Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxxtonn View Post
losing the fish of a lifetime becuase you had a babrless hook would also suck!!
my theory is that in alberta there are to many city boys that dont know how to take out a barbed hook, thats why it is the law, and in Bc there is to many ignorant albertans that come there so thats why it is the law there,
hahahaha, what about the rest of the country?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxxtonn View Post
losing the fish of a lifetime becuase you had a babrless hook would also suck!!
my theory is that in alberta there are to many city boys that dont know how to take out a barbed hook, thats why it is the law, and in Bc there is to many ignorant albertans that come there so thats why it is the law there,
How would you know it was because of a barbless hook though? Fish can be lost with barbed hooks too.

I know what you mean though, it would cause you to question if you could have landed it with a barbed hook.

Last edited by fishpro; 02-13-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
7: Pain caused by having to squeeze down barb
8: Time spent pinching down barbs better spent actually fishing
9: Fear trying to remember if I pinched the barbs down.
10: Feel good law that likely has little to no impact anyway.

I think the barbed/barbless issue should have been left up to the individual!
And not rammed through by Klein and made a law.
jmho
Have you ever axctually tried that "quick twist with the pliers" thing on your self ?
I have , it's not the easy.
I takes a second for me to pinch down barbs.
And yes, I believe it should be left up to the individual, that is why I was using barbless long before the law was inected.
Cat
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Have you ever axctually tried that "quick twist with the pliers" thing on your self ?
I have , it's not the easy.
I takes a second for me to pinch down barbs.
And yes, I believe it should be left up to the individual, that is why I was using barbless long before the law was inected.
Cat
Actually I have, and it is very easy. Did it hurt, of course but only briefly, but is pain the issue. Nope

Just trying to make a point. I have never been against a regulation before this one(that I can recall). There was always science behind the decisions before.

I dont see to well and am nervous about getting a ticket so I probably spend more than a few seconds on each hook. I find that irratating when it serves no real purpose is all.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Speaking from my experience, a barbless hook is way easier to remove than one with those stupid barbs on it. Seems like a no-brainer to me that is would be "easier" on the fish as well.
Gotta agree....
The 2 times I have been unfortunate enough to hook myself(before the barbless rule) myself and the attending ER physician both agreed it would have been much easier without the barbs!

Treble hooks and barbs are a nightmare!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM

So whats everyones argument as to why they like barbless?

I personally like the rule and I belive that more fish are saved in the long run by it.
Might not make the biggest difference with an educated angler but lets face it there are many youths and inexperienced anglers that fish and there are many situations to where a barbless hook is much much easier to remove than a barbed one would be. Not only the time it would take but the ripping and damage caused by a barb is much more significant with a barb.

Many of you say it doesnt take any longer or cause more damage I would like to have a two part challenge with you then. First one lets stick a treble deep in a pikes mouth with two out of three in the flesh let see who can get it out the fastest and see who causes less damage.
Second lets hook our arms just above the wrist through and through with a single octopus and see who can remove theres quicker and have less dammage and blood.

Of course you would be using barbs and I would be barbless.

Mike
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

Mike
LOL the latest university study shows you aint gonna get any takers on that one!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Actually I have, and it is very easy. Did it hurt, of course but only briefly, but is pain the issue. Nope

Just trying to make a point. I have never been against a regulation before this one(that I can recall). There was always science behind the decisions before.

I dont see to well and am nervous about getting a ticket so I probably spend more than a few seconds on each hook. I find that irratating when it serves no real purpose is all.
I don't think pain is the real issue here. Put a barbless hook into yourself and then a barbed pull each of them out and compare the damage done. They both might hurt the same but the barb definitely causes more damage. The twist and pull method might work but it definitely causes more damage to the fish appearance, and if you're trying the twist and pull from deep within the throat of the fish, it would cause more damage to the sensitive tissues then a simple barbless hook would cause.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
hahahaha, what about the rest of the country?
What is like in the rest of the country?

Alberta would not go barbless until the social pressure became to great.

I like barbs, but follow the dumb law.

Where are those guys from Newfoundland when we need them?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 AM

It's easier to shake a barbless out of a tree.....
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
What is like in the rest of the country?

Alberta would not go barbless until the social pressure became to great.

I like barbs, but follow the dumb law.

Where are those guys from Newfoundland when we need them?
Be careful what you ask for...

I used to be a Newfie.
I've been fishing barbless since my first fishing trip to the Fernie area. This was before Alberta went barbless. I followed the "barbless hooks only" law for flowing waters out there, & quickly realized it made releasing fish so much easier, and had very little effect on landing percentages (if you know what you're doing).
Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Be careful what you ask for...

I used to be a Newfie.
I've been fishing barbless since my first fishing trip to the Fernie area. This was before Alberta went barbless. I followed the "barbless hooks only" law for flowing waters out there, & quickly realized it made releasing fish so much easier, and had very little effect on landing percentages (if you know what you're doing).
I come from the old school where the studies showed the damage in terms of fish cortisol stress levels, slime loss, tissue damage, internal organ damage,
were not significant enough to warrant a barb versus barbless law. Then the super study came along, and there was a large public pressure for barbless.

I still have to find out if fishing is barbless. My two sporting clays shooting buddies from Newfoundland should be able to tell me. They are the ones who give me all the ammuntion to have fun with a couple of buys on the forum.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
So whats everyones argument as to why they like barbless?

I personally like the rule and I belive that more fish are saved in the long run by it.
Might not make the biggest difference with an educated angler but lets face it there are many youths and inexperienced anglers that fish and there are many situations to where a barbless hook is much much easier to remove than a barbed one would be. Not only the time it would take but the ripping and damage caused by a barb is much more significant with a barb.

Many of you say it doesnt take any longer or cause more damage I would like to have a two part challenge with you then. First one lets stick a treble deep in a pikes mouth with two out of three in the flesh let see who can get it out the fastest and see who causes less damage.
Second lets hook our arms just above the wrist through and through with a single octopus and see who can remove theres quicker and have less dammage and blood.

Mike
First Trebles are a whole other issue. Trebbles are hard on fish, and so is bait. Do you use bait?

Second Is the barbless issue about fishermen hooking themselves?

Studies show there is no significant difference.

You pinch the barbs and feel it makes a difference, hence feel good law.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM

So is anyone on this thread going to quit blabbering and actually cite some literature that provides tested empirical evidence supporting either side of the issue? If not, then the horse has bean officially beaten to death.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Default Cut off the barbs

I learned my lesson the hard way not cutting off all the barbs on this Firetiger.Had to have it surgically removed after i cut the hook off in my arm!I still kept fishing for 5 hours after!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3486.jpg (69.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
First Trebles are a whole other issue. Trebbles are hard on fish, and so is bait. Do you use bait?

I don't need a study, I have the history.
I've hooked myself three times in about 40 years, and once my younger brother got hooked.
I can tell you for sure that the times I got hooked wit the barbs on , they couldn't be taken our without a doctor's help.
The none time it did was when a small pikes shook it loos and buried an unbarbed hook into my thumb.
THAT ONE did come out without too much trouble by me.
Cat
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

My point was not about hooking yourself it wa the ease of removing a barbless hook vs a barbed hook more damage is cause by a barbed hook no matter if it's to the fish, fisherman or clothing for that matter!
How can you honestly feel that less or similar damage is caused by barbed hooks than barbless....... Sounds like we have a deal? What's the winner get?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 AM

Default more crap

Alberta manages the people not the resourse. Thanks Ralph.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
My point was not about hooking yourself it wa the ease of removing a barbless hook vs a barbed hook more damage is cause by a barbed hook no matter if it's to the fish, fisherman or clothing for that matter!
How can you honestly feel that less or similar damage is caused by barbed hooks than barbless....... Sounds like we have a deal? What's the winner get?
So no damage is done going in or when the fish trashes around and pulls to get away? Or now that there is no barb, penetration is deeper and can be fatal. Damage is already done.

Do you use bait or trebbles?

For those that do and wont answer that question. You are killing lots of fish.
Way more than someone using barbs. But yet it is barbless?
Feel good.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-15-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't need a study, I have the history.
I've hooked myself three times in about 40 years, and once my younger brother got hooked.
I can tell you for sure that the times I got hooked wit the barbs on , they couldn't be taken our without a doctor's help.
The none time it did was when a small pikes shook it loos and buried an unbarbed hook into my thumb.
THAT ONE did come out without too much trouble by me.
Cat

Why couldnt they?

Your right studies are useless. Klein ignored them too.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-15-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

Default Clever response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Alberta manages the people not the resourse. Thanks Ralph.
...to an issue that has nothing what-so-ever to do with a past great leader of the province and every thing to do with ethical sportsmanship.

I, and others, have fished barbless for decades; BC went barbless and I caught salmon in the Queen Charlottes, as it was called then, on barbless teaspoon spinners or single hook roe bag/slip float fishing. Big salmon. In rivers, not off shore.

Alberta soon went to barbless (too bad about not going single barbless) and nothing changed, except I had to go through my whole tackle box and mash down the barbs on the balance of my lures.

Saskatchewan demands barbless in all catch and release waters, including slot size waters like the Saskatchewan River where the Vanity Cup is held. Imagine 160 boats with some touring pros and many semi-pros (pardon the pun) catching 10-16 pound walleyes on 6 lb line and size 12 barbless hooks. I have done it myself; last September I hooked onto more than a few trophy walleyes using 6lb fluoro and a single barbless #12 octopus hook, a leech and a borrowed super light rod/reel that was rigged for a right hander. I am a lefty and had to quickly learn to go "goofy-hand" to fight the fishes. Barbless tiny hook using a technique never tried before and feeling like a rock star because I did it! No whining about small tackle and light gear or any blaming of the government of the distant past for putting me in that situation!

There's the science. An actual laboratory experiment that worked as advertised, done by a qualified technician in a controlled environment that proves hands down that barbless works. Not to mention that since my first encounter with the new rule I had to mash the barbs on one small box of lures. Now I have three big boxes and several bags full of trays. I routinely tie 100 spinner rigs/ lindy rigs per season and not one barb in the mix.

More science. The kids that fish with us do not know the difference as they have never fished with a barbed hook, and manage as well as the next kid in learning how to land fish. We also teach patience and sportsmanship.
We rarely fish with people who think they are exempt from rules and when we do, we make a few subtle changes in their attitude or we put them ashore.

Get off your whinyhorse and give it an honest try. But do not evoke the name of Ralph Klein, or anybody else for that matter, in your pathetic attempt to blame someone else for your failings.

Free (to agree with the OP)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 AM

My fishing partner is 75% blind. He gets lots of hooks stuck in himself.He likes the barbless rules he says way easyer to pull them out of himself.I've fished barbless before it was law. Don't care if I lose a couple of fish I hardly keep any.It can be the story about the big one that got away.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
You are killing lots of fish.
Way more than someone using barbs
were you fishing when barbs were allowed?

ever unhook a walleye hooked in the throat with a barbed jig? or are you one of those guys who leaves the hook in there?

Ill admit...i complained about the "stupid" barbless law when they announced it....but it took me one season to realize it didnt hurt my success one bit and the fish i released were put back in the water faster and with much less trauma than one caught deep with a barbed hook.

im not sure how anyone who does any amount of fishing can dispute that...and i dont care to acknowledge a college professors studies as any more valid that my personal experiences on the subject...im the guy with scales and gill plate cuts all over his hands....not the guy in khakis behind a desk.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
So no damage is done going in or when the fish trashes around and pulls to get away? Or now that there is no barb, penetration is deeper and can be fatal. Damage is already done.

Do you use bait or trebbles?

For those that do and wont answer that question. You are killing lots of fish.
Way more than someone using barbs. But yet it is barbless?
Feel good.
You are such a broken record.
I do not dispute the fact that barbless hooks cause damage to the fish also but the point was removing them and the damage caused then.
How do you figure that barbless penetrate deeper? Once your at the bend in the hook you cant penetrate any deeper!

I do fish with bait and trebbles rarely.
When I use bait its for walleye and perch both I keep for the frying pan anyway but I really dont find it gets fish any deeper in the mouth....as a matter of fact I cant even remember the last time I didnt have a nice lip hookset in the lips on either a perch or a walleye.

I fish barbless not to "feel good" but because I KNOW I have an easier time removing the hooks I also KNOW that the majority of the fish I release live because they spend minimal time out of the water and arnt bleeding anywhere.

Before you decide to reply (because I KNOW you will never let this go) why don't you find me a "study" that shows that fish are better off being caught with a barbed hook.

So you can "Feel Good"!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM

So the babble continues...still waiting for some peer reviewed literature....pony it up gentlemen
Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
...im the guy with scales and gill plate cuts all over his hands....not the guy in khakis behind a desk.
I like that line. Well said.

Plus....khakis are stupid.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

I suport barbless as well.

I did a experiment last summer. I fished using barbed hooks and barbless hooks. It is way easier to remove the barbless. Removing a barbed hooked involved having to hold the fish tightly and do a bit of twisting a ripping. It usually resulted in blood and tearing of flesh. Especially with the bigger hooks.

However I am somewhat for using barbed hooks when using tiny nymphs and dry flies. Like size 18 and up. That little barb is usually all that makes it possible to keep the fish on.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned

I will say one thing for a barbed hook, it keeps the hook at the first strike area of the mouth,,, I just got back into bait fishing and each inhale of the bait (Pike) merely takes a hook out and replaces it further and further back in the mouth.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

I did not read all posts because there are many but there have been many studies done on this issu and in fact in one of my course in university I did a literature review on this issue about barbless hooks and mortality.... and the results were actually inconclusive...

Fish are more likely to die from poor handling than from bared or barbless hooks...

The funny thing is barbless hooks penetrate deeper and have a tendency to "saw" into fish while it is fighting...thus oenetrating deeper into the wound dring fight... especially single barbless whe Pressure is all on sigle point...

Now with barbed treble hookonce it is stuck it stays where it is and then for releasing of course it is more difficult but if one uses pliers and does not toch fish and can remove with simple twist from lip caught fish, barbed/no narbed, treble/single makes no difference...

Conversely a gill hooked fish, barbed/no barbed makes very little difference fish is majorly injured and while released safely often becomes prey to predators or parasites...

Now where the saving grace is that barbless hooks increase chances for "hook and release" thereby improving chances of hooked fished surviving and that is hard to get conclusive evidence on as well.

To me it is more of a political game... it is a way to allow people to fish with less chance of successfully landing a fish, until they gain the necessary experience to be able to be as proficient with a barbless hook as with a barbed hook.
In the meantime the fish stocks are less depleted with increased angler effort and thus more licenses sold!...
Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
The funny thing is barbless hooks penetrate deeper and have a tendency to "saw" into fish while it is fighting...thus oenetrating deeper into the wound dring fight... especially single barbless whe Pressure is all on sigle point...
Maybe its just me but I am struggling to see how if that hook was barbed it wouldnt "saw" into the fish?