses, never passed any tests and they have a WIN number and they buy licenses with no problems.

These are neighbors, co-workers, a couple are even close relatives.
These are people I have known my whole life. People I have good reason to believe are telling me the truth.
Plus, I have the training, but no one has ever asked me to prove it when buying anything.

It's kinda funny too, cause the only reason I have the training is because it was a requirement for getting a guiding license back in the day.
Not any longer. Now all a guide needs is an outfitter to sign him or her on.
That is not so good. I agree with the need for some type of training. In this day and age many dads spend very little time teaching their children.

I guess I assumed it worked the way it is supposed to sorry Keg.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That is not so good. I agree with the need for some type of training. In this day and age many dads spend very little time teaching their children.

I guess I assumed it worked the way it is supposed to sorry Keg.
Sadly it doesn't appear to.

Yeah training is a good idea, but some common sense in the process would be good too. Unfortunately, when bureaucrats get involved, training often takes a back seat to logic. In other words, training should not be considered proof of competence nore should it be treated like a crime if one does not have the training. Seek mutually beneficial solutions, instead of using training requirements as a club to beat people into submission as happens far to often with these sort of requirements.

Bill C68 is a prime example of what I'm talking about.
It was sold to us as a public safety issue but used as a club against all gun owners, and with little common sense in the process.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 AM

Keg I don't think we're wrong. I think it's different circumstances based on a persons hunting past.

I know I had to show my hunter education certificate as a "first time hunter" in Alberta when I first applied for my WIN card (NOT for my wildlife certificate) and checked the box that I had taken it. Those of you that had been hunting most of your lives would have had it grandfathered in as having previously held hunting licenses.

Maybe the 15 yr old in CDN tire isn't asking for proof on first time hunters but he should be.

I also recall buying a game bird license for grouse one year and the gal behind the counter ribbed my wife as to why she wasn't getting one and without thinking pulled out her WIN card (she doesn't hunt but uses it for fishing) and hands it to the lady and says it can't be much different than shooting gophers. Lady swipes her card and says sorry I can't sell you a certificate or license because you don't have your hunter training course.

Just sayin...
Old 01-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Almost thirty bucks, its 28.22. It helps pay for the guys flying around in helicopters counting game. And the guys that enforce the regs. I have no problems with that.
Not exactly. A portion goes to the "aca" and then partly goes to doing areal game counts. A bit goes to the "wise guy foundation" and some goes into general revenue. Which I guess in a round about way does pay salaries to enforcement officers.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&C_Coach View Post
Keg I don't think we're wrong. I think it's different circumstances based on a persons hunting past.

I know I had to show my hunter education certificate as a "first time hunter" in Alberta when I first applied for my WIN card (NOT for my wildlife certificate) and checked the box that I had taken it. Those of you that had been hunting most of your lives would have had it grandfathered in as having previously held hunting licenses.

Maybe the 15 yr old in CDN tire isn't asking for proof on first time hunters but he should be.

I also recall buying a game bird license for grouse one year and the gal behind the counter ribbed my wife as to why she wasn't getting one and without thinking pulled out her WIN card (she doesn't hunt but uses it for fishing) and hands it to the lady and says it can't be much different than shooting gophers. Lady swipes her card and says sorry I can't sell you a certificate or license because you don't have your hunter training course.

Just sayin...
No kidding. If your wife had a WIN, wouldn't she be grandfathered in just like I supposedly was ? And if not, then why wouldn't my WIN number show that I have not taken the course? I did take the course, but not in connection with getting a WIN and it was long before the WIN system was implemented.
When I did get my WIN I know no one checked and I was not asked, I was given a WIN only because I had purchased a license the year before. And they took my word for that. They didn't even ask to see the old license.

This was the local F&W office. They had no computer, no branch offices did back then and they did not make any phone calls. With only two people in one small office I could see what everyone was doing every minute I was there. They did not check.

So it appears that some places check, others don't even have the ability to check. How does that make sense?

Felix down at True Value has shown me the readout for my WIN number.
It shows the date of issue and the expiry date, and it shows if the card is current, nothing more. No mention of training or lack thereof.

Like I said, it's a good idea, but pretty much useless once government gets involved.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM

I too know a couple of people who got their girlfriend/wife into hunting in the last few years and they told me when they applied for their WIN cards they just said yes to the question if they had hunter training. No proof was needed and away they went hunting.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 AM

I guess a lot of folks are not old enough to know what a wildlife certificate is.

It was a small booklet which you stuck your applicaple licences in once you bought them.

Now with IBM in the mix, the Certificate which is also your resource development portion of your licence fees (ACA/ Wise etc)

Sure the Wildlife Certificate could be gone, but then the resultant price of the individual licences would go up quite a bit.

Remember the Youth Wildlife Certificate also is cheaper, and has an automatic game bird licence attached, and Non Res and Non Res Aliens Certificates run quite a bit more than our Resident ones.

As for the WIN number, think of it as your unique identifier, which ties you to a history of licences, draws, and other related activity, this number also allows for us to have one of the best draw priority systems in the world.

As for folks who claim they have a Hunter Ed Course, when they don't, I wonder out loud what the resultant effects of having a notable F&W offence, and a resultant investigation, coming from it, and now they got you on falsifying a government document...Not a good place to be, that may cause a Judge a large degree of annoyance, and likley get you the proverbial book thrown at you.

Sure Alberta's licencing system differs from other jurisdictions. Just like different work places have different procedures, and rules. Heck in BC you can bait most everything but bear, while in Alberta you can only bait bears. Same difference. If you want to play the game you play by Alberta's rules...If you don't like them well become a lobbiest, and let the Province see the errors in their ways, and effect change. This may take decades BTW.

Kinda look at it like this, it's Alberta's rules, and if ya don't like them well you can always go elsewhere, or not participate.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Gone Hunting

About 10 years ago back in my mid twenties, I spent a winter teaching my girlfriend then, Now wife, hunters ed, and fishers ed, all manner of bird ID, we touched on ecology etc etc etc. I then brought in a very wide range of valuable topics that I felt if nothing more than just brifly touching on, it would provide reassurance that acknowledgment of these things would be reality in the future. While she was studying I wrote my own 100 question exam. She passed my course and exam,, BARELY, and went into the local F&W office to challenge thier exam. She passed and did extremely well. We loaned all our stuff and my home brew exam to some friends, they spent some time on it and his old lady passed her challenge as well. It is not difficult, but I fear that by not taking the course there are way too many people that are not starting out with the extremely basic introductory level info that is required to responsibly take part in any of this stuff down the road. Im appalled that our officers are wasting time and money on this tracking people for proof of examination etc etc. This stuff should still be done in schools. Basic knowledge of our outdoors is something EVERYONE should possess, not just those that desire to hunt etc. Hit em all in schools, entire generations, no one is left out, and we might see that all these wide ranging outdoor issues we have right now, would effectively cease to exist.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
About 10 years ago back in my mid twenties, I spent a winter teaching my girlfriend then, Now wife, hunters ed, and fishers ed, all manner of bird ID, we touched on ecology etc etc etc. I then brought in a very wide range of valuable topics that I felt if nothing more than just brifly touching on, it would provide reassurance that acknowledgment of these things would be reality in the future. While she was studying I wrote my own 100 question exam. She passed my course and exam,, BARELY, and went into the local F&W office to challenge thier exam. She passed and did extremely well. We loaned all our stuff and my home brew exam to some friends, they spent some time on it and his old lady passed her challenge as well. It is not difficult, but I fear that by not taking the course there are way too many people that are not starting out with the extremely basic introductory level info that is required to responsibly take part in any of this stuff down the road. Im appalled that our officers are wasting time and money on this tracking people for proof of examination etc etc. This stuff should still be done in schools. Basic knowledge of our outdoors is something EVERYONE should possess, not just those that desire to hunt etc. Hit em all in schools, entire generations, no one is left out, and we might see that all these wide ranging outdoor issues we have right now, would effectively cease to exist.

That would make too much sense. And besides, it wouldn't be politically correct.

Even if hunting and fishing were not mentioned, I doubt that the bunny hugging crowds would appreciate learning outdoor skills. Most especially for their kids who just might decide that hunting and fishing is not such a bad thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Good post.
They used to teach the "hunter ed" course in the high-school in Rocky Mountain House. And they still do in Leslieville grade 7, Both my kids took it there. And there was a teachers aid who was a Canadian Firearms Safety course instructor who did that course after school hours for several nights. My wife and kids all took and passed that as well.

Perhaps we should concentrate some time and effort trying to get this kind of education accepted in more schools.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM

The problem now is there is no test to challenge, every new hunter who whishes to stay on the right side of the rules has to take the AHEIA course.

Follow the money...take a look at AHEIA, and who sits on their board, then look what else those individuals are involved in!

As for no Hunters Ed in school, well getting a teacher so qualified to teach the course, and having enough interested students to continue the course year after year, coupled with budget restraints etc...I'd suggest some of you get on your School Board trustees to see this become a lasting legacy in Alberta.

Remember the world is run by those who show up.....We as outdoorpersons seem to have a lot of issue with the showing up part, except on the internet or in the coffee shop.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Gone Hunting

"Hit em all in schools, entire generations, no one is left out, and we might see that all these wide ranging outdoor issues we have right now, would effectively cease to exist. "

Good idea!!

"Follow the money...take a look at AHEIA, and who sits on their board, then look what else those individuals are involved in!"

Are you trying to say something that you are too scared to say. Are we supposed to guess what this means???? If you have something of value to say, then just say it. What a cheap shot!!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"Hit em all in schools, entire generations, no one is left out, and we might see that all these wide ranging outdoor issues we have right now, would effectively cease to exist. "

Good idea!!

"Follow the money...take a look at AHEIA, and who sits on their board, then look what else those individuals are involved in!"

Are you trying to say something that you are too scared to say. Are we supposed to guess what this means???? If you have something of value to say, then just say it. What a cheap shot!!

If you look at directors and board members on :
-Wise Foundation
-AHEIA
-Hunting For Tomorrow
-ACA
-Alberta Game Management Advisory Group

You will see quite a "web" of people trying to exert influence and control on our outdoor recreation.

Some of what they do may be very good. But some is at least debatable.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
HMMMM? I always had to buy a hunting license in Ontario. Just a different name for the same cat.
At least we don't have to put in 14 guys for one moose draw permit.
I miss Ontario
hunting license yes, wildlife cert. no...

20 bucks for small game
36 bucks for a deer license, last time i checked,
no bow hunting permit either.
no provincial water fowl permit (seeing as you already have to pay the federal government to hunt migratory birds)

granted ontario doesnt have the selection of gamethat we do here, but they keep the silly extra fees off the table.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
No kidding. If your wife had a WIN, wouldn't she be grandfathered in just like I supposedly was ? And if not, then why wouldn't my WIN number show that I have not taken the course? I did take the course, but not in connection with getting a WIN and it was long before the WIN system was implemented.
When I did get my WIN I know no one checked and I was not asked, I was given a WIN only because I had purchased a license the year before. And they took my word for that. They didn't even ask to see the old license.

This was the local F&W office. They had no computer, no branch offices did back then and they did not make any phone calls. With only two people in one small office I could see what everyone was doing every minute I was there. They did not check.

So it appears that some places check, others don't even have the ability to check. How does that make sense?

Felix down at True Value has shown me the readout for my WIN number.
It shows the date of issue and the expiry date, and it shows if the card is current, nothing more. No mention of training or lack thereof.

Like I said, it's a good idea, but pretty much useless once government gets involved.
No. You're missing the point. She had only ever fished so she would have not had a history of ever holding a hunting license = no grandfathering as she had nothing to grandfather.

Anytime I've ever gone to get a WIN with someone for the first time they were asked if they had hunters training but never when they go to buy a WC.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:38 PM
sheephunter

When you get your first WIN card you need to sign an affidavid that you qualify for a hunting licence if it is to be used to purchase a hunting licence. No doubt some people lie.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Good idea!!

If you can't do the research and connect all the dots for yourself, what's the point.
Perhaps it is you who needs to snap out of things.

AHEIA has a strangle hold on to many things, they have the corner on CFSC instructors, the corner on Hunter Ed, and all those lovely folks have their fingers in a bunch more pies, and many other places they have no place sticking their fingers let alone their big noses.

These folks sitting on all these boards at the same time..it's ludicrous plain and simple.

There are no absolutes