Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Archer View Post
Sheesh...my heart goes out to this man's family. A tragic outcome, and I can only imagine he was an incredible guy, following his passion, alone, which any of us who do the same can understand. I hope his family finds peace and comfort in the solace that he was doing what he loved to do...may he rest in peace.
x4

David
Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 AM

Prayers are with your family from all of the Western Canadian hunting community. God bless.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. RIP
Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 AM

So sad. My heart sank when I heard he was missing, fearing the worst while hoping for the best.

Condolences and blessings to his family and friends, as well as thoughts and prayers.

I often go out alone into the bush. It bothers my wife, but she knows why I must do it. I suspect it's for the same reasons our fellow outdoorsman Mr. Rick Cross did - love of the outdoors, the hunt experience, the way of life that brings a sense of tranquility and balance in the busyness of life.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM

My condolences to his family and friends
Old 09-09-2014, 11:38 AM

I feel so sorry for the family and friends of this hunter, my condolences. This is defiantly a reality check for those of us who spend time in the mountains.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
Prayers are with your family from all of the Western Canadian hunting community. God bless.
x2..
Old 09-09-2014, 01:21 PM

May his soul rest in peace. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRock View Post
May his soul rest in peace. My condolences to his family and friends.
x2
Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM

Default so sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
x2
x3
Old 09-09-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
So sad. My heart sank when I heard he was missing, fearing the worst while hoping for the best.

Condolences and blessings to his family and friends, as well as thoughts and prayers.

I often go out alone into the bush. It bothers my wife, but she knows why I must do it. I suspect it's for the same reasons our fellow outdoorsman Mr. Rick Cross did - love of the outdoors, the hunt experience, the way of life that brings a sense of tranquility and balance in the busyness of life.
x2
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. I am still finding it difficult to believe my cousin is gone.

He had been looking for someone to go with him. I was thinking of going for the hike (I don't hunt sheep, i hunt pheasant), but decided not to cancel a BBQ with my in laws. I don't know if I should regret or be thankful for that decision...
Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Dude, don't even think like that. There are so many variables in life, there is no way you should beat yourself up thinking that things would have turned out different. Maybe there would then be 2 lost souls.
RIP.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
Dude, don't even think like that. There are so many variables in life, there is no way you should beat yourself up thinking that things would have turned out different. Maybe there would then be 2 lost souls.
RIP.
very true..x2 here

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 PM

My most heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of this man.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:48 PM

November 3 is St Hubertus Day...St Hubertus is the patron Saint of Hunters.

I'm not really a 'praying' kinda guy, but I will be out in the bush somewhere...by myself...saying a little prayer for this fellow Hunter. RIP
Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Heartfelt condolences to the family & friends. RIP
Old 09-09-2014, 06:45 PM

Well that wasn't fun, just finished an interview with global, I only hope and pray that what I said was a proper tribute to the fine Godly man that I was proud to call my friend. Guys I hope this is a good lesson to hunt with others in bear country for one and a sobering reminder that when God calls us home it can happen when we least expect it. Be careful out there boys
Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 PM

This is difficult to process. Its too small of a community for any of us to not feel a sense of connection and relate it back to your own situation. I can only imagine how his family feels and I have definitely spent some time thinking about him and them today. Like everyone else my heart goes out to them.

I heard about this on the radio as I was getting ready to go into my stand - solo at 5:30 am. It makes you stop and think for sure. Ironically I came across a very fresh set of G Bear tracks in the snow on the way and evaluated whether or not I continue. To make a long process, short, I consciously decided to carry on but its the first time I ever held the can of bear spray in my hand while walking in the bush in the dark. Its close to a 60 minute walk from the truck to my stand.

We stalk quietly and often alone in our hunting locations which defies the conventional wisdom of "travel in groups and make noise" to avoid a negative encounter with wildlife. Add to the fact that we deal with fresh kills in the field I can see why some people don't understand what we do or why we do it. I thought about that myself a lot today and I don't have a good answer except that I just have this overwhelming desire to be there. I love to hunt. I love the solitude of the great outdoors. I love having every sense on high alert. Its hard to explain it to people as I tried to probably unsuccessfully today. I don't want to die doing it but its always a possibility I guess. I can only assume Mr. Cross felt the same way.

I share his passion for hunting in the mountains - even if you can't convince a partner to go with you. Its difficult to describe the feeling. I can only surmise that his reasons for going on Saturday would be similar to what I might say if anyone asked me why I did it too. But no doubt he evaluated his situation and consciously decided to go.

I get pretty excited this time of year but there is a black cloud over the start of the season for sure. This one is literally and figuratively close to home for me.

My deepest condolences to his family and wishing everyone else a safe season.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Heartbreaking and hits close to home for many of us. RIP fellow outdoorsman.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Default So sad

So tragic. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Everyone else stay safe!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:05 PM

The end isn't as dark when a man is lost doing something that brought light to his life.

May the passing of time and the good memories that remain bring some peace to the people that loved him.

All the best,
Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post
Thanks for all the kind words. I am still finding it difficult to believe my cousin is gone.

He had been looking for someone to go with him. I was thinking of going for the hike (I don't hunt sheep, i hunt pheasant), but decided not to cancel a BBQ with my in laws. I don't know if I should regret or be thankful for that decision...
Without question, please do not accept any guilt in what happened. Just remember the man appropriately.

My condolences to you and all of his family and friends.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 AM

Our community and his family have lost a good man. Godspeed to Rick. My deepest condolences to his loved ones.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 AM

I personally never met Rick Cross, but after reading this this morning (don't know if it's been posted or not yet) I feel like I really do know him - a brother in faith as well is in the outdoorsman spirit.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/09/09...charitable-man

I just feel I have to say that my thoughts and prayers have, more than 'normal', been with his family since we all heard the news. Now, having read this article, I am comforted and confident Rick's loved ones will be blessed from above in this sad and difficult time.

May God especially bless his wife and family abundantly in this great loss they have suffered.

(Mods, sorry if this post transcends forum rules, it's just something I felt deeply that I had to say.)
Old 09-10-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I personally never met Rick Cross, but after reading this this morning (don't know if it's been posted or not yet) I feel like I really do know him - a brother in faith as well is in the outdoorsman spirit.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/09/09...charitable-man

I just feel I have to say that my thoughts and prayers have, more than 'normal', been with his family since we all heard the news. Now, having read this article, I am comforted and confident Rick's loved ones will be blessed from above in this sad and difficult time.

May God especially bless his wife and family abundantly in this great loss they have suffered.

(Mods, sorry if this post transcends forum rules, it's just something I felt deeply that I had to say.)
X2. Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

It's also very dissapointing to read some of the disgusting comments made on this article.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Well that wasn't fun, just finished an interview with global, I only hope and pray that what I said was a proper tribute to the fine Godly man that I was proud to call my friend. Guys I hope this is a good lesson to hunt with others in bear country for one and a sobering reminder that when God calls us home it can happen when we least expect it. Be careful out there boys
Your friend would be proud.
Thoughts are with you and the family.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Default He died doing what he loved.

Hunted with Rick 25 yrs ago a great man, fun to be with, very dedicated.
Best memory was on Misti ridge: Herd of Elk below us with 2 big bulls, Bighorn sheep in upper basin feeding, and a big griz across from us flipping rocks. Sat until dark and waited until the full moon came out to walk out.
I will see you again my brother when I am called home.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...444/story.html
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Sad to hear the family and world lost an awesome guy. The story in the paper paints a picture of a guy who lived with passion and was eager to serve others. It seems to me that he leaves a great legacy and those whose lives he touched were blessed to know him. May the Father give comfort to those struggling with the loss.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 PM

I read one of the links above and saw that Rick volunteered at Camp Tee Pee Pole west of Sundre. This camp is an all boys camp that focuses on God, the outdoors, and raising boys into men. It is for this reason that we have been sending our 11 year old son there for the past 2 years.

I had the difficult task of telling my son that a man he knew and looked up to had been killed. It's something that no father ever wants to do, particularly with a young man.

To Rick's family and friends: please know that Rick had a positive impact on my sons life. He taught him to love God, the outdoors, encouraged him to become a strong young man, and reinforced firearm safety. My dream is for that to be said about me when it is my time.

To everyone else reading this: Be safe and think about the impact you will have on others and the legacy you will leave behind.

SS