Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Default new ab hunter where can i find grouse/partridge

from the east coast love my partridge I see the season opens in September out here trying to locate a few this year plz help
Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Something like this, mixed forest then willows then ditch with clover then gravel road.
Any edge area in the bush natural or cutlines where the trees taper down to smaller stuff and grasses keep your eyes open.

Welcome aboard
Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
from the east coast love my partridge I see the season opens in September out here trying to locate a few this year plz help
Look for groups of trees, also know as bush in some areas. All those signs you see that say "Private Property" that means unless you have permission you're not allowed to be there. Please follow this rule, the byes out here actually care that you're trespassing. I suggest heading north, no matter where you are, north is usually safe.
Oh, and look close to the ground. Unless they fly of course then you'll have to look up
Old 04-18-2014, 10:12 AM

Smile If you have a dog...

You don't have to look, the dog will find them no problem. Your job is then to hit them.

Here is what will happen, dog gets birdy and then points, you make sure the gun is loaded, walk up to dog, on your way a bird gets up surprising you, you fire 2 shots at the bird that got up first, you don't reload very fast, a covey of about 20 get up all around you when your gun is empty. The birds fly about 1/2 a mile.

Repeat.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Oh, and look close to the ground. Unless they fly of course then you'll have to look up
To quote my hunting partner Hornhead " grouse FLY??!!"
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
To quote my hunting partner Hornhead " grouse FLY??!!"
Cat
Not all. Just the species known as "second grouse." the "first grouse " is hunted by aiming a 12 g three inches over its head, and thus the head is removed just like at the chicken farm. The "second grouse" and rare "third grouse" must be killed in the air.

Op: north is good. Serious about the trespassing thing around here. Best get out on some crown land, and explore.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

Op: north is good. Serious about the trespassing thing around here. Best get out on some crown land, and explore.
It seems that our north Eastern end was way down in numbers last year , but a few hundred miles south there were lots.

We had a very dismal fall when it came to local Ft. Mac birds....
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
There are no 'partridge' on the east coast. Why maritimers call 'grouse' 'partridge' we will never know. Now that your in Alberta you will learn to call 'grouse' by there proper name 'chickens' or as some here call them 'bush chickens'. Good luck with your chicken hunting, welcome to Alberta.

We do have real partridge in southern Alberta, they are smaller than grouse, about the size of a woodcock.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It seems that our north Eastern end was way down in numbers last year , but a few hundred miles south there were lots.

We had a very dismal fall when it came to local Ft. Mac birds....
Cat
A likely story.... You just found lots of second and third grouse, and they flew away before you shot at em.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 AM

As far as partridge go on the prairie.....I recommend looking for a place that has long grass with gravelly sandy stuff on one side and some brush on the other side. Then just walk right down the middle of the grass and most of the time I can scare out at least one flock of partridge. But remember, if it is private property as for permission first. And always make sure it is safe to shoot in all direction, and if not make sure that you try and spook the birds in safe directions.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
We do have real partridge in southern Alberta, they are smaller than grouse, about the size of a woodcock.
Are you implying that Gray (Hungarian) partridge is the size of woodcock?!
I'd say woodcock is the size of a snipe, and a Hun is like 3-4 snipes, lol.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Are you implying that Gray (Hungarian) partridge is the size of woodcock?!
I'd say woodcock is the size of a snipe, and a Hun is like 3-4 snipes, lol.
+1 Gray Partridge, aren't as large as ruffed grouse, but they are a great deal larger than a woodcock.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
There are no 'partridge' on the east coast. Why maritimers call 'grouse' 'partridge' we will never know. Now that your in Alberta you will learn to call 'grouse' by there proper name 'chickens' or as some here call them 'bush chickens'. Good luck with your chicken hunting, welcome to Alberta.
Actually from Ontario east they frequently refer to grouse as partridge as they hunt both ruffies and spruce. Partridge is frequently used to describe any "gallinaceous" bird which does include the chicken family as well.

Problem with "chicken" as a name in the west we are never sure if you are describing prairie chicken, sage grouse, sharptail grouse or huns as different people use "chickens" to mean a different species.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
A likely story.... You just found lots of second and third grouse, and they flew away before you shot at em.
Yeah, could be- I get mixed up in the three different sub-species!!
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Actually from Ontario east they frequently refer to grouse as partridge as they hunt both ruffies and spruce. Partridge is frequently used to describe any "gallinaceous" bird which does include the chicken family as well.

Problem with "chicken" as a name in the west we are never sure if you are describing prairie chicken, sage grouse, sharptail grouse or huns as different people use "chickens" to mean a different species.
You left out the "other " bird, the common ditch parrot!
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Banned

Cool post.

What is a ditch parrot?

Is that like a Holstein chicken or Holstein pheasant?

What are Hungarians, or grey partridge called east of Alberta?

Is the spruce goose any different going east?

And these woodcock. What makes them so special when you read an eastern based outdoors magazine?
Old 04-18-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Cool post.

What is a ditch parrot?

Is that like a Holstein chicken or Holstein pheasant?

What are Hungarians, or grey partridge called east of Alberta?

Is the spruce goose any different going east?
Ditch parrot? Same as the Chinese Magpie, or
" Missed that G&%76! Bird again!"
In other words, pheasant
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM

Default Greylynx

Not a lot of huns in the east but small pockets of them to my knowledge are still called huns.

Spruce goose was a plane so you would have to talk to Howard Hughes. Spruce grouse still taste as bad back east and are also considered survival food as you can kill them with a stick.

Woodcock are forest dwellers in damp soil that I think eat (and taste like) worms something like snipe but I wont eat those either, just a bit too strong for my pallet. Very challenging to try to hit a "timberdoodle" with a sub gauge shotty doing mach 10 through the trees. Tried both snipe and woodcock just once, will never shoot another one. You can have all mine!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Not a lot of huns in the east but small pockets of them to my knowledge are still called huns.

Spruce goose was a plane so you would have to talk to Howard Hughes. Spruce grouse still taste as bad back east and are also considered survival food as you can kill them with a stick.

Woodcock are forest dwellers in damp soil that I think eat (and taste like) worms something like snipe but I wont eat those either, just a bit too strong for my pallet. Very challenging to try to hit a "timberdoodle" with a sub gauge shotty doing mach 10 through the trees. Tried both snipe and woodcock just once, will never shoot another one. You can have all mine!
Spruce goose, lol.
I've tried snipe once and it was delicious. Interesting that the legs are white meat and the breast is dark. As every wild animal, it has to be processed and prepared accordingly. I'll gladly trade you a ruffie or two for a few snipe.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:00 PM

Default No partridge?

Grouse are Called Grouse on the Rock and Partridge are Called Partridge..Wit an accent of course..lol..lot's of Willow Ptarmigan, Known as Partridge, on the Rock..Not sure about other Maritimers..
Old 04-20-2014, 10:10 AM

In Manitoba growing up partridge was a generic upland bird that was not a pheasant., prairie chicken or just pain old chicken were other common slang.