Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2014, 12:26 PM

Default What would you do?

Pretty calm, cool and collected......

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/wait-b...alberta-video/
Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Why don't you ask Rigby ? That's him in the video
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM

A good way to get mauled...young bears like that are way more powerful than they appear. I wouldn't recommend doing that.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 PM

pretty cool vid......brings up one question.....if the bear was to get aggresive and perhaps maul him, and the bear had to be shot, should people feel srry for the guy who was mauled or the bear that was needlesly shot? just wondering if when he realized it was not for him, if he shouldnt of made his human presence known sooner? Dont think I would have the testitude to lay prone as a bear was sniffin me out...lol.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Why don't you ask Rigby ? That's him in the video
Wow.....Rigby....you're nutz!!!

Very cool video.

"I had a closer look at the bear and he wasn't quite what I wanted"
Old 04-14-2014, 05:37 PM

Cool vid.

I witnessed something similar 40 yrs ago, Mac McKenzie taking pictures of a pair of young grizzlies from about 10'-15' away. I was holding the horses about 10'-15' away from Mac
Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Banned

Canuck Shooter is right.

60-30 yard rule for me.

Glad this did not turn into a Darwin Award film.

They move fast...real fast.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM

kinda stupid if you ask me! I've seen bot fatal bear mauling's and non fatal ones. I like to give those critters a respectable amount of space!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
pretty cool vid......brings up one question.....if the bear was to get aggresive and perhaps maul him, and the bear had to be shot, should people feel srry for the guy who was mauled or the bear that was needlesly shot? just wondering if when he realized it was not for him, if he shouldnt of made his human presence known sooner? Dont think I would have the testitude to lay prone as a bear was sniffin me out...lol.
I agree, once he decided not to take the bear he should not have let him get that close. If the bear did get aggressive and had to be shot that wouldn't be fair to the bear.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Banned

insane, I personally would not do that
lots of respect though
Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM

So what did he do wrong ? Let an animal he was hunting get too close ? I've let elk and moose walk by at 3 yards when I decided to pass on them. Should he have stood up and educated the bear ? I can understand if it was out of season or a grizzly that is not legal to hunt but if he had shot the bear ( which he could have ) nobody would have complained.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
So what did he do wrong ? Let an animal he was hunting get too close ? I've let elk and moose walk by at 3 yards when I decided to pass on them. Should he have stood up and educated the bear ? I can understand if it was out of season or a grizzly that is not legal to hunt but if he had shot the bear ( which he could have ) nobody would have complained.
X2

Little closer than i would have liked , but i dont see much aggression in that bear:thinking
Im thinking Rigby saw the same thing and judged accordingly. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Wow.....Rigby....you're nutz!!!

Very cool video.

"I had a closer look at the bear and he wasn't quite what I wanted"
This pretty much sums up my sentiments.

Quote:

Agreed......I guess I should not be surprised that some on AO would question this in such a way.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:59 PM

Default Wow

Super intense video, takes a set of brass to do that. Thanks for sharing.
You made the right decision, good on you.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Brass Balls for sure! Tha bear would have been taking a dirt nap if it was me, mainly because I have never taken a Black bear before
Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 PM

Cool footage and "cool" composure. Thanks for sharing the video, I enjoyed watching it.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Have you ever watched a young black bear hunting a calf moose? They don't show much aggression until they are on top of their next meal, unlike elk and moose bears are predators. You should U-tube some black bear killing calf moose videos and then re-evaluate how close you think it is wise to allow a predator to get to you.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Have you ever watched a young black bear hunting a calf moose? They don't show much aggression until they are on top of their next meal, unlike elk and moose bears are predators. You should U-tube some black bear killing calf moose videos and then re-evaluate how close you think it is wise to allow a predator to get to you.
Have you ever had a moose charge you, at that point I see no difference between the two.
But that is beside the point. He had the rifle pointed at the bear when it was at it's closest and the only person he was endangering was himself. And if he had to shoot the bear then his hunt would have been a success.
The same people who complain about a guy getting too close think it's perfectly ok to shoot a bear at 700 yards because some meatball did it on TV. It's each hunters choice on how they hunt, and that's the way it should be.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Have you ever had a moose charge you, at that point I see no difference between the two.
But that is beside the point. He had the rifle pointed at the bear when it was at it's closest and the only person he was endangering was himself. And if he had to shoot the bear then his hunt would have been a success.
The same people who complain about a guy getting too close think it's perfectly ok to shoot a bear at 700 yards because some meatball did it on TV. It's each hunters choice on how they hunt, and that's the way it should be.
Lets not get our wires crossed here. I am trying to STRESS for INEXPERIENCED outdoors people that allowing a bear to get that close is NOT a good idea, or safe. Same as it is not safe to feed them from your car alongside the highway, or cross the ditch to take close up pics.....

And yes, I have been charged by a moose, and grizzly bears, and black bears, and wolves....his video is cool, but while we enjoyed watching it let us please caution those that don't know better.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree.

What was the giuys supposed to do...run?

The bear walked up on him... he kept his cool and made sure that he had it covered while protecting his own belly and not presenting himself as a threat.

Dicey?

Sure it was but so is shooting a bear at that distance if you do not need to.

I'd say that he had a tough choice so he weighed the odds...fought impulse and did the odds on smartest thing to do.

Good for him...a lesser man might have panicked and turned the odds against himself.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 PM

All good. No need to panic.

I have been within yards (single digits) of black bears many times, almost always unarmed. If you know bears, and understand their behavior you would see that the situation in the video was no big deal.

I have been charged and stared down by large boars during breeding season... that will make you pucker.

Cool video.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 PM

Well I'm glad some of you like the video. This video was back a few years ago and steve and I never posted for various reasons. All the negative Nancy's on here detour me from posting just about anything anymore. The simple fact is I have been hunting bears for 15+ years and have seen and been around hundreds of bears now. I put myself in the situation and if I had to shoot that bear then my season would have simply been over as I would have put my tag on him and found a spot for him on my wall. Your gonna say but you said he was rubbed, that doesn't mean I couldn't do a shoulder mount ect. Do I recommend other's doing this?? Do what you please, I watched this bear and could tell he wasn't overly aggressive. If in the video I would have dropped him at point blank it would have satisfied a lot of people but I chose not to. I have fun in my hunting endeavors and love the situations I put myself in. I choose to stand face to face with a bear, others choose to jump out of a plane. Each there own I guess.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM

^^^^^

Well said....

LC
Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Cool clip

Yes, black bears can be predators and maul people but odds are low. Spend enough time hunting them you start being able to read their body language.

I see no issue with the clip

That said it should not be attempted especially if you don't have a lot of bear experience
Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Well I'm glad some of you like the video. This video was back a few years ago and steve and I never posted for various reasons. All the negative Nancy's on here detour me from posting just about anything anymore. The simple fact is I have been hunting bears for 15+ years and have seen and been around hundreds of bears now. I put myself in the situation and if I had to shoot that bear then my season would have simply been over as I would have put my tag on him and found a spot for him on my wall. Your gonna say but you said he was rubbed, that doesn't mean I couldn't do a shoulder mount ect. Do I recommend other's doing this?? Do what you please, I watched this bear and could tell he wasn't overly aggressive. If in the video I would have dropped him at point blank it would have satisfied a lot of people but I chose not to. I have fun in my hunting endeavors and love the situations I put myself in. I choose to stand face to face with a bear, others choose to jump out of a plane. Each there own I guess.
Good video job Rigby , proud of you for not " blowing him away " as some would have . Just hope the newb bear hunters watching don't think that all bears act this way .
Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Rigby, this video of yours was passed on to me from a friend via facebook. I enjoyed it enough that I decided to post it here for others to enjoy thinking that they would receive it the same way I did.......and get a kick out of it.

While I should have known better by what is posted on this forum at times, it honestly never occurred to me that the hunter in the video would be put into a position where he felt that he would have to explain himself. Had I anticipated this, I would not have posted it here.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 PM

No worries at all. I'm proud of the video. Really everybody should share it. Like I said I'm glad some people like it, those who don't well that's there opinion. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 PM

Some people like hunting and some people don't. Haha i am legally hunting in this video but I still respect those that don't enjoy what I love doing!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 PM

If nothing else, maybe some people consider that not every bear that gets closer than 30 yards needs to die.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
If nothing else, maybe some people consider that not every bear that gets closer than 30 yards needs to die.
Exactly 👍 ^^^^^^