Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default Fly-fishing Forum

I have had requests for a Fly-fishing Forum and would like your thoughts on how often it would be used and/or if there is a need for it. Will it help unclutter this main Fishing Forum like the Archery and Guns and Ammo Forum helped unclutter the Hunting Forum?

Please, I do not want to hear that we need a "this" forum or a "that" forum because anything other than a Fly-fishing Forum will NOT be considered or even responded to. So, NO to an Ice-fishing Forum etc.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:34 PM

I think that anything that helps streamline a discussion subject is a good thing unless it causes too much grief on admin side of things.

So I am all for it.

Thanks,
Leon
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM

think its a good idea, might get rid of all the problems on the fishing forum

I think it would be a good idea, although there will likely be a lot of crossover discussions. Havent flyfished myself too often, but do intend on getting into it more this season so it would help shorten the search for help and advice for sure.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post
I think that anything that helps streamline a discussion subject is a good thing unless it causes too much grief on admin side of things.

So I am all for it.

Thanks,
Leon
X2
Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 PM

Great idea
Old 04-27-2011, 05:04 PM

Great idea
Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Default Good

id use it good idea
Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 PM

A very good idea
Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM

This one with all combined moves along nicely. Splitting them up will create dead spots throughout the year when they are out of season.

Imagine if ice fishing was split into a separate group. Wouldn't be too much happening now in there now and even less in 2 or 3 weeks from now. Somebody wanting to know ice conditions today for fly fishing somewhere may not think of looking at a post in ice fishing where someone may have posted ice conditions for safety's sake. Eg.-Ghost, Spray or even Chain lakes south of Calgary. In reverse, in the fall, someone may not think of looking in fly fishing forum to see when ice started forming on a certain lake before they head out.

All in all, this one with everything combined moves nicely and I feel that people would move from one to another as the seasons change, thereby possibly missing something that they would otherwise have known.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Very good Idea I belive ! I sure would be on there a lot
Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Yep

it would keep me from shopping elsewhere.......i frequent the "other" fly fishing forums regularly, and for the most part it's just a different crowd. they even bash us AO guys......... yes, i'm all for it.

Dace
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
This one with all combined moves along nicely. Splitting them up will create dead spots throughout the year when they are out of season.

Imagine if ice fishing was split into a separate group. Wouldn't be too much happening now in there now and even less in 2 or 3 weeks from now. Somebody wanting to know ice conditions today for fly fishing somewhere may not think of looking at a post in ice fishing where someone may have posted ice conditions for safety's sake. Eg.-Ghost, Spray or even Chain lakes south of Calgary. In reverse, in the fall, someone may not think of looking in fly fishing forum to see when ice started forming on a certain lake before they head out.

All in all, this one with everything combined moves nicely and I feel that people would move from one to another as the seasons change, thereby possibly missing something that they would otherwise have known.

I have to agree with this. I also feel that by spreading it out in the long run it will mean extra time and work for the moderators.

My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM

It would be a great addition to this forum. I also think it would attract some new people from other "areas" with some valuable input.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Good idea!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 PM

I for one, would probably use a fly fishing forum the most.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Yes, I agree.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Put me in the camp that thinks the board may get spread too thin and become ineffective. If someone wants to discuss which 5 weight is best there are plenty of other boards for that. I think this board goes at a nice pace and I don't mind sorting through stuff that really does not interest me. There was a great FF board years ago (thanks Dave) but when it broke up several FF boards appeared that are in my opinion too specialized. I am an outdoorsman first even though I have been obsessed with flyfishing for some time. Take it from a long time flyfisherman when I say most flyfisherman are pretty annoying. Lets be outdoorsman first.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me, this board gets quite busy so it would be a good thing to have.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Put me in the camp that thinks the board may get spread too thin and become ineffective. If someone wants to discuss which 5 weight is best there are plenty of other boards for that. I think this board goes at a nice pace and I don't mind sorting through stuff that really does not interest me. There was a great FF board years ago (thanks Dave) but when it broke up several FF boards appeared that are in my opinion too specialized. I am an outdoorsman first even though I have been obsessed with flyfishing for some time. Take it from a long time flyfisherman when I say most flyfisherman are pretty annoying. Lets be outdoorsman first.
X2!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 PM

I think it's a great idea!!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 PM

I would have to go with a single fishing forum. I fish just about every form of fishing, except spear fishing. If we are to separate fly fishing, then how about ocean fishing, trolling in the deep lakes and ice fishing?

I feel that despite the different forms of fishing that people do, we have knowledge that can help one another.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 PM

101% all the way
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM

sounds good to me.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 PM

excellent idea.. AB outdoorsman on Tapatalk for the Iphone would be sweet too
(forum app)
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM

I agree. This is a great idea. I'm new to fly fishing and would definitely use it. Also, I'm thinking about hitting the Morinville pond tomorrow and was wondering what fly a guy should.... I'll just wait till the other forum opens up?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Yup, I'd use it.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post

So I am all for it.

Thanks,
Leon
+3

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Would this extra forum generate extra revenue for AO?

If you think it does, go for it.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post

I'm kinda on this trolley. I like things as they are

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread