Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I brought back 16 fish, the limit is 5 pike Per person and I have a family of four.
Additionally in sask. the kids have their own limit, they don't fish off of the parents limit. The lake I went to is one my family has been going to for four generations, a long time... This year I had the best fishing I've ever had in that lake so all that catch and keeping must be working
My bad, I had Walleye on the brain and you were using the singular I. My apologies.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I brought back 16 fish, the limit is 5 pike Per person and I have a family of four.
Additionally in sask. the kids have their own limit, they don't fish off of the parents limit. The lake I went to is one my family has been going to for four generations, a long time... This year I had the best fishing I've ever had in that lake so all that catch and keeping must be working
Actually cc, your thread should read ''We Brought Back'' and not I.
Implying there was/is more than one limit retained.
One has to like when a Province or State has a very liberal catch limit and allows the processing of its game fish to facilitate storage.
Tight Lines All..or shall I say Limit your catch and not catch your limit?
Rob
Old 08-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Guess we better start eating each other

Old 08-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Default Fishing

Well "i" carried the cooler and "i" put the fish in the freezer for everyone in the family. "I" will cook them and "we" will all eat them. Yum
Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Default Well.. The depth of Sylvan varies a lot,,,mi am still fish learning but down the middle can be 50feet plus,,, if you believe the boaters.

I remember Sylvan lake. Where are the deep areas of this lake. Do you know?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Possession limit in the province remains the same regardless of the provincial limits where they are harvested. Keep that in mind when crossing the border
Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
Possession limit in the province remains the same regardless of the provincial limits where they are harvested. Keep that in mind when crossing the border
Based on a discussion on a different forum, this is not true. And that information came from a natural resources officer who just retired this past spring. Fish caught in one province can legally be possessed in another province.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Based on a discussion on a different forum, this is not true. And that information came from a natural resources officer who just retired this past spring. Fish caught in one province can legally be possessed in another province.
I don't think he was disagreeing with that. He means that if a total possession limit is 2 fish for example and you bring back two fish from Saskatchewan for instance, you cannot keep anymore as the Saskatchewan count toward possession even if they are not caught here.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 PM

The same still applies. Your Saskatchewan fish are applied to your limit in Sask and Alberta fish to your Alberta limit. It's the same concept as being an Alberta resident who only fishes in Saskatchewan. You would not have to buy an Alberta fishing license in order to take fish home.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post

This is incorrect. If you caught the fish in a different province you can bring it back home. It won't count towards your possession limit in Alberta. It just has to be legally caught and legal limits where you were. Although I'd follow the provinces transportation of game fish regulations that you are entering... just in case.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 PM

So you are saying I am allowed to possess 3 pike in my freezer from Alberta and another 5 from Saskatchewan, meaning I can possess 8 total
Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 PM

That right. It would be a good idea to label the bags as to the where and when the fish was caught and retain any receipts as proof of having been in the province that the fish were caught in.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
But those are probably pink salmon right, not my favorite a little too mushy.
100x better than any muddy tasting fish you're gonna pull out of Alberta lake from July on...
Old 09-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingRainbows View Post
Are people seriously bashing catch and release on a fishing forum... Raising your kids to enjoy the outdoors and put fish back will kill some fish but if it creates a life of loving our natural world and trying to make a difference for our natural species and habitat it is worth it 100 times over. Catch and release is a way to connect with our natural world while minimizing our impact on it.
Hope this works, just joined today, but have fished for half a decade.
Just got back from South Ram C&R. Boring. Like shooting a popgun at fenced in Rhinos. Especially disgusting was watching a 18 incher float away dead after trying to revive it for a half hour. That one would have been supper. What a waste. I practice C&R 95% of the time, but only so I can come back and eat them next time, lol.

Connect with nature find another way than by torturing fish. Eating a fish validates the love and legitimacy of the sport.

Actually, if you want to C&R go ahead, but I do not find it to be nobility of it all is lost on me.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamlinguine View Post
Hope this works, just joined today, but have fished for half a decade.
Just got back from South Ram C&R. Boring. Like shooting a popgun at fenced in Rhinos. Especially disgusting was watching a 18 incher float away dead after trying to revive it for a half hour. That one would have been supper. What a waste. I practice C&R 95% of the time, but only so I can come back and eat them next time, lol.

Connect with nature find another way than by torturing fish. Eating a fish validates the love and legitimacy of the sport.

Actually, if you want to C&R go ahead, but I do not find it to be nobility of it all is lost on me.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
If Pamela Anderson (PETA) and Ted Nugent had a child, this is how I would imagine he/she would respond. Wow lol...
Old 09-02-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Catch and release = torture?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 PM

I would agree in principal that releasing a fish that has suffered potentially fatal damage in the catch is probably worse that just taking it home. However, often other fish will feed on the dead ones anyway so it's not so bad. Seriously though, nobody fishes to be kind to the fish, but those who practice C&R (like me) should be trying to do so with minimal harm. Funny how things have evolved...in the past, people would have thought you were insane for fishing with no intention of eating them. Now, we breed and stock fish so we can catch them and let them go again.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 PM

If Pamela Anderson (PETA) and Ted Nugent had a child, this is how I would imagine he/she would respond. Wow lol...[/QUOTE]

Lol, thats good. Bottom line is I have been fishing half a century and I really hate throwing away dying fish.

I encourage you all to reconnect and eat a fish!

Its time to somehow allow a fish to be kept out of these C&R streams. It would breathe some excitement into the sport. Maybe I could get my adult kids to come out again.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
If Pamela Anderson (PETA) and Ted Nugent had a child, this is how I would imagine he/she would respond. Wow lol...
I love this! Ah, speaking of Pamela.... A C&R guy in a C&R stream is like a eunuch browsing through a playboy. Whereas, for real fisherman (me), its like going to a supermodel convention, selecting Pamela Anderson and getting all kinds of special......loving.....

lmao,
Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I love this! Ah, speaking of Pamela.... A C&R guy in a C&R stream is like a eunuch browsing through a playboy. Whereas, for real fisherman (me), its like going to a supermodel convention, selecting Pamela Anderson and getting all kinds of special......loving.....

lmao,
Ha.

More like being a single guy vs. a married guy.

For a single guy, a good C&R stream or lake is like being at the playboy mansion, you're free to "hook up" with whoever you like, as many times as you like, and not be committed to any single catch.

The married guy gets to hook up once, and ONLY once in this analogy lol, and then he's done, he can only look on and dream about all the other trophies out there!

On a serious note, while I strongly disagree with your assertions about C&R fishing and torturing fish, I do get where you're coming from with being forced to release a mortally wounded fish, I REALLY don't like it either. I understand why the laws are the way the are though, because any other way would just create far too great of a "grey area" to allow for any type of efficient enforcement of retention laws.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Its time to somehow allow a fish to be kept out of these C&R streams. It would breathe some excitement into the sport. Maybe I could get my adult kids to come out again.
Give your head a shake, the only reason you can catch a fish in these streams is because they are C&R, You have put and take lakes that will meet you need to kill, they are more than satisfactory....

How is killing a fish once it's landed the exciting part of fishing....... maybe your kids don't come out because your blood lust and enjoyment in killing something concerns them.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Give your head a shake, the only reason you can catch a fish in these streams is because they are C&R, You have put and take lakes that will meet you need to kill, they are more than satisfactory....

How is killing a fish once it's landed the exciting part of fishing....... maybe your kids don't come out because your blood lust and enjoyment in killing something concerns them.
2X Also if you handle the fish correctly they have a very good survival rate, dont take them out the water, land them quickly and send them back and there should be no issues.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

Haha, bloodlust. So you are a Vegan, hmm.

If you aren't fishing for food, or the idea of doing so, you have no moral reason for being out there. Deal with it. C&Rs need to have there own little pothole lake in the city so they can practice being fisherman. Just keep torturing the same fish over and over again like you do now in C&R streams. Your hobby is competely pointless. Mine is not. Its called fishing.

Actually it was my kids who laughed at me for going to the Ram and gave me the analogy of taking a popgun to the zoo and shooting at zebras, lol.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Ha.

More like being a single guy vs. a married guy.

For a single guy, a good C&R stream or lake is like being at the playboy mansion, you're free to "hook up" with whoever you like, as many times as you like, and not be committed to any single catch.

The married guy gets to hook up once, and ONLY once in this analogy lol, and then he's done, he can only look on and dream about all the other trophies out there!

On a serious note, while I strongly disagree with your assertions about C&R fishing and torturing fish, I do get where you're coming from with being forced to release a mortally wounded fish, I REALLY don't like it either. I understand why the laws are the way the are though, because any other way would just create far too great of a "grey area" to allow for any type of efficient enforcement of retention laws.
Nice, but sorry, your girls have been with so many different partners, Im gonna have to say ahhhh....no thanks, lol.

On your serious note, for sure there would be abuse but there should be enough fish in these waters to make a minimal harvest feasible. If populations decline unacceptably, close it again.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
On your serious note, for sure there would be abuse but there should be enough fish in these waters to make a minimal harvest feasible. If populations decline unacceptably, close it again.
I'm not even sure there even should be enough fish to support a minimal harvest. No stream was ever, or will ever, be able to support continuous harvest by 10's of thousands, or even hundreds, of anglers every year. The fact of the matter is, having a harvest rate on the vast majority of AB's waters is simply not feasible, not for the C&R fisherman, and not for the catch and keep fisherman.

I don't see the point in opening a stream for a year or two and then closing it for 10 or 20 years while it *hopefully* recovers.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 09-04-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Haha, bloodlust. So you are a Vegan, hmm.

If you aren't fishing for food, or the idea of doing so, you have no moral reason for being out there. Deal with it. Your hobby is competely pointless. Mine is not. Its called fishing.
I know you believe you're standing on the moral high ground, but this is a very slippery slope you're putting yourself on. I'd be very cautious with this line of logic.

The very same arguments can very easily be used against you by those that are vegans, or who are 100% anti-hunting/anti-fishing.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by clamlinguine:
If you aren't fishing for food, or the idea of doing so, you have no moral reason for being out there. Deal with it. C&Rs need to have there own little pothole lake in the city so they can practice being fisherman. Just keep torturing the same fish over and over again like you do now in C&R streams. Your hobby is competely pointless. Mine is not. Its called fishing.

New member...wow, something smells fishy. quote of the year right here!!!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 09-04-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I know you believe you're standing on the moral high ground, but this is a very slippery slope you're putting yourself on. I'd be very cautious with this line of logic.

The very same arguments can very easily be used against you by those that are vegans, or who are 100% anti-hunting/anti-fishing.
I agree 100%. There's nothing wrong with keeping fish where it's legal and there's nothing wrong with catch and release. Let's not fight amongst ourselves and give fuel to that crowd.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:31 AM

uploadfromtaptalk1441377110910.jpg