Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Ought to be amusing now that this info is out when the law kicks in again (by spring, betcha), and catches all those barb-users off-guard.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Ought to be amusing now that this info is out when the law kicks in again (by spring, betcha), and catches all those barb-users off-guard.
That's what I was thinking.

They ain't gonna let this one disappear that easily.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Anyone know how to put barbs back on the 200-300 plugs, lures, spoons I ground off with my dremel?

I'll weld them back on for you...
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM

I have talked to fisheries biologists in Alberta and they swear (literally) that there is "no scientific data to support increased mortality when using barbed unbaited hooks compared to unbarbed"

Politically motivated. CO's sure do love to go straight to you lure and see if they can nail you with a fine..........

HEY HAVE I BEEN PUNKED!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
I'll weld them back on for you...
Lol ..... and just when you get done, the law will kick back in and I will be re-grinding them all down again ....... lol

What a silly legal system we have ........

I'm cool going barbless ............ after seeing trophypikehunter bury one of my hooks shank deep in his finger, and having the second treble pin his second finger to his first, I'm happy to stay barbless.

I'm the guy who had to gag back my own puke as I attempted to use pliers to yank the hook out ...... poor #$%^er was pale as a ghost ...........

off the stoney plains hospital we went with my giant rapala hanging off of his hand like costume jewelry ......

one great reason to stay barbless
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 AM

Long ago I dremelled off the barbs on everything in my tackle box. Not sure I'd even be interested in going barbed again if it was legal again. Pike can slam lures and bait really hard, barbless has allowed me many pike releases over the past few years that would have been terribly ugly if I had been using barbed hooks.

For whites and goldeye that like to just take it in the lip, a barb would probably increase the "fish-iced" rate, but with barbless I've actually gotten pretty good at keeping tension on the line, and have probably iced more whites than I ever did when barbs were legal.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Long ago I dremelled off the barbs on everything in my tackle box. Not sure I'd even be interested in going barbed again if it was legal again. Pike can slam lures and bait really hard, barbless has allowed me many pike releases over the past few years that would have been terribly ugly if I had been using barbed hooks.

For whites and goldeye that like to just take it in the lip, a barb would probably increase the "fish-iced" rate, but with barbless I've actually gotten pretty good at keeping tension on the line, and have probably iced more whites than I ever did when barbs were legal.
100 percent agree .........

I cannot see myself going back, not too many compelling reasons.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM

No matter what the law is barbless for me.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Barbless for me too. Much easier to release most of them right in the water=less handling of fish. Dont keep any anyhow.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
No matter what the law is barbless for me.
Any one who thinks this way is my kind of angler. My hat off to you.

Free
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Hello Sun,

Thank you for contacting the ESRD Information Centre. Yes that is true, that barbed hook legislation is no longer being enforced.

Fish and Wildlife officers have ceased charging people for using barbed hooks, and will not swear tickets issued since the change in the legislation.

Please feel free to contact if you require any more information.

Cheers,

Craig Brown
Information Officer
Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
9920-108 St.
T5K M24
Not sure if has been said but i'm going to read thru 5 pages of posts . Anyway from What I was told , that this is the case As Fisheries Canada is changing the Fisheries Act which makes Barbless law in Alberta no more . FOR NOW . But I have a feeling that as they re write the fisheries act , that all of Canada will become Barbless .

Even if its your allowed to use barbs , I wont be . Much easier to deal with a fish when your barbless . That's my Opinion anyway .
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Im down for barbless for sure. I find there are advantages for me in doing so. Ease of removal of the hook from fish and myself. But im a catch and release guy. What ever they decide im barbless all the way.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM

I'm down for barbless also.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Gone Hunting

I prefer braless. It just makes things easier.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM

If it wasn't a glitch in a law I would use both depending on if I use treble, have a slot/size limit or would have a good chance to catch something I can't keep.

Reading this thread I am surprised nobody suggested to go hookless to make people feel even better about themselves
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Who doesnt like "braless"lol
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
I will pitch in another vote for the No-Bra-Law, didn't realize it was in effect but I'm all for it, Braless sounds great and I can't wait for summer.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I fully support the braless legislation. Not only does it make catch and release easier,but the leo's are sure to be a happier bunch. That being said,I think enforcing the new braless regs are truly everyones responsibility.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I had a floater this morning...sunk after two flushes!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 PM

I will keep going barbless.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Gone Hunting

One little typo and everyone is smiling.

What a bunch of boobs.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Default barbles

I vote barbles to . When i first came to Alberta i seen a gorge hook i thought they should have been banned . Especially when you have a size limit .
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Ha you need to go to Sturgis , bras are a very important accessory for some

As for as barbs they gone ain't coming back
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Ha you need to go to Sturgis , bras are a very important accessory for some

As for as barbs they gone ain't coming back
Barbless is going to come back I have illusion about it, and I'll be sort of ****ed off if it doesn't because I took the barbs off of easily 600$'s worth of hooks and tackle... I know it seems irrational to hope the legislation comes back but if it doesn't I'll sort of feel like I did it needlessly and damaged alot of expensive lures.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like the barbless way.
If it's good enough for the folks on Wreck Beach, it's good enough for me.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Question Barbed or............

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
Barbless is going to come back I have illusion about it, and I'll be sort of ****ed off if it doesn't because I took the barbs off of easily 600$'s worth of hooks and tackle... I know it seems irrational to hope the legislation comes back but if it doesn't I'll sort of feel like I did it needlessly and damaged alot of expensive lures.
X2 It is coming back because they have already invested thousands of peso's educating the public already. I like the challenge of catching bigger fish on barbless hook. I also think that Alberta should look at changing the treble hooks to a single hook like they are doing in B.C
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
X2 It is coming back because they have already invested thousands of peso's educating the public already. I like the challenge of catching bigger fish on barbless hook. I also think that Alberta should look at changing the treble hooks to a single hook like they are doing in B.C
Thats a great reason to keep it. Also used as a reason for keeping the long gun registry. Or they could still put it in the regs as a recommendation.

and
Why stop there? What about banning bait? Small hooks, large hooks and catch and release fishing should follow as well. Probably ice fishing too, do to the harsh weather conditions the fish are subjected to.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Default Looks like the rumers are true...

I have done a quick legislative seach and could not find anything related to barbed hooks being illegal... I did another quick seach on the "wold wide web" and found a government issued statement at:

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...lessHooks.aspx

"
Barbless Hooks

Fishing

The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from ESRD and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released."

WOW! I will still go barbless but looks like the laws have inadvetantly changed...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

I'd like to propose a slot-limit for the braless legislation
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303enfield View Post
I have done a quick legislative seach and could not find anything related to barbed hooks being illegal... I did another quick seach on the "wold wide web" and found a government issued statement at:

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...lessHooks.aspx

"
Barbless Hooks

Fishing

The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from ESRD and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released."

WOW! I will still go barbless but looks like the laws have inadvetantly changed...
"The law may be stupid but it's the law" (may be slightly misquoted here)- I have no issues removing a barbed hook from the fish (unless it's a treble), nobody has any statistically significant data to prove that barbed hooks are bad for the fish, but what ever, the law is the law.
Whole lots of people from law makers to tree-huggers and anywhere in-between get this warm and fuzzy feeling about themselves - guess it's a good enough reason ...
BTW - I am still barbless just because it's not in the reg's

Last edited by ak-71; 12-28-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: ESL