Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Alberta hunters charged and convicted

Two Alberta sheep hunters fined over $10,000 for transporting guns and sheep through Banff National Park.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/hu...sheep-20181101
Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
Two Alberta sheep hunters fined over $10,000 for transporting guns and sheep through Banff National Park.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/hu...sheep-20181101
Bet they wish they made the 30km trek in now, easy way is rarely the right way.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Banned

I wonder what they were thinking????
They had guns put in Gun socks. That makes me think they were trying to live up to another set of regulations. Isn't it provincial parks where you have to have guns packed up?
Old 11-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Default right

Yes I believe you are right. Completely covered in provincial parks (bows as well) and only in vehicles on roadways in National parks.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Brutal. The story of this hunt is still posted on a couple facebook groups. Looks like they didn't quite complete the trip as the described. They clearly state in their story it was a 30km hike out (what it would be not using the park trails), but the article states it is only about 6km using park trails. Seems to indicate they knew something was not right about using those park trails.

Last edited by LJalberta; 11-05-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Default what groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
Brutal. The story of this hunt is still posted on a couple facebook groups. Looks like they didn't quite complete the trip as the described. They clearly state in their story it was a 30km hike out (what it would be not using the park trails), but the article states it is only about 6km using park trails. Seems to indicate they knew something was not right about using those park trails.
What groups is it posted under? I would like to have a look at them.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Should have taken the long way home....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2018, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Should have taken the long way home....
Take short cuts we'll eventually it catches up to you......lie, cheat, steal....oh wait it was the authorities fault now dig away to find a loop hole eh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2018, 06:57 AM

Sure they broke the law but some groups are allowed to hunt within national parks. I think perhaps the law should be changed to allow hiking through parks to get where we want to go.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 AM

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Sure they broke the law but some groups are allowed to hunt within national parks. I think perhaps the law should be changed to allow hiking through parks to get where we want to go.
Yes and some may agree with you. But the is in place NOW so you must respect it.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 AM

Unhappy Blatant violation...IMHO

1) a hunter cannot pack a rifle on your back through the National Park.

2) a hunter cannot pack a Ram out through the National Park.

3) clearly they were aware, as they concocted a ruse on social media claiming the 30 km hike out.

4) I’m thinking their outdoor apparel clothing sponsor is less than delighted.

5) according to the testimony, and the evidence reported, we are supposed to believe each hunter, in ONE TRIP, packed out their gear, a rifle, and....a Rams head with cape, and all of the meat in ONE trip.
30k.....6k...... struggling with that one.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Wow ! What a loop hole that would be if it would be legal.

If they shot the Rams outside the park...which they did .
They should be able to keep the heads and just pay the fines.

If they can't keep the heads they should lose their rifles and their trucks etc.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Yup that would be a loop hole all right .

So how does a guy return from a BC Sheep Hunt to Alberta with his Sheep.

Would he need a special permit to travel threw the park hyw to get back to Alberta with his sheep.

Or is there some other Hyw he would have to return on .
Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Good luck with that, it will never happen.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:47 PM

I phoned parks Canada and ask the question. "Can I carry a firearm through a national park". The response was yes you can as long as the firearm is fully encased with the bolt removed and the bolt is stored in a separate compartment away from the bullets.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimard View Post
I had this same idea for a non trophy sheep hunt, called the Banff parks office and was told that "as long as rifle is in a case it is good to transport from in park to outside of park to hunt". That would suck big time if you got wrong info on the rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I phoned parks Canada and ask the question. "Can I carry a firearm through a national park". The response was yes you can as long as the firearm is fully encased with the bolt removed and the bolt is stored in a separate compartment away from the bullets.
Pretty weird because the hunting regs clearly state:

Someone is providing wrong info there it seems. The above is as clear as it could be, really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regs.jpg (29.4 KB, 779 views)
Old 11-06-2018, 03:46 PM

From the Canada National Parks Act

20 (1) No person shall be in possession of a firearm in a park unless the firearm is not loaded and is transported in a case or is wrapped and tied securely in such a manner that no part of the firearm is exposed.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) a person in Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve who is hunting pursuant to a hunting permit issued under subsection 13.1(1); or

(b) a bonded armoured car service guard who is carrying out assigned duties in the park.

(3) No person shall

(a) have a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle, vessel or aircraft; or

(b) discharge a firearm from a vehicle, vessel or aircraft.

(4) The superintendent may issue a permit authorizing a person to carry a firearm or trap where the firearm or trap is to be carried through the park for use outside the park.

(5) No person shall carry a firearm or trap outside a vehicle, vessel or aircraft unless

(a) that person

(i) has a permit from the superintendent authorizing the carrying of a firearm or trap, whichever is applicable, and

(ii) complies with these Regulations; or

(b) the firearm or trap is being carried directly

(i) from a vehicle, vessel or aircraft to that person’s premises, or

(ii) to a vehicle, vessel or aircraft from that person’s premises.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:19 PM

While reading the thread I thought of two things.

The guys should have applied for a permit to transfer their firearms through the park.

Or they should have used a bow.

Quote:

20 (1) No person shall be in possession of a firearm in a park unless the firearm is not loaded and is transported in a case or is wrapped and tied securely in such a manner that no part of the firearm is exposed.

(a) a person in Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve who is hunting pursuant to a hunting permit issued under subsection 13.1(1); or

(b) a bonded armoured car service guard who is carrying out assigned duties in the park.

(3) No person shall

(4) The superintendent may issue a permit authorizing a person to carry a firearm or trap where the firearm or trap is to be carried through the park for use outside the park.

(5) No person shall carry a firearm or trap outside a vehicle, vessel or aircraft unless

(a) that person

(i) has a permit from the superintendent authorizing the carrying of a firearm or trap, whichever is applicable, and

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-06-2018, 05:39 PM

I see what your saying! But I think they would have been hooped even with a bow in this instance as the act provides its own definition of firearm.

firearm means any weapon from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged and that is capable of causing injury or death to wildlife and includes anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm and anything that is designed for or capable of being used for the purpose of causing injury or death to wildlife; (arme ŕ feu)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:

(3) No person shall

(a) that person

Based on what this reads I agree that it appears it is perfectly legal to transport a firearm. Regulation 20 (1) seems to be what the parks people are telling those who have phoned in. And subsequently B(5) a)ii states "unless they are following the regulation" which in my eyes resorts back to 20(1).

Confusing though
Old 11-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crblair View Post
Based on what this reads I agree that it appears it is perfectly legal to transport a firearm. Regulation 20 (1) seems to be what the parks people are telling those who have phoned in. And subsequently B(5) a)ii states "unless they are following the regulation" which in my eyes resorts back to 20(1).

Confusing though
Section 5a parts i and ii are tied together with an "and". 5ai says "has a permit". So you need a permit AND need to be following the regulations. Section 4 covers the getting a permit to carry a firearm to be used outside of the park. So to me it reads that to stay legal on those regs you'd need a permit from the warden.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post

Someone is providing wrong info there it seems. The above is as clear as it could be, really.
Or someone completely misunderstood what the warden was saying. I had a long talk with a warden in Waterton sometime ago, real nice young guy and he flat out told me "you will be in a lot of trouble with a gun on your pack in the park". Even said just skirting the edge and you happen to slip inside the boundary they would offer no leniency. I find it really difficult to believe that anyone in Parks Canada would not know the simple rules regarding guns in a national park.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post

Right from the head warden.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Right from the head warden.
You should call him back, tell him about this case and the hunting regulations, even read it to and refer him to the exact page where the regulations on hunting and possession of firearms in national parks is outlined and see what he says. Would be interested to hear what the head warden says. Not sure it will help in court even if he still says what you say he told you and you record the conversation; it will most likely help with fines, but conviction will probably stay (I have no clue, it is just a speculation). Quite interesting, actually. I wonder... Do it and tell us what he says

Also interested in what it actually takes to get a permit.

Last edited by Bub; 11-13-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 03:02 PM

these were the sheep, off of one of the fb pages they had posted in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Looks like his “ Luck” ran out.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:37 PM

I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to do something illegal and then boast about it on FB. They are certainly hunting for the wrong reasons.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote of the year....
Maybe even...

Decade
😏
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to do something illegal and then boast about it on FB. They are certainly hunting for the wrong reasons.
The need to stroke the ego is obviously overwhelming for some.