Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Exclamation what would be your take on a Crossbow season?

What do you all think of this situation?

A separate crossbow season run as follows.

In zones where rifle opens sept 17th
Crossbow season from sept 17th to sept30th then rifle from oct 1st

In zones where rifle opens nov 1st
crossbow season from oct 15- oct 31st

Seems to me to be a good solution to this debate..
Whats your take??
Rob
Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Banned

Way to stir the pot.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM

not stiring anything. looking for opinions. that's how change happens!!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 PM

I would not at all be in favor of giving up the latter part of the elk rut, just so someone can have a crossbow season. If a special crossbow season is created, someone will immediately ask for a special muzzle loading season.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
not stiring anything. looking for opinions. that's how change happens!!
This has been beat to death on more than just this forum. Search it and you will see it on here and a few other sites. I am against your ideas on any more splitting any and all seasons between all weapons other than archery and rifle(open).
Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would not at all be in favor of giving up the latter part of the elk rut, just so someone can have a crossbow season. If a special crossbow season is created, someone will immediately ask for a special muzzle loading season.
It wont stop there either. Then we will be asked for a spear and knife season.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Its been beat to death on crossbows in archery season not on an alternative season for crossbows..
Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its been beat to death on crossbows in archery season not on an alternative season for crossbows..
Why do you need a different season then the one they have now? Who and what is next?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:20 PM

If rifle season starts sep 17th so does your crossbow season all your proposal does is shorten the rifle season.yes the same season if you can shoot a crossbow you can shoot a rifle.if you do get your animal you can lay down your crossbow and grap your gun not that hard
Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy View Post
If rifle season starts sep 17th so does your crossbow season all your proposal does is shorten the rifle season.yes the same season if you can shoot a crossbow you can shoot a rifle.if you do get your animal you can lay down your crossbow and grap your gun not that hard
X2

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM

I have never been in favour of special seasons, if a person wants to hunt with something , have at it, same as many of us already do.
What's next, a traditional archery or traditional muzzle loading season like they have in some States?
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never been in favour of special seasons, if a person wants to hunt with something , have at it, same as many of us already do.
What's next, a traditional archery or traditional muzzle loading season like they have in some States?
Cat
I agree , all or nothing . no need for special seasons. We have some archery only zones and there is no reason why a cross bow or Atlatl can't be part of that. Maybe change them to no fire arm zones if you like. Otherwise the rest of the zones should be, use what you wish .
Old 04-18-2014, 04:25 PM

Personally I'm in agreement with Cat on this one.

However, just for the sake of stirring this pot, how about putting things in 'effective range' seasons ?

Or how about people draw for tags for specific 'tools' (i.e. antlered muscle-power drawn bow whitetail, or crossbow cow moose, or muzzleloader mule deer) and they darn well better not be caught carrying a different tool than the tag is for?

Aw maybe not, SRD and APOS would just mess it all up anyway .

Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM

My take is that crossbow hunters shouldn't get an extra 3 days out of your deal, get your math right first.

If anything, we could do a trial run where the first week of current general seasons become a "primitive weapons" - anything but center fire rifle- season. Since its the gun guys whining about crossbows and atlatls.

if you want something YOU pay for it, not anyone or everyone else.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:33 PM

I agree with cat's take as well. We don't need another special season IMO.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 PM

I'm fine with the way things are. In fact the last thing I would want is a crossbow or muzzleloader season created.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:44 PM

Not in favour of a special season for crossbows at all.

If you want to hunt with a crossbow because you like it and it is more challenging, good for you and you should do it in the general season. If you want to have a special season so you can have the whole province to yourself and have an advantage over other hunters, I have a problem with that.

"General" is for any legal means. So you already have a crossbow season.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 PM

I'll throw in with those who would prefer to leave it be. The way it is now is fine, I see no need for any more special seasons. Crossbows can be used during the rifle season, so fans of them can use them already. I don't anyone feels like giving up part of their season to another special season.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 PM

Crossbow....archery. Whats the difference

Both shoot arrows. Both have a string. Both use a trigger mechanism. Both use broadheads.

One season.

There. Done. It never has to be debated again.

You are welcome.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I agree , all or nothing . no need for special seasons. We have some archery only zones and there is no reason why a cross bow or Atlatl can't be part of that. Maybe change them to no fire arm zones if you like. Otherwise the rest of the zones should be, use what you wish .
They might have more and more no firearm zones with more hunting pressure and less game. I wouldn't like it, but it could happen.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Cross bow...sure.
Special season...no.

I get a kick out of guys who think that others should get out of their way because they choose to exercise free will and do something.
Their choice becomes everyone elses problem.

How about this?

Hunt with a recurve, a crossbow, a compound, a traditional BP, an inline, a modern rifle, a spear a rock or whatever you wish and do it on an equal footing with everyone else.

Choose your weapon and accept the advantages and the disadvantages that come with that choice instead of looking for ways to push others out of the way.

One season... and you can choose to hunt within it using whatever weapon is your preference.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Cross bow...sure.
Special season...no.

I get a kick out of guys who think that others should get out of their way because they choose to exercise free will and do something.
Their choice becomes everyone elses problem.

How about this?

Hunt with a recurve, a crossbow, a compound, a traditional BP, an inline, a modern rifle, a spear a rock or whatever you wish and do it on an equal footing with everyone else.

Choose your weapon and accept the advantages and the disadvantages that come with that choice instead of looking for ways to push others out of the way.

One season... and you can choose to hunt within it using whatever weapon is your preference.
That makes way too much sense.

Imagine just having a hunting season. Period. No special "bow hunting" licence crap.

Pick up your favorite hunting tool and buy a tag and go.

But, someone always wants to be special
Old 04-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
That makes way too much sense.

Imagine just having a hunting season. Period. No special "bow hunting" licence crap.

Pick up your favorite hunting tool and buy a tag and go.

But, someone always wants to be special
I should start taking my meds.

When I do I can at least imagine a world where people do not expect others to compensate them for their individual choices.

Separate seasons was the worst idea ever and the rub is that we all went along with it at first because it seemed reasonable.

And then they wanted more....
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I should start taking my meds.

When I do I can at least imagine a world where people do not expect others to compensate them for their individual choices.

Separate seasons was the worst idea ever and the rub is that we all went along with it at first because it seemed reasonable.

And then they wanted more....
I have never liked the special seasons and never worried about using my stick bow or cap lock in the general season and i won't worry about using my Atlatl this year in the regular season either.
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
Not in favour of a special season for crossbows at all.

If you want to hunt with a crossbow because you like it and it is more challenging, good for you and you should do it in the general season. If you want to have a special season so you can have the whole province to yourself and have an advantage over other hunters, I have a problem with that.

"General" is for any legal means. So you already have a crossbow season.
X2 well said
Old 04-19-2014, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never liked the special seasons and never worried about using my stick bow or cap lock in the general season and i won't worry about using my Atlatl this year in the regular season either.
Cat

Thats because unlike so many others Cat... you are interested in challenge and not just pretending to be interested in challenge.

My rotator cuffs won't take that but I might be inclined to take up a cross-bow.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Banned

I'm not in favour of a special season for crossbow, it should be included in the archery only season just like all other archery tools including the atlatl.

The ABA wants to ban atlatls. The ABA fights the use of crossbows. The ABA is a bunch of entitled pigs that have no use for any other form of hunting other than their own. The ABA are idiots that couldn't care less about outdoorsmen that hunt using a different method, including the use of a rifle. The ABA is probably the biggest threat to our hunting heritage in Alberta.....bar none, including PETA. If you're a one trick pony then I understand you being a member of the ABA, but of you are a well rounded outdoorsmen and supporting the ABA, you're supporting one small segment of the hunting fraternity that use bows and no one else. If that's who you are, then do it. If you support all hunters in Alberta, then being a member in the ABA isn't going to do it for you. They care about bows only at the expense of all others.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
What do you all think of this situation?

A separate crossbow season run as follows.

In zones where rifle opens sept 17th
Crossbow season from sept 17th to sept30th then rifle from oct 1st

In zones where rifle opens nov 1st
crossbow season from oct 15- oct 31st

Seems to me to be a good solution to this debate..
Whats your take??
Rob
At one time I hunted with a bow , a cross bow, muzzle loader, and rifle. I don't bow hunt anymore and I would like to see cross bows allowed in the archery season. That will most likely never happen so a special cross bow season has little chance either. I think things are about as good as they are going to get. We have archery season and some primitive weapon zones. When I want to hunt with my crossbow or my muzzle loader I take them out in regular season and have at it. The only way to change anything is have a majority of people wanting the change, good luck with that.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 AM

If there was a crossbow season. I could see a lot of people go buy a crossbow try it for a day or two and the next season it would lay in a corner collecting dust. Those that want to bow hunt but can't physically pull a bow back can get a permit to hunt with a crossbow in archery season. You don't see many getting a permit because they are heavy, awkward an not as accurate as a bow.
I do think that people over 65 should be able to use them in archery without needing the hassle of a permit.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 AM

I agree crossbows belong in the archery season along with spears and atlatls. By the logic we are using now, compounds belong in the general season. With today's compounds a new hunter can be very accurate in a few shots if the bow is already set up. I realize that you still need to hold the draw wait with a bow but with today's let off it really isn't that much different then a crossbow. 40 pound draw with 80% let off is like 8 pounds. Some crossbows weigh more than 8 pounds.

I have no idea why spears and atlatls aren't already allowed in the archery season. Maybe that is the reason the ABA wants them banned. Not that they can't defend there use but, they can't defend keeping them out of the archery season.