Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Default stink pail advise

so i have a handful of stink pails to use for this seasons coyote bait sites. They have beaver carcasses in them and have been "brewing" all summer out in the heat. they are very smelly to say the least. My question is: what is the best way to utilize the pails at a bait site? as I said I'm targeting coyotes mainly but have one area where wolves have passed through on occasion. what would you guys do?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
so i have a handful of stink pails to use for this seasons coyote bait sites. They have beaver carcasses in them and have been "brewing" all summer out in the heat. they are very smelly to say the least. My question is: what is the best way to utilize the pails at a bait site? as I said I'm targeting coyotes mainly but have one area where wolves have passed through on occasion. what would you guys do?
Depending on your terrain and your snare site. I’d use my bait by placing it where I can play the wind and cover the most area. Ie top of a creek That way the smell will work with the thermals I have also used a post hole digger and put a 8” hole about a 2’ deep. Poured the pail into it and let it work. Use the pail for fleshing waste and dump it in the area for the birds to call the coyotes into the area. Meanwhile the brew is stinking up the area pulling in the Yotes without giving the birds anything to investigate. I’ve set up cameras year round on the brew holes and have had bears (which make the game trails for) wolves, coyotes, lynx and marten come check them out.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:20 PM

ya i was thinking of digging a hole but a few sites i will be snaring won't be accessible till December when its froze up. i may try drilling a few holes in the lid of the bucket and leaving it at the bait site all season
Old 10-21-2017, 08:36 PM

My wolf baits all have the stink bucket hanging in a tree in a burlap sack. Lasts all season and birds don't get at it. Had a good laugh when one of the fish cops wanted to check out a wolf bait of mine as well and got it all over his hands wanting to find out what was in the sack. Felt bad for him and I am sure he could smell it for a week or so after because that stuff doesn't come off well no matter how many showers a guy takes
Old 10-21-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
My wolf baits all have the stink bucket hanging in a tree in a burlap sack. Lasts all season and birds don't get at it. Had a good laugh when one of the fish cops wanted to check out a wolf bait of mine as well and got it all over his hands wanting to find out what was in the sack. Felt bad for him and I am sure he could smell it for a week or so after because that stuff doesn't come off well no matter how many showers a guy takes
haha! priceless!