Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Catch and Eat

I'm one of the old time crowd. I do not believe in catch and release. I believe that if I'm not going to eat the thing I catch I should leave it alone! But I realize that there are other types of people out there,and I'll not criticize. BUT!! Where the heck can an old man catch his fish dinner anymore in Alberta? It seems to be catch and release everywhere for most types of fish. I suppose Koi is good to eat since the Chinese are growing in numbers but ....

I like trout, pike and real fish like these
Old 08-21-2015, 02:40 PM

for food i target lake whitefish
Old 08-21-2015, 02:43 PM

go to sask
Old 08-21-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
go to sask
Good idea, but only to visit. I would still have the problem of transport? Export permits?
Old 08-21-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
for food i target lake whitefish
I love whitefish. When I was a child we would catch huge whites in Wabamun Lake. What is that like there now? Any idea?
Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM

Catch and release only at wab, try gull lake for whites; **** load in that lake.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
Catch and release only at wab, try gull lake for whites; **** load in that lake.
Thank you I will.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadii Cho View Post
Good idea, but only to visit. I would still have the problem of transport? Export permits?
as long as you have a fishing license or if you are a senior you can legally transport fish. Make sure you have them packaged for identification etc...
Old 08-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
as long as you have a fishing license or if you are a senior you can legally transport fish. Make sure you have them packaged for identification etc...
Ah Good stuff. I'm off to Saskabush...
Old 08-21-2015, 03:22 PM

Default Beginner luck 38 inch pike ,, sylvan lake,,,

Just came back to fishing after 40 plus years,, I am hooked after the July 38 inch Pike at Sylvan lake. Lots of Walleyes and a 23 inch non reg pike last evening. Gave it back,,, out for more,

QUOTE=Denadii Cho;2935725]I'm one of the old time crowd. I do not believe in catch and release. I believe that if I'm not going to eat the thing I catch I should leave it alone! But I realize that there are other types of people out there,and I'll not criticize. BUT!! Where the heck can an old man catch his fish dinner anymore in Alberta? It seems to be catch and release everywhere for most types of fish. I suppose Koi is good to eat since the Chinese are growing in numbers but ....

I like trout, pike and real fish like these [/QUOTE]
Old 08-21-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpeake View Post
Just came back to fishing after 40 plus years,, I am hooked after the July 38 inch Pike at Sylvan lake. Lots of Walleyes and a 23 inch non reg pike last evening. Gave it back,,, out for more,

QUOTE=Denadii Cho;2935725]I'm one of the old time crowd. I do not believe in catch and release. I believe that if I'm not going to eat the thing I catch I should leave it alone! But I realize that there are other types of people out there,and I'll not criticize. BUT!! Where the heck can an old man catch his fish dinner anymore in Alberta? It seems to be catch and release everywhere for most types of fish. I suppose Koi is good to eat since the Chinese are growing in numbers but ....

[/QUOTE]

I remember Sylvan lake. Where are the deep areas of this lake. Do you know?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:38 PM

Fresh wild salmon at the grocery store right now for $2.50 a fish!!!! Limit of 4 fish per customer...that's $10 to have 4 salmon...its cost me $10 just for a 24 pack of leeches....the days of going fishing in alberta to fill up the freezer and making things economically viable are over....

I keep everything I'm entitled to when I fish in Alberta because I enjoy fresh fish,however with minuscule catch limits its not economically friendly most the time when you consider bait and fuel,however I'm out there to enjoy fishing,the meat is just a bonus these days I guess.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Fresh wild salmon at the grocery store right now for $2.50 a fish!!!! Limit of 4 fish per customer...that's $10 to have 4 salmon...its cost me $10 just for a 24 pack of leeches....the days of going fishing in alberta to fill up the freezer and making things economically viable are over....

I keep everything I'm entitled to when I fish in Alberta because I enjoy fresh fish,however with minuscule catch limits its not economically friendly most the time when you consider bait and fuel,however I'm out there to enjoy fishing,the meat is just a bonus these days I guess.
I'm starting to think the same thing. Yet the rich bas----s go rape the land all the time with impunity.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:50 PM

Most stocked trout ponds are your best bet. Plus then you aren't interfering with native populations. Win win
Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Fresh wild salmon at the grocery store right now for $2.50 a fish!!!!
They must be Pinks or humpies.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:

But those are probably pink salmon right, not my favorite a little too mushy.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadii Cho View Post
I'm one of the old time crowd. I do not believe in catch and release. I believe that if I'm not going to eat the thing I catch I should leave it alone! But I realize that there are other types of people out there,and I'll not criticize. BUT!! Where the heck can an old man catch his fish dinner anymore in Alberta? It seems to be catch and release everywhere for most types of fish. I suppose Koi is good to eat since the Chinese are growing in numbers but ....

I agree, there are not many fish to catch and eat because we have to save them for the catch and release guys to play with them and kill a certain percentage of them maybe 25 to 50%.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 PM

I agree if the point is going out for food - save your gas money and all the money you will spend on tackle, gear and bait and go to the grocery store. You will further along if food is the primary goal.

Yes, it's nice to keep a fresh fish for dinner every once in a while. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are following the regulations. It's also nice to just get out in the fresh air, nature and spend a day on the water with friends and family too.

There are other options here in Alberta as well, and as mentioned above, like stocked trout ponds. There are undersubscribed walleye tags, there are some species and lakes that do allow a reasonable harvest.

We just have to realize this isn't 30 or 100 years ago and, guess what, the buffalo are all gone too .... it's time for us all to contribute to responsible management and harvest of our over pressured resource.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
We just have to realize this isn't 30 or 100 years ago and, guess what, the buffalo are all gone too .... it's time for us all to contribute to responsible management and harvest of our over pressured resource.

Couldn't have said it better, it's difficult since a lot of people love to go fishing for subsistence. At some point in the future I can see it plausible that all native trout streams as well as unstocked mesotropic lakes will be catch and release. So bonk what you can now eh...
Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
I agree, there are not many fish to catch and eat because we have to save them for the catch and release guys to play with them and kill a certain percentage of them maybe 25 to 50%.
It's not 25 or 50%. But guess what, even if it was 99.99% death rate, that's still better than the survival rate of catch and keep.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Read the regs. Lots of lakes with a keep of 1 or 2 fish out there. Walleye tags too.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 AM

Default Check the regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
Not the best advice. Wabamun is 0 harvest for all species.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Not the best advice. Wabamun is 0 harvest for all species.
I said right in my post that wabuman is catch and release only what are you talking about? And how is gull lake bad advice? You can keep 3 there and they are easy to catch there.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Default Whoops!

My bad. Sorry. Best let eyes open fully before engaging next time.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
My bad. Sorry. Best let eyes open fully before engaging next time.
No worries man, you need a morning coffee in ya.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
Sheeeesh!

With the state of our fisheries, growing population and pressure on once quiet, unknown places, catch and release is necessary .

In a very short time, there would nothing left for anyone if there were not tighter regulations. Why is this so difficult to understand for some folks?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
Sheeeesh!

With the state of our fisheries, growing population and pressure on once quiet, unknown places, catch and release is necessary .

In a very short time, there would nothing left for anyone if there were not tighter regulations. Why is this so difficult to understand for some folks?
Maybe to cut down on fish mortality they should shut down fishing all together in Alberta for a 5yr period so our fish stocks can replenish. After that we can start back up with special permits that only allow a certain amount of fishing trips per year to avoid high mortality rates of catch and release fish as well.

Many lakes in Alberta are at a point where you can't cast without hitting a walleye on the head, walleye retention is near zero, and now you are hard pressed to find a pike, probably because people have only been able to retain pike or they are having a hard time at competing for food with all the walleye.

There are 30% less anglers in Alberta today than in the 80's, what is the real reason for our fishery being in the state it's in? Or should I say perceived state?

Last edited by Kurt505; 08-22-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Maybe to cut down on fish mortality they should shut down fishing all together in Alberta for a 5yr period so our fish stocks can replenish. After that we can start back up with special permits that only allow a certain amount of fishing trips per year to avoid high mortality rates of catch and release fish as well.

Many lakes in Alberta are at a point where you can't cast without hitting a walleye on the head, walleye retention is near zero, and now you are hard pressed to find a pike, probably because people have only been able to retain pike or they are having a hard time at competing for food with all the walleye.

There are 30% less anglers in Alberta today than in the 80's, what is the real reason for our fishery being in the state it's in? Or should I say perceived state?
Hope you are joking about the 5 year thing!
How bout more time spent fishing, more seniors, better fishermen, more immigration(more meat fishermen), better tackle, boats electronics, more poaching and the internet, just to name a few.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:02 AM

I still think Alberta needs to implement better slot regulations that restricts people from keeping larger fish. This argument had been had countless times, but I still don't agree with keeping "overs" slot sizes should be under a certain length. When I go to other provinces we can keep a limit of 6 walleye per license under a certain length, so we keep a handful of 15-20" walleye, anything over 20" is released. Alberta should implement something similar IMO that protects the larger breeders.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8