Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM

Default New member and new fly-fishing set-up!

Hey everybody -

I'm new to Calgary from Ontario and looking to get into fly-fishing. I always wanted to do it back home but the riverbanks are choked with trees and vegetation, making it difficult or impossible to fly fish. Anyways, I'm looking to buy my first set-up and was looking at the bass pro sale and they have a TFO pro special on sale for $89.99 reg. $150....seems like a good deal to me and I've read great things about TFO fly rods and know from experience that their baitcasting rods are outstanding. Does anybody have any experience with this rod? I'm thinking a 6 weight - 9 footer for my first as a good all arounder...I really wanted to get a pieroway rod with it being a local company and apparently very good rods but at almost twice the price of the TFO, I'm not sure if i can justify the purchase....As for a reel, BPS also has a sage 1650 reel on sale for $79 reg 115...anybody have any thoughts on this reel for my first one? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any input you can provide a shmelt like me!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM

For the money you are paying I think you are getting great value. Your next purchase is the line and backing.I would suggest floating line for your first line. That is very important and you need some good qualified assistance there. You don't need to purchase the most expensive line going but you do need great quality.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
For the money you are paying I think you are getting great value. Your next purchase is the line and backing.I would suggest floating line for your first line. That is very important and you need some good qualified assistance there. You don't need to purchase the most expensive line going but you do need great quality.

agreed, go for it. they have Sage wf floating line on right now too. $49 i believe. supposedly manufactured by RIO. i've fished it and there's nothing wrong with it. found it not quite as supple as RIO but a lot nicer than SA line.

Dace
Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 AM

Welcome to the forum.
That's it. Carry on folks.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 AM

Welcome. I as well have the same set up TFO 9' 6W with floating line and it's pretty universal for all the types of fishing around here. Just need to add a sink tip on your floating line as well when you want to go deeper faster. Works fine. Good quality rod for the money and to start out your reel is just a fancy line holder for now. Don't need the top of the line for now. I'm not even at that stage yet (slow learner maybe).
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 AM

I have that reel. Sage 1650. Also a second spool for my sinking line. I like it. For the sale price you can't beat it.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
agreed, go for it. they have Sage wf floating line on right now too. $49 i believe. supposedly manufactured by RIO. i've fished it and there's nothing wrong with it. found it not quite as supple as RIO but a lot nicer than SA line.

Dace
Cool! Ill grab some of that line too then! Is it the Sage Performance Taper 2 line that is in the flyer? What about Cortland line? Is it any good or should I stick with the Sage line? ....What else will I need to complete my set up? What do you guys use for leaders? Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 AM

Don't but that cortland line for 17$ it will just **** you off buy there 444 line or somthing around the 40$ price point. Cheap line is just that cheap.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM

The guy at bass pro told me that that line is 444. Just not in the cortland box. It may be but defiantly line that didn't make the quality cut. I bought some at the last sale and it was quite bumpy. Was it worth the 17 bucks? I don't think so.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM

Thanks guys, I will stay away from that line and go with the Sage line instead.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Default fly line FYI

FWIW,Airflo, Scientific anglers, Rio and Cortland (the big four if you will) are 4 of the 7 companies in the world that make flylines (of the other three one is Canadian Northern fly lines and 2 are in China).* "The big four" make most of the "house" lines for other companies such as Hardy, Grey's, Redington, and others, while the other three make up the rest of the market of "house lines" that other companies and custom rod builders make.

Point being I guess,your paying a premium to have the Sage,Orvis etc. name on the box that your line comes packaged in,when in fact it was mfrd for them by either one of the Big 4 or or at some offshore communist sweatshop.IMO,the quality of line you choose is almost as important as the rod itself,and far more important than the reel that you spool it on in regards to your average trout fishing applications.A good quality line will compliment any rod and casting enjoyment immeasurably vs. cheap crap line.Skimp on the reel if you must,but ALWAYS buy the best flyline that you can afford.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 PM

Agree with grinr. Line is just as important as the rod. I'm sure sage lines are still made by Rio, probably a mainstream line with the sage name on it and up the price another $10. Check around, I was in Cabelas yesterday and seen some highend Rio lines on for $50-60. I've been using Rio lines for 15 years and love them.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM

K cool, I will be sure to get the best line possible....I will prob grab some high end rio