Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 09:36 PM

Default 2015 Open Water Derby Discussion Thread

Hey guys, sorry I have been really busy and forgot last years derby started Apr 1st not May 1st like I was thinking...

I am preparing everything right now and will post the official submission thread soon.

I am making a couple minor changes so make sure you read through the rules carefully once I post them.

Because there are lots of open lakes already I will start the derby next Saturday, April 25th. I will post the tokens on Thursday so make sure you check here and print one off for the weekend.

Please remember to use this as the discussion thread as the official thread is meant for submissions only.

I hope we have a good turnout this season and want to wish good luck to all that decide to enter.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:22 PM

Official thread is up.

As mentioned tokens will be posted on Thursday and the derby starts Saturday.

Good luck.

Here is a link to the official thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=252066
Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 PM

Looks like a great competition and I look forward to "competing" this year. Thanks for setting it up again.

The fish I do catch are typically kept for consumption, so would it be alright If I take a photo and measure it as outlined in the rules. Then gut it? Or would you prefer the fish submitted to be released?
Old 04-18-2015, 12:31 AM

The derby is catch and release based, as long as your submissions show this then that is fine by me.

If you choose to gut the fish afterwards that is your decision and has nothing to do with the derby. I just want to keep the derby submissions kept clean so it doesn't raise a fuss.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 AM

Perfect, thanks for the reply.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Nice work Rav...looks great, whether or not I enter or not. In my defense if I don't, who wants to compete against the current champ? lol

I'm surprised you have Grayling on there...I didn't see Sturgeon or Bulls (probably because there's a zero province-wide limit), and I believe Grayling are the same now...if you call me on it I'll double check...lol.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post
Nice work Rav...looks great, whether or not I enter or not. In my defense if I don't, who wants to compete against the current champ? lol

I'm surprised you have Grayling on there...I didn't see Sturgeon or Bulls (probably because there's a zero province-wide limit), and I believe Grayling are the same now...if you call me on it I'll double check...lol.
You are correct.

General

A province-wide assessment of Arctic grayling indicates a need for greater protection. Reducing mortality from angling will support grayling recovery. A zero limit (catch and release) angling regulation is being implemented province-wide for 2015. Grayling conservation and recovery will also be facilitated by placing increased emphasis on habitat protection considerations in land and water management processes. More information about the status of Arctic grayling can be obtained from the department’s website (http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...yling-fsi.aspx)
Old 04-20-2015, 05:41 PM

I agree that if bulls and sturgeon are not included then grayling should also be off the table.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:42 PM

Why is quillback its own category and there is another for suckers of all species?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM

Yeah I guess I should remove grayling, they aren't a threatened species yet but with zero limit you are still supposed to return them immediately.

I can get rid of Quillback too, I only left them since if anyone is lucky enough to catch one I figured they deserved a little credit lol.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:

That's a great point! We should take them off the list. Best to get them back in the water ASAP.... or better yet keep them in it.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Banned

Thanks to Rav for running the tourney again. it must be a lot of work. Good luck everyone .
Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 AM

For noticing such a thing of great importance, if I enter the derby, can I be accredited 5 extra inches per fish? :-)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Smile

Quote:
For noticing such a thing of great importance, if I enter the derby, can I be accredited 5 extra inches per fish? :-)
Actully, for noticing and now being a contributing member to the rules of engagement for this tournament you are now banned from entering any fish into this years tourney.
Thank you for your contribution.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM

Yeah right...tell that to Rav too, good luck
Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM

Here are the derby tokens.

Fresh, pretty sure pros like you aren't allowed to enter .
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Here are the derby tokens.

Fresh, pretty sure pros like you aren't allowed to enter .
So Ravyak it will be all good if I just draw out my card to something similar to that and write my username on it? No printer.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
So Ravyak it will be all good if I just draw out my card to something similar to that and write my username on it? No printer.
Yes a handwritten token will surfice, you must know someone with a printer though lol .
Old 04-24-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
Ricky save the image in your phone then crop it and write your name on it with the photo editing app ..then stop at walmart kiosk and print one out
Old 04-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Ricky save the image in your phone then crop it and write your name on it with the photo editing app ..then stop at walmart kiosk and print one out
Yeah right lmao won't get an entry in til august that way! I'm not even gonna draw anything then IL just write on a piece of paper 2015 open water derby with my username on it then?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Yes a handwritten token will surfice, you must know someone with a printer though lol .
Yeah I'm sure IL run into a fellow AOF member with an extra card eventually. 😊
Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Haha you guys are funny. This kinda sucks for me...I've already caught 11 species this year...not sure I want to start from scratch again, especially knowing you guys only target the tanks and I only go for minnows...lol. But I'll leave it up to fate - tomorrow happens to be a weekend I'll be going out (don't have my daughter) so if I catch tomorrow I'll enter, if I get skunked I won't. How nice of it to be snowing then...lol...Mother Nature and I don't seem to get along, but hasn't stopped me yet ;-)

Can someone pm me on the ultimate portable measuring board? I like walking streams as compared to fishing the trophy lakes like others so it needs to be able to be clipped on to my fly vest or backpack...

and Ricky get one from my brother (Platinum) or if you fish with these other guys I'm sure they'll take care of you :-)
Old 04-24-2015, 10:04 AM

I'm probably one of the last guys to want to fish a stocked pond, but what does it mean in the rules about no community lakes?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:20 PM

The frabil/plano measuring board is a decent one, some walmarts sell them for cheap. Fishinhole sells a plastic board for like 4 bucks that is light and 40 inch long but would almost need a 2nd pair of hands since it is only flat and flexible. Hawg trough is lighter but longer then plano(plano longer when extended) but isn't available locally.

Can fish any public lakes, private lakes are off limits as it is not fair if you own or know someone that owns a private lake with huge fish.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:28 PM

thanks Rav...and yeah, that sounds fair, just wasn't sure on what a "community lake" was. I thought some stocked ponds in a community (ie. Beaumont, or wherever) might not be allowed for whatever reason...
Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 AM

Would this work if I was to place my phone next to the fish?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 PM

Getting your phone picture to turn out readable would probably prove difficult.

There has to be some way you can print a version off. Friend, family, library, work, walmart... Where there is a will there is a way.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 AM

Okay thanks ravyak
Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 AM

Against my better judgement I'll post for the derby to keep things interesting for the contestants...but I won't be actively pursuing each species or targetting the biggest and best like a true contestant should (ie. Rav, etc...lol).

Looks like OG beat me to the 1st post...nicely done. Viggo said he would be all over it this year, but I don't see anything yet. Maybe he went for the motherlode and ended up otherwise detained? lol
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM

Don't you worry your little heart about it - I had a good 15 inch brown but forgot to put my token on it - that's nice - unless with a witness I'd be able to use it still - OG is my witness and it is a smaller Brown the posted already to the contest.

Lets not forget if it was not for me saying you forgot your token on the first fish FreshAirGetter that you would not even have used it all day and to top it off may have even lost it as you forgot about the token in your back vest pocket lmao !!