Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Suffield Area elk

Thinking of the areas around the base...

For those who have hunted those zones the past few years, is trying to put in for that draw still worthwhile? Up until a few years ago the stories were of lots of elk, spread out hunters (and not many) and a fun, worthwhile hunting experience. Not necessarily easy, but a good experience hunting prairie elk.
The news from the past few years seems to be stories of animals hunted and scared off before the season, very few animals in the area, hard to obtain permission and not a worthwhile hunting experience overall.

Can anyone comment if this is true?
Old 06-02-2017, 02:14 PM

I did that hunt 2 yrs ago and used up a high point draw I was sitting on. My opinion of it: I went with the hopes of seeing some nice antlered Elk, maybe some tanks. I did, all on the base and through a spotting scope. Why, because the ranchers called in the Natives, which were in during July and lets just say cleaned up. My time there was a warm fall, the river didn't freeze solid so the elk could not cross to the areas I had most of my permission. It was a wasteland for elk sightings. So between hunts I was on the phone and scouring maps of the other areas allowed with that tag.

I did see a few spikes to small 6 pts in the other areas. Tons of females. For someone who never hunted the open prairies that are down south, it was a great experience. I met some great land/lease owners, even better AO guys who helped me in ways i could never repay.

I totally blew a shot on a nice but not monster 6x6 and ended the season on the last day of my tag and in the last hour with a smaller but unique 5x6 with the help of a forum member. My first elk.

Go in expecting a monster, you may be disappointed, go in expecting elk to be everywhere, depending if the natives go in first, you may be disappointed. Now your also dealing with a TB outbreak and ranches that may still be quarantined although I have not heard if they were lifted.

Hit the search button, lots of threads with a ton of info.

Would I draw there again and try for another antlered Elk one day. You bet.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:13 AM

It's changed a lot over the last few years. It's more of a hunt now than before. Problem is the playing field isn't level and you'll likely come away disappointed. We have seen some absolutely stomach turning things and heard of many more...
Take it for what it's worth, and anywhere that the natives get into first understand that it's going to be worked over pretty hard.