Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm not in favour of a special season for crossbow, it should be included in the archery only season just like all other archery tools including the atlatl.

The ABA wants to ban atlatls. The ABA fights the use of crossbows. The ABA is a bunch of entitled pigs that have no use for any other form of hunting other than their own. The ABA are idiots that couldn't care less about outdoorsmen that hunt using a different method, including the use of a rifle. The ABA is probably the biggest threat to our hunting heritage in Alberta.....bar none, including PETA. If you're a one trick pony then I understand you being a member of the ABA, but of you are a well rounded outdoorsmen and supporting the ABA, you're supporting one small segment of the hunting fraternity that use bows and no one else. If that's who you are, then do it. If you support all hunters in Alberta, then being a member in the ABA isn't going to do it for you. They care about bows only at the expense of all others.
x2
Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post

Seems to me to be a good solution to this debate..
Whats your take??
Rob
A good solution is to leave it as it is. We do not need separate seasons for everything.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM

I would like to see a "limited range season" for 2 - 3 weeks after the regular general season closes in which crossbows, archery, and muzzleloaders could be used. No extra tags given out,,,, just another opportunity to hunt with any unused regular season tags. This way no one group gives up any current season for another and the muzzy and crossbow guys get their season (if they have left any tags unused).
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM

I, for one, am against a seperate season for crossbows. They resemble a rifle more than a bow, so leave them there in general season. There is no reason for a split season! I'm in agreeance with Cat on this one! Hunt the season with what you choose, that's allowable in that season. If you want a crossbow season, what's to stop there? Why not a primitive season, knife season, spear season, stone seasons, etc.? The crossbow was put in General so leave it there. dmcbride has a good point on Atlatls in Archery....why not?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaatlatl View Post
I, for one, am against a seperate season for crossbows. They resemble a rifle more than a bow, so leave them there in general season. There is no reason for a split season! I'm in agreeance with Cat on this one! Hunt the season with what you choose, that's allowable in that season. If you want a crossbow season, what's to stop there? Why not a primitive season, knife season, spear season, stone seasons, etc.? The crossbow was put in General so leave it there. dmcbride has a good point on Atlatls in Archery....why not?
You're hilarious. Suckin and blowing pretty hard there.

Archery and spears deserve a separate season but not crossbows.??!
Depends on which special interest group you're in I guess.

Since when are spear hunters more deserving than crossbow hunters? Don't bother answering this because this whole spear thing is nothing more than a distraction.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post

Since when are spear hunters more deserving than crossbow hunters? Don't bother answering this because this whole spear thing is nothing more than a distraction.
Where did his post say he wants a spear season? Might want to read it again.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

He agreed with dmcbide on putting spears and atlatals in archery season. But then is saying he doesn't believe in separate seasons as per cat in the hat.

Whatever works best. For him...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Default Crossbow season

The only way to manage this is to allow cross owns spears and atlatls in the general season.....oh wait a minute, they already are.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
the only way to manage this is to allow cross owns spears and atlatls in the general season.....oh wait a minute, they already are.
lol.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post

Just curious why you think there is a archery season? I always thought it was because it was harder and the success rate was lower. I am not trying to say there needs to be more separate seasons but maybe some methods belong in the archery season.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 AM

I personally don't use crossbow. there just always seems to be a ruckus on them so was curious what you guys thought of a separate season.
I will admit the one good comment that came out was a 2 week primitive weapon season after the general was over. to me crossbows can stay where they are im fine with that.
even with primitive weapons what are they? guys are shooting muzzle loaders to 900 yards now..
Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM

I have never understood the separation of the Archery and General seasons, but I have always wanted to take up Archery to take advantage of it. That said, I think that there should be only one "USE WHAT EVER IS LEGAL" season.

There are two exceptions to this though... Primitive weapons only in the highly populated City zones. And keeping the archery only season for Antelope because I believe that archers typically use decoys to get close. Don't want anyone shot sitting behind a decoy!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 AM

The archery season has its place. Archers have to get closer and to do that game cant be spooky. with an average shot of 30 yards there's no comparison to rifle there.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The archery season has its place. Archers have to get closer and to do that game cant be spooky. with an average shot of 30 yards there's no comparison to rifle there.
However our technology has increased do dramatically that 30 yards only applies to those that want to adhere to it.
Some bows are capable of longer yard distance , and some aren't
Same as the modern bolt action inclines ( and many hunters as well)
to say that they belong in a season with a traditional cap lock or flint lock because they are technically muzzle loaders loaders ridiculous .
Cat
Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy View Post
If rifle season starts sep 17th so does your crossbow season all your proposal does is shorten the rifle season.yes the same season if you can shoot a crossbow you can shoot a rifle.if you do get your animal you can lay down your crossbow and grap your gun not that hard
^^^^^^
Problem solved
Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
However our technology has increased do dramatically that 30 yards only applies to those that want to adhere to it.
Some bows are capable of longer yard distance , and some aren't
Same as the modern bolt action inclines ( and many hunters as well)
to say that they belong in a season with a traditional cap lock or flint lock because they are technically muzzle loaders loaders ridiculous .
Cat
yes the bows are but most shooters are not. even still 60 yards is streching it badly.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
What do you all think of this situation?

A separate crossbow season run as follows.

In zones where rifle opens sept 17th
Crossbow season from sept 17th to sept30th then rifle from oct 1st

In zones where rifle opens nov 1st
crossbow season from oct 15- oct 31st

Seems to me to be a good solution to this debate..
Whats your take??
Rob
I say shorten the bow seasons and introduce a muzzle loader season with 2 weeks in between each weapons seasons
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Crossbow....archery. Whats the difference

Both shoot arrows. Both have a string. Both use a trigger mechanism. Both use broadheads.

One season.

There. Done. It never has to be debated again.

You are welcome.
Well said

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well said
one has a scope.. difference found!!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
one has a scope.. difference found!!
You can put a scope on a Compound bow / you can shoot a cross bow without one what's your point
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Not dead against crossbows in archery season but when it comes to archery draws I would say you should also increase the % of tags going to archery if this is done.

Adding in the use of crossbows would increase the number of hunters using the archery draws so it would only make sense to increase % of tags.

Adding in the use of crossbows would take away the argument from hunters who say they cannot use a bow.

I have hunted with a crossbow in the past and the only thing crossbows have in common is a fletched projectile, string, and short range. Not against them but they are very different then a bow and a lot easier to become accurate with.

The biggest thing to take into consideration is with the increase of hunters using the archery season there will be an increase in harvest. Because of this changes in how these season are run would be needed to properly mange wildlife.

Really this could increase and decrease opportunity for hunters at the same time. Take into consideration that archery season would need to be adjusted to achieve proper management of game numbers. You would not be able to run seasons they same as they are now.

In the end it is not as simple as just adding crossbows to archery season
Old 04-19-2014, 12:32 PM

I was waiting for the sight scope comment. a little different I think.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 PM

don't want to ague the difference between compound and regular archery tackle. they are very different. it would be like comparing a pistol to a rifle.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Personally I could never figure out why there has to be a special season for anything. When hunting season opens, take what what you want to hunt with and get hunting.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Gun Powder vs. No-Gun Powder

My two cents, only two hunting seasons, one specifically for things that don't go "boom", and one that does. Of course you have to have archery only WMU's to keep rifles away from populated areas and keep the unskilled firearm users and the non-firearms community happy, but that to me is acceptable.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 PM

Why not bow and crossbow the same season, they are virtually the same now,
Old 04-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndw View Post
Why not bow and crossbow the same season, they are virtually the same now,
They really aren't, though. I really don't think most people appreciate the fact that one of THE most difficult elements of bowhunting is the actual drawing of the bow undetected. Being able to pre-cock the Xbow and shoot it from any position, including prone, makes it a drastically more efficient, and easier weapon to use.

I have no doubt that many people will now say that "You can hold an 80% let off bow for ages!". Well, I've been a top flight competitive archer for over 10 years, and I've seen a lot of people, including some dang large ones, claim that they can hold their bow at full draw for X number of minutes and still make an efficient shot. Despite those claims, I've never actually seen anybody who could back it up. A 1 minute draw is going to cripple the accuracy of 95% of people. I'm not saying that there isn't ANYBODY who can't hold a draw for 3 minutes and still make a decent shot, but they are very, very few and far between.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 PM

I think it's simple stupid.
2 seasons

Rifle/shotgun, deepening on location

Primitive, everything else.

KISS

Brad
Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Banned

Cross bow season would be retarded i agree with the 2 weeks after general season ends that would be awesome
Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefisher2885 View Post
They really aren't, though. I really don't think most people appreciate the fact that one of THE most difficult elements of bowhunting is the actual drawing of the bow undetected. Being able to pre-cock the Xbow and shoot it from any position, including prone, makes it a drastically more efficient, and easier weapon to use.

I have no doubt that many people will now say that "You can hold an 80% let off bow for ages!". Well, I've been a top flight competitive archer for over 10 years, and I've seen a lot of people, including some dang large ones, claim that they can hold their bow at full draw for X number of minutes and still make an efficient shot. Despite those claims, I've never actually seen anybody who could back it up. A 1 minute draw is going to cripple the accuracy of 95% of people. I'm not saying that there isn't ANYBODY who can't hold a draw for 3 minutes and still make a decent shot, but they are very, very few and far between.

Exactly what I was thinking, its not an issue of accuracy. You can buy a device called a draw-lock for a compound that allows you to draw and lock the string in place till your ready to shoot. They are not legal here because they make it much easier to successfully get a shot. Bowhunters will probably mostly agree that you get busted trying to draw more than anything else. I've also been unable to take the shot on some nice deer because I wasn't in quite the right position to take the shot. They would have been easy shots with a crossbow.
The thing you have to remember with adding seasons or allowing more effective weapons is that there are only so many animals that can be taken from the herd. If we take more in one season, we must take less in another. Allow crossbows into archery, and more animals will be taken. Tags will have to be reduced elsewhere. Same goes for muzzleloaders. Allowing 2 extra weeks at the end of the season, when the deer have already been pushed hard for the whole season is not something that I think would have a positive effect on the health of the herd either.