Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Default This upcoming seasons goals

What are your hunting goals for this upcoming season? I myself have high aspirations for my season. Hopefully get my late season antlered moose draw so that will be my highest priority. Id love to get myself a velvet whitetail buck with my bow and lastly, try my luck again this year with archery elk.

I will be more picky with my buck this year though. Plan on passing on anything that doesnt beat my first years 13 pointer. Will also be leaving the does alone this year. Antlered only this year for this guy.

I have yet to hunt ruffies, I may take the kids and dog out for a day here and there for those too.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:16 PM

After missing last year's season with a nasty ruptured Achilles injury...I hope to simply get out.
I'd like to get a deer with my Stik bow.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
After missing last year's season with a nasty ruptured Achilles injury...I hope to simply get out.
Ditto, except I had messed up disc in my back and missed the last two weeks of rifle season. Worked through all of bow and the first couple weeks of Nov.

Freezer is looking mighty empty.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Next year will be a bit pof a milestone for me, so I am looking at taking a deer or elk with my grandfather's Snider, my Father's Enfield, and my .58 Hawken, and hopefully the stick bow as well.
I also will be hunting birds with my Grandfather's 16 gauge underlever, and my hammer double , as well as a few other "lesser" guns.
If I'm proficient enough with my Atlatl by then I'll be hunting deer with it as well.
Cat
Old 04-17-2014, 02:49 PM

bull elk!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM

This will be my first year hunting so my goal is to get any deer.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM

I'll be looking for my second bighorn and a 350+ bull elk. Lofty goals but I'm sure I can get one of the two and with any luck I'll have both on the ground!

Only 4.5 more months to go!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 PM

To get my dad an elk (he'll be using rifle)

To get my first big game bow animal (will try for bear spot and stalk, whitetail, elk)

Shoot and eat more grouse

Experiment with more with sausage making, jerky, curing.

Get outside as much as possible!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM

Possibly cash in on a couple P12 tags, help get my son his first animal and spend as much time in the woods as possible.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM

my goals, I want to get my first whitetail buck this year as it my first year hunting , possibly get a muley tag depending on how draws go and build priority for elk moose and antelope for future years of hunting
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM

Default Elk !!!

My goal this year is to finally get an elk with my bow, I could probably get a draw for mule but don't want to distract myself for priority #1 ELK. They have elude me with the bow for the last few years and I had to get them with the rifle so I could justify to the wife how much time I spend away from home for hunting. Plus we all really love elk meat. I had many close encounter over the years but could never quite get ir done.

Priority #2, the wife will have her mule deer draw this year and I sure need to find her a nice one, she sure deserve it after dealing with me for the last few years. Getting her close to a monster mule, spot and stock style, with her bow would make her day. Maybe I will have to make that one top priority and get it on film.

Have a good season
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 PM

archery elk and a good buck, and shoot some geese and ducks
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Should get drawn for moose this year and would like to get one with the long bow. Also to get my supplemental whitetail with a spear from a tree stand. And of course try and get a bigger buck then I already have.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM

maybe a mule buck . Saw some nice ones last year . As always a nice whitetail would be best . Missed a couple chances last year but I know the address now
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 PM

Priorities in this order. Myself a ram. My neighbor a elk. Me a 300+ elk preferably with the bow. And a whitetail to boot. Oh ya and call in a whole bunch of elk for friends and family. Maybe a bear, we'll see
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 PM

My goal is to just get out and about in the mountains as much as possible, do lots of backpacking, maybe find just one more bighorn. If not that's ok too, just glad to be able to enjoy it. Got a few new spots to check out this year and I like nothing more than looking over a new area. Always the hope if finding something special. Maybe pick up and elk along the way with any luck. After October is over chase white tails for November. Got some extra time this year, lots of holidays and banked time so it should be a great season.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 PM

No one else has any goals for this year? Nothing youd like to learn or nothing you want hunt or accomplish?

I think this hunting game would get pretty boring if I had nothing to look forward to each season.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 PM

to finally take a game animal with the bow, been practicing a few years building up some confidence and now the time has come.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Banned

Not planning to much for big game hunting, a bit of whitetail hunting, that's about it. Plan on doing a lot of goose hunting again, a bit early yet but populations look pretty good already.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned

I'm undecided but I leaning towarsd just 999ing everything and concentrate on birds.
What I do not kill... helps restore herd strength in the area that I usually hunt.

It depends on what I see while I'm snooping about this spring tho....
Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 AM
Banned

I'm going to try for a buck in velvet with my crossbow and hunt chickens with my .22. I'm going to be trapping full time next Fall so I won't be spending a lot of time hunting. Probably just shoot a couple of meat does for the freezer and, if I don't get a buck with the crossbow, if I come across a big buck during the rut.

I have a high enough pri to get my antlerless elk tag but unless I find someone with problem elk I won't bother applying again. If you want the herd thinned, let me know.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:00 AM

Africa in 53 days...
A big antelope...
The 170+ whitetail I misjudged and watched my dad miss twice last year. This year he's mine if he made it through the winter! Lol
Going to 999 my P12 elk I thnk and just try to get one on the farm or maybe a short trip up to GP.
Maybe a hog hunt somewhere in the states.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 AM

We're going for Whitetailwith Atlatls, and hope do double slam with a bull Elk! My main goal is to ensure Atlatl hunting in Alberta. Of course, my selfbow will be out as well, and maybe some chickens. Geese this year with my Longbow are in for trouble. Keeping fair hunting top priority!!
AA
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 AM

As always an Elk with my bow.
A whitetail to beat last years.

A bunch more ruffies, that was fun last year.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 AM

To do a whole bunch more goose and duck hunting. Hopefully get drawn for Antlered mule deer. No interest in whitetail this yr, pop is hurting in the area we hunt. Oh and hopefully talk the buddy's into an antelope hunt in Wyoming for 2015.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 AM

A buddy and I are going for mountain goat in bc, hope to harvest a decent billy. Then bull moose with my cousin, cow elk with my dad late season. A bonus would be a good whitetail or sheep comes into play. Overall time spent with family and friends in the outdoors is what I'm looking forward to the most.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM

I want to enjoy summer & see the snow gone 1st off & that is how I plan to start the up & coming hunting season..
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM

190"+ moose. Try with archery gear first then rifle if no luck. Big moose like this one make me lose sleep.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Ditto, except I had messed up disc in my back and missed the last two weeks of rifle season. Worked through all of bow and the first couple weeks of Nov.

Freezer is looking mighty empty.

I'm with these guys. I was disabled all of last summer and had back surgery in the fall. I plan on being ready to bow hunt come September. Just getting out will be an accomplishment, and something I will not take for granted ever again.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 AM

One of my "goals" , if I can call it that, is for me and Zipp4570 to get down to Magrath with Louie so we can show him off to onpoint and elkhunter1234 !
Gonna be tough, but we are determined this year!
Cat