Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Any cell phone Guru's on here?

So I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 that I have had horrible luck with.

I got it last April to replace an iPhone 5.

Within the first week I dropped it and broke the glass on the back. Strictly cosmetic but annoying none the less.

Then I started having terrible problems charging the thing, replaced numerous micro USB cables etc and could only get it to charge if you wiggled it just so and held your mouth right.

Then I broke the glass on the screen just by having it in my back pocket and getting in and out of the truck, while it was in a case no less.

It continued to work for a while until the screen turned black and no matter what you do won't work.

I have replacement insurance with a $200 deductible but I would like to retrieve the data off of it somehow, texts, contacts and pictures.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

plugging it into my computer it recognizes that it's connected but without being able to swipe the screen I can't download anything from it.

Can anyone help me out?
Old 04-03-2018, 02:53 PM

I can 'maybe' get the information off for you, I have a s7 edge and it has been the best phone I have ever had. I get the newest phone every 2 years.
I have a couple spare phones if you need 1 in the meantime as well.

I would pull the microsd card and put it in your computer, most of the information should be on the sd anyway.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Banned

I got an S7 nearly a year ago, not a hitch with it.

You'll need specific software on your computer. I believe Kies is the one you need.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/
Old 04-03-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I can 'maybe' get the information off for you, I have a s7 edge and it has been the best phone I have ever had. I get the newest phone every 2 years.
I have a couple spare phones if you need 1 in the meantime as well.

I would pull the microsd card and put it in your computer, most of the information should be on the sd anyway.
Thanks, but it doesn't have a SD card in it, just the internal storage.

I removed the SIM card and with an adapter have been using it in an iPhone 4S which is slow and glitchy, likely just due to age.

It also has problems charging, I seem to have chargine port issues with any phone I touch.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Banned

Haven't tried this personally but...

https://drfone.wondershare.com/andro...en-screen.html
Old 04-03-2018, 03:58 PM

can't really help you getting info outta there.
however a bit of advice... if you have horrible luck with the charging ports consider buying the phone with the wireless charging option.

also, shouldnt your phone be synced on regular basis with the cloud?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 PM

I have a Galaxy 7 Edge and love it. If this were me I would go to the Telus shop in town, as the guys there are awesome and if they couldn't fix it, they would be able to point me in the right direction. Try contacting Samsung directly.
Good luck.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I got an S7 nearly a year ago, not a hitch with it.

You'll need specific software on your computer. I believe Kies is the one you need.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/
I tried that Kies software, thanks for the link, but it won't do anything because you cannot acknowledge the connection due to the blank screen.

Tried the Dr Fone stuff but it says it can't connect either. Possibly due to the sketchy charging port?

Quite a pain in the rear!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:33 PM

I've got an S7 edge as well, broke the screen in my pocket also! Not so much that I notice it and haven't been concerned about it but recently I've had charging troubles. I'll be making sure I've got everything on an SD. Doesn't help you much but hopefully saving my bacon sends good karma your way.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Default I'm technologically challenged

I've heard that posting a screenshot might help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (20.5 KB, 31 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Is there something stuck in your charging port? I've had issues before and it's always been lint or canola seed in the port preventing a proper connection. Have a good look in there with a flashlight, it could just be some corrosion also.

Don't clean it out with anything conductive, I use a toothpick.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:08 PM

They moved all that stuff for me at the Rogers store when I got mine. Also, invest in a "defender" Otter Box case. It saved my phone so many times.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
They moved all that stuff for me at the Rogers store when I got mine. Also, invest in a "defender" Otter Box case. It saved my phone so many times.
Bolded-Agree. Would never have a phone without it.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Yes, check the charging port for lint! Anybody that is having trouble getting a phone to charge this is the first thing to do. I usually have to do it once a year, and it's hard to get out sometimes, if your not sure how just check YouTube. Good luck
Old 04-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebo View Post
Yes, check the charging port for lint! Anybody that is having trouble getting a phone to charge this is the first thing to do. I usually have to do it once a year, and it's hard to get out sometimes, if your not sure how just check YouTube. Good luck
Yes, I overlooked that as well, I was astonished what came out!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 PM

Would a charging pad work? my son has a Galaxy7 and he uses the wireless pad
He purchased the pad at Best Buy.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Yes I have used Otterboxes and some other styles of protective cases on my phones.

Yes I've checked the charging port many times and tried every cleaning method I could find, including taking it back to the retailer and even to a business called "The Phone Dr." No success. Probably the best luck I've had is with a toothbrush, a small amount of contact cleaner and compressed air.

My Galaxy S7 had charging port issues within a couple weeks of being brand new. I switched to the S7 because I had charging port trouble with my iPhone 5 and thought it might be specific to the lightning cable connector.

Ive taken the phone back to the dealer/ carrier (Sasktel) and they say they are unable to retrieve any data due to the black screen.

Very frustrating.