Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 04:50 PM

Default Rifle Bipod

Was going to get a Bipod for my rifle.
I would like to ask ...what happens when you set your self up for a shot on a deer and the deer walks ahead a few steps.
Does the bipod swivel on top or do you have to slide the legs around on the uneven ground.
If they do not swivel ,does anyone build a mono unit that attaches to a riffle the same way.

I have carried a few mono sticks out with me,but they are a pain , one hand holds your rifle on your shoulder the other hand carries the mono stick , then when you need to use your binocs you are screwed,just to much going on .
Old 04-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Default Bipod

im not sure who makes mine its all heavy gauge metal and it does not swivel but its made heavy enough that you can follow deer very easily with bipod out. i absoloutely love mine. I work in fort mcmurray and do alot of hunting up here where its treed, and also in southern alberta where I reside. Its come in usefull in both areas. so to answer your question i have no trouble with bipod and following a deer. hope this helps
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 PM

I use the Harris bipod with swivel and it's great. It has enough play to easily allow you to follow a moving target, maybe 10 degrees movement off centre before you have to adjust the legs.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
I use the Harris bipod with swivel and it's great. It has enough play to easily allow you to follow a moving target, maybe 10 degrees movement off centre before you have to adjust the legs.
x2.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 PM

As far as shooting rests and moving game go, I prefer cross sticks, but has shot a few when using a Harris Bi-Pod.
Cat
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM

There is enough flex/twist that you can pan left and right with the bipods. A few steps is nothing. If the deer runs say 50 yards then stops again you will have to lift the rifle normally and realign with target.

I use a harris bipod and would only recommend them.

If you do get a bipod though, get one that the legs can rotate or as haris calls it swivel, but it doesn't swivel in the sense your talking. What the swivel does is allows you to keep the rifle upright (no cant) on uneven ground.

Thing is what you need to remember, if you want the rifle to be a turret with a point near the forarm on which it can pivot, your whole body will need to swing around behind the rifle and really it's easy to move the rifle then it is your whole body, especially when your prone.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM

check out versa pod , there a nice set-up cause they are removable from your rifle when you dont need them on and can be stored in your pack.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Precisionshooter

Harris now offers an attachment to allow for lateral swivel- I.E. scoping plains left to right. Haven't tried it as the Harris bipod does have spring/flex to allow for some lateral pivot at the support.