Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I personally never met Rick Cross, but after reading this this morning (don't know if it's been posted or not yet) I feel like I really do know him - a brother in faith as well is in the outdoorsman spirit.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/09/09...charitable-man

I just feel I have to say that my thoughts and prayers have, more than 'normal', been with his family since we all heard the news. Now, having read this article, I am comforted and confident Rick's loved ones will be blessed from above in this sad and difficult time.

May God especially bless his wife and family abundantly in this great loss they have suffered.

(Mods, sorry if this post transcends forum rules, it's just something I felt deeply that I had to say.)
I had to quit reading the comments below that article. It is absolutely disgusting that people could make such comments .
Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I had to quit reading the comments below that article. It is absolutely disgusting that people could make such comments .
Typical Anti sentiment. Typical hypocritical, uniformed crap. No remorse for the hunter, just the animals.
They make me sick...
Old 09-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Typical Anti sentiment. Typical hypocritical, uniformed crap. No remorse for the hunter, just the animals.
They make me sick...
X100....sadly,such comments are predictable whenever a hunter doesn't make it home from the field,some sick bass turd antis consider it cause for celebration.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:25 PM

I've been sickened by the scale on which negative comments are being made on every news article or twitter posting related to this terrible event. I had no idea anti-hunting sentiment was so pervasively rabid.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
X100....sadly,such comments are predictable whenever a hunter doesn't make it home from the field,some sick bass turd antis consider it cause for celebration.
I'd like to see any of those computer jockeys say a comment like that in person. They'd be missing some teeth pretty quick. Just like AO in some ways, everyone feels they can say whatever without accountability. That's why I use my real name, what I say online I'd be willing to say in person.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
As said earlier I hope the family can find peace in the fact that he past doing something that he loved and was passionate about. We all hunt alone from time to time because we love the mountains. It's so unfortunate but I will hug my wife and tell her if a grizzly eats me it will be terrible but I love being out there that much as I'm sure he did. My prayers go out
X2. I can't imagine how hard it is on the man's family but if he was as passionate about the mountains as it has been said, I can't imagine him sitting at home on the couch either. RIP
Old 09-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
X2. Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

It's also very dissapointing to read some of the disgusting comments made on this article.
My thoughts go out to Ricks family. I have a profound sadness for the loss and pain that will never completely diminish . After reading about Rick and all his work in life to help countless people in many countries including our own one can only wonder what kind of world we live in with all the negative feed back from some people who couldn't possibly have an ounce of the dignity and compassion and love for the outdoors that Rick brought to his family and many many others simply because they are ignorant. Very sorry for the loss of Rick and although I have never met Rick or any of his family or friends I will think of him and them often when I am out in the hills and mountains enjoying the hunt listening to the sound of true freedom out there. 4SUNS
Old 09-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Screw all those selfish hating PETA loving arses in the comments. He's apart of our hunting community if you knew him or not.

Rest in peace brother, may the hunting gods take care of you now.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I feel sorry for you and I will pray for you.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I read one of the links above and saw that Rick volunteered at Camp Tee Pee Pole west of Sundre. This camp is an all boys camp that focuses on God, the outdoors, and raising boys into men. It is for this reason that we have been sending our 11 year old son there for the past 2 years.

I had the difficult task of telling my son that a man he knew and looked up to had been killed. It's something that no father ever wants to do, particularly with a young man.

To Rick's family and friends: please know that Rick had a positive impact on my sons life. He taught him to love God, the outdoors, encouraged him to become a strong young man, and reinforced firearm safety. My dream is for that to be said about me when it is my time.

To everyone else reading this: Be safe and think about the impact you will have on others and the legacy you will leave behind.

SS
Those are some really great thoughts on a sad situation. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:11 PM

How can anyone in this world think it is better for a person to die than an animal it baffles me.
I wonder if one of those antis was getting chewed on how they would feel then.

Rip and my condolences to his family and friends.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemorholake View Post
Well, thank you! I really appreciate it!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, after a bit of thought, if you agree with a lot of those comments made that I was talking about, maybe you should save they praying for yourself. And trust me, pray as hard as you can because where you are going you are going to need it!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Banned

Just looked at some of the more recent posts and it's very comforting to know Rick was a man of faith. I am sure his family will miss him but take comfort in the fact he is home with the father.

God bless Rick,, enjoy being home.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:43 AM

Default Grizz to be left alone.

Just heard on global news the Sow Grizzly and her cub are to be left alone.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
??????????????????
Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
What the heck are they thinking, p poor decision. Why in any bodies thinking would you not put that bear down wether or not it was on a kill. Obviously a very aggressive bear and there is no shortage of them out there. I can hardly believe that decision.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 AM

My heart and prayers go out to anyone touched by this loss.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
What the heck are they thinking, p poor decision. Why in any bodies thinking would you not put that bear down wether or not it was on a kill. Obviously a very aggressive bear and there is no shortage of them out there. I can hardly believe that decision.

Sad situation. My condolences friends and family.

I have to and will disagree with the above quoted. No I wont state why, as I feel its a no brainer. Bdub, you are not thinking clearly, you must have been close to the deceased. Ignorance, hatred and vengeance can be understood, but its not excusable. You need to read and understand exactly what is pasted on the very bottom of each and every post you lay down here... There is value in that.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post

I have to and will disagree with the above quoted. No I wont state why, as I feel its a no brainer. Bdub, you are not thinking clearly, you must have been close to the deceased. Ignorance, hatred and vengeance can be understood, but its not excusable. You need to read and understand exactly what is pasted on the very bottom of each and every post you lay down here... There is value in that.
Perhaps my thoughts and reasoning on the bears status is a topic for another thread. Condolences again to family and friends.

And no Pack I didn't know the man personally, just as a fellow person with something in common.

Last edited by bdub; 09-12-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
That bear has lost any ounce of respect or fear it may have had for humans,it needs to die now!
People wouldn't think twice about putting down a dog that mauled a child....but a grizz kills a man and that's just nature,WTF!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post

Pack although I knew rick very well I feel the same on all bear/cougar attacks, I say the animal gets destroyed regardless of the situation. Main reason do you really want to take that risk that they won't do it again if the wrong buttons are pushed?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
That bear has lost any ounce of respect or fear it may have had for humans,it needs to die now!
People wouldn't think twice about putting down a dog that mauled a child....but a grizz kills a man and that's just nature,WTF!!!
Except for the fact that the sow had cubs with her.
Why is it that we have to kill every animal that has hurt it killed someone in the wilderness?
Cat
Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Sure hope that old sow griz doesn't put egg on someone's face by doing it again. That would be doubly tragic allowing her to repeat, even if it's defensive instead of predatory
Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sure hope that old sow griz doesn't put egg on someone's face by doing it again. That would be doubly tragic allowing her to repeat, even if it's defensive instead of predatory
Bears with cubs are dangerous, everybody knows that .
Cat
Old 09-12-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Bears with cubs are dangerous, everybody knows that .
Cat
Agreed, but how many more dead humans would be too many ??
Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Agreed, but how many more dead humans would be too many ??
So go kill 'em all then and be done with it, just in case another person gets killed
While you're at it you may as well wipe out the cougars and the wolves as well, just in case.

Cat
Old 09-12-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
So go kill 'em all then and be done with it, just in case another person gets killed
While you're at it you may as well wipe out the cougars and the wolves as well, just in case.

Cat
I know people who hunt the area now, myself & family next week. I said nothing about killing them all 'just in case'. That grizzly kills another human & anybody on the fence isn't coming down on her side, much less more families grieving. I am on the fence, I hope she doesn't do something to make me come down.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 PM

This particular bear killed a human without receiving any consequence. The odds are now even higher that the bear will repeat the same behavioral pattern when in contact with a human. Draw your own conclusions. IMO a poor decision on behalf of management.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:35 PM

Default o

I'm with Cat on this one. I feel for the family, and i'd be curious to see what they feel about it. For me, I would hope if it were the same circumstance that my family would hold no grudge on the bear. Then again I might feel awful different if it was my loved one, but I hope not. I will have gone doing what I loved instead of some hospital bed.
RIP brother