Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Default Recoil reduction tricks and tips?

OK my other thread has been derailed (was mearly trying to share and experiance not that i hate my new gun) so lets hear your tips and tricks for reducing recoil. Lets remove the obvious first off we all know pads,muzzle breaks and light loads reduce recoil.

So lets talk about some of the less obvious solutions here.
Wieght ?
Stocks?
shock absorbers?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 PM

The heavier the rifle the less recoil. My Sendaro 7mm Rem Mag has considerably less recoil than my Ruger k77 MK II in 7 mag as it has a heavy barrel and stock. That being said I still found the recoil uncomfortable as a precision shooting rig so I had a brake installed. my Ruger whacks the crap out of me but I only use it for hunting, so 6-10 rounds at the beginning of the season to make sure it's true is good enough. The Sendaro I shoot several hundred rounds a summer out of. To keep on target out to 1000m without flinching I had to go the brake route. Just my .02.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM

The proper fit of a rifle will help reduce felt recoil.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 PM

I hate brakes, so bloody loud that you cant shoot well out hunting, but my brother had a tikka 300win mag, that kicked like a mule! I drilled the stock and put a murcury reducer in the stock infront of the recoil pad, it made a big difference, didn't make it kick like a 243 or anything but you could accutully sit down at the bench and work up a load for it. Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
I hate brakes, so bloody loud that you cant shoot well out hunting, but my brother had a tikka 300win mag, that kicked like a mule! I drilled the stock and put a murcury reducer in the stock infront of the recoil pad, it made a big difference, didn't make it kick like a 243 or anything but you could accutully sit down at the bench and work up a load for it. Hope that helps.
Mercury reducer.. thats a new one for me thanx for sharing!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
ok tell us how a proper fit rifle should be what your looking for other than "feel"
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Some lessons are learned the hard way. Consider it learned and sell and buy something chambered for a cartridge that is easier and more pleasant to shoot.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse Assassin View Post
ok tell us how a proper fit rifle should be what your looking for other than "feel"
The lenght of pull can make a big differencE . If the rifle fits properly not only will it feel good ,but when it is shouldered with a properly mounted scope you should have a good field of view through your scope. Too much drop in the stock can cause it to rise up during recoil thus hitting your cheek.

Small things like this can make a big difference in felt recoil, it will actually recoil with the same amount of energy, it just wont seem to do so, thus the term felt recoil.

Ian
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 PM

Alot of you are talking about adding weight to the rifle. Add some to the shooter as well. When I first got my 243, i was 6'3 and 140 lbs, and it wasn't too much for me, but it still was uncomfortable from a bench.

Fast forward 12 years, I have added 2 inches and another 140 lbs, and my 375 Ruger and 458 win mag are no big deal. I still haven't found recoil that scares me.

So your awnser, get large to shoot large.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Some lessons are learned the hard way. Consider it learned and sell and buy something chambered for a cartridge that is easier and more pleasant to shoot.
AAAAAhhhhhhhh another stellar post by chuck thanx for those wise words i dont know what the vast numbers of alberta outdoorsmen would do withough you

now does anybody have any other CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS ABOUT RIFLES IN GENERAL?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I hear the key is Timmies Triple Triples and Construction work.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
I hear the key is Timmies Triple Triples and Construction work.
Cheeseburgers help too.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Guess I'm just lucky .. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag as well and don't find it that bad .. I took a lot of ribbing before I bought it about how bad it was going to kick and it is very manageable .. Put on a limbsaver pad and could shoot it all day , no sweat , wasn't unbearable before the pad . . I find it jumps more than kicks , shoots great groups .. can't wait for this fall .
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 PM

mine has a limbsaver and isnt unbearable just unpleasant thanx for those who
posted genuine answers.

And ill look into the cheeseburger / timmys reduction system lol
Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 PM

you can buy 1/4'' or 1/2 '' shoulder pads from bass pro or cabelas... knocks down the recoil, but definitly for target shooting only as they are a bit cumbersome if tried to use in the field.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Alot of you are talking about adding weight to the rifle. Add some to the shooter as well. When I first got my 243, i was 6'3 and 140 lbs, and it wasn't too much for me, but it still was uncomfortable from a bench.

Fast forward 12 years, I have added 2 inches and another 140 lbs, and my 375 Ruger and 458 win mag are no big deal. I still haven't found recoil that scares me.

x2 on the Extra Pounds,lol.I Fear no Firearm's Recoil.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
AAAAAhhhhhhhh another stellar post by chuck thanx for those wise words i dont know what the vast numbers of alberta outdoorsmen would do withough you

There wasn't anything wrong with that advice. My experience is the same. I got rid of a few 30 cals and magnums because I didn't enjoy shooting them. What's the sense of owning guns you don't enjoy to shoot? If you don't enjoy shooting them you probably won't shoot them. Your skills will suck. There is no big game animal in AB that will not go down from a 7mm08 or 25.06. To flinch or not to flinch...
Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
what feels good shooting off a bench does not feel good shooting off hand same for the prone position. the way I pick a rifle is throw the rifle to my shoulder plant my face to the stock and have a nice sight picture if I have to move my head to get a nice sight picture the gun stays there the other thing is I like a rifle to feel balanced when holding it in the off hand position.this is the position that I shoot from the most when hunting but none of my guns are a nice fit for me shooting off a bench.I only shoot off a bench when working up a load or sighting in. also your body is a lot more solid when shooting from a sitting position than standing. I had a 7mm rem.mag. that when working up a new load I wuold shoot off of a fence post for a rest could shoot 2 boxes of shells no problem shooting off a bench cuold only handle 5 or 6 shots and get a migraine headache. pick a rifle that feels good in the position that you usualy shoot from.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Banned

Grouse, I believe the rifle you refered to in your other thread was a .338WM. Mine was a Tikka M695 with a synthetic stock. Believe it or not, my .375 H&H M70 was easier to shoot than the .338WM. I had a gunsmith in Calgary build me one of these. Typically, they were for shotguns, but it worked like a charm on the .338WM. The only thing is that you have to be careful about scope choices. Too little eye relief will leave a mark.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Give me a better solution than the one I suggested.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 AM

I avoid light weight magnum rifles, and I prefer more weight in the barrel to reduce muzzle rise during recoil. I pick a stock that fits me well, and install a decellerator recoil pad. I tend to choose lighter weight premium bullets over heavier cup and core designs. All over this helps to make a gun more tolerable recoil wise, but in the end, you still need to choose a cartridge that you can handle.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:38 AM

1.adding weight to yourself - unless you need more muscle for other benefits this solution is probably just a joke
2.adding weight to the gun - harder to carry for a long walk
3.adding brake - very loud, not recommended without ear protection during hunting (plus people will curse you at the shooting range)
4.sissy recoil pad (which I own too ) - is ok for a shotgun in the blind (I find) but not good for fast shouldering in the field
5.reduced loads - what's the point then to shoot a magnum?
6. fit - the gun has to fit you indeed

If you already have a limbsaver on then you are almost done with improving the rifle.

Now, weather you will choose to live with the other issues or replace the caliber as Chuck is recommending (which I agree with being the smartest solution).....it's up to you.

Magnum does not equal Manhood....but few are honest enough to admit it.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM

I’m going through this myself, have a 30-06 that whacks me harder than my buddies 300WBY or another friends 7mmRUM. The problem ended up being that the stock on my rifle was a little too short for me and the scope was a little too close so I ended up unconsciously shouldering the rifle maybe half an inch off of my shoulder so it whacked me hard. That is what they mean when they say “proper fit” since my discovery I’ve found most American made rifles have a LOP that are too short for me, most are at about 13 3/8 to 13 5/8. I have to give credit to the guys over at Alberta Tactical for noticing, I’m currently out to gun shops looking for something that fits right and if not I might just have Alberta Tactical build me one. I also considered the mercury recoil reducer but be aware it ads wait to the back of your rifle so the feel of it changes completely. Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:

If you can't handle advice on a bulletin board no wonder you need help with recoil.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Give me a better solution than the one I suggested.
thats what i was asking for
Old 05-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
thats what i was asking for
Maybe when advice is given take it before you get into this mess.

The Browning is a horrid platform to mitigate recoil from and Band Aid solutions to problems are expensive lessons.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Default recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
x2 Often overlooked, but critically important, both for recoil & accuracy.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM

I think one trick often over looked is to look deep inside your person ....there you just might find a man.
Cowboy up boys

In all honesty I find that weight is the biggest direct factor to felt recoil.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM

When you tried a Sako you never go back to the noob brand. I found it pretty easy to say that any Sako in any caliber have a seriously better configuration than the other brand... i think its a big difference to choose a good brand before the caliber.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
When you tried a Sako you never go back to the noob brand. I found it pretty easy to say that any Sako in any caliber have a seriously better configuration than the other brand... i think its a big difference to choose a good brand before the caliber.
Sako is a very good brand, not the very best in my opinion, but certainly very good. On the other hand, this thread being about recoil, I find that the Finnlight is one of the models that isn't great at dealing with recoil due to the light weight, and the very muzzle light balance. Rifles with heavier barrels tend to have much less barrel rise when fired, and the stock is less likely to slap your cheek as a result.