Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Lots of forum members seem to like to fly fish and I like to fly fish every once in a while, so i'm all for the fly fishing section idea.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 PM

I don't think it is necessary. This forum has bout the same number of threads as either the general or the hunting forums but only half the posts.

My interests vary enough that I follow all interesting threads in this forum and ignore the ones that aren't of interest too me. I enjoy all types of fishing - but I prefer fly fishing.

I think that a lot of people (fly fishers) will be happy initially but disappointed when after a couple of months, every time they log on there are no new messages except "where is everyone" or "hasn't anyone been out lately"

The only time I find there to be too many posts for a quick glance is when I have been away for several days. Otherwise I don't think it is overwhelming.

My vote - leave it like it is

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
I think that a lot of people (fly fishers) will be happy initially but disappointed when after a couple of months, every time they log on there are no new messages except "where is everyone" or "hasn't anyone been out lately"
I think that there's enough fly fishermen/women on this forum to keep it busy and going fairly steady during the fishing season, and during the off season/winter it could be a good place to share fly patterns and whatnot. I think it's a good idea.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM

it will attract many fly fishers who are not members as of yet. should be good
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 PM

Default fly fishing forum

That would be great!!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 PM

If we have a fly fishing sub category, then we should have an icefishing one too, and then we will need one for electronics...etc... Keep it how it is, the info is great, easy to find already, and stuff doesn't dissappear that fast anyways. I don't think more sub categories will make the exchange of information better or de clutter things here. I find myself looking at more topics more often because of the diversity up on here.

Chris K
Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 PM

i didnt know the fishing forum had an issue. I like it the way it is.. but if it works...give'r
Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Nope.....fishin is fishin no matter how you do it.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM

I do all types of fishing, fly, casting, spinning, trolling and ice. I like talking to all the people that do it all. I like it how it is. But thats just my opinion. If it makes admin easier then go for it, I can go between the 2 just as easy.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM

If it ain't broke.....

So now i guy asks about a good flat bottom boat to fish out of,where does it go?
What about knot tying or questions about nets?where do you post it?
Leave it be, fishing is fishing.Its all on one page.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

reading the threads as is i dont see a whopping amount of flyfishing talk. one of the things i hate most when i visit other forums is how many categories there are, and how little some of them get used. i vote to keep the status quo.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned

Leave it the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Next thing you know, the 'masters' will demand to be on a different page than the 'week-end warriors' and the 'intermediates' guys will call the 'moderates' trolls and guys like me will have no place to go.
Besides. Them sneaky (wooley) buggers might get SRD to change the rules and us poor bait chuckers won't get any input. Anyone remember Beedhead?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

Default great idea!

I think it's a great idea and will save me from sifting through all the topics that I have no interest in,and keep the FF topics from getting buried so far back in the archives.I FF only,and have little to no interest in 95% of the other topics posted on the fishing forum.Also,I firmly disagree with the "dead spots" theory or that a new FF sub-forum wouldn't be used in winter.I'm a member of several other FF forums and winter is in fact one of the busiest times of year for site hits and new content when we are all going shack-wacky,tying flies,hosting fly swaps etc. Unlike "ice-fishers" that get excited for a few short months each year,flyfishing and tying is a year round obsession for many avid flyfishermen,and winter is a great time to put together all that fur and feathers collected during the fall.

I vote hell yeah and predict it will be a busy sub-forum year round.In fact,it will promote even more FF discussion and posting having it all under one roof rather than having to search pages of archives every time somebody wants to find a ff topic,and next winter hopefully we won't have to suffer the weekly "what's the best 5wt/newbie flyfisher needs advice" topics.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Default Yes/No

I agree with some of the others. Flyfishing thread is ok but the we need an ice fishing, electronics, camping, etc. etc. sections. Those are nice but as someone above said in the off seasons those areas of the board are dead. A couple other boards I go to occasionally it is not even worth checking certain times of year as there is no action what so ever. If categories are going to happen maybe look at really breaking it up otherwise leave it as is.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 AM

AO has a fishing section??!!

J/K

I think it's a good idea. I find myself skimming through the fishing section to find fly fishing specific threads. It's no different than Archery getting its own forum distinctive from Hunting. It's part of the family, but more specific and garners enough attention to handle a spot.

I would make it a sub forum within the fishing section though.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 AM

I like being able to see everything about fishing under 1 heading. That way I don't miss anything & don't have to jump around. It's great the way it is.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Default FF Forum - a great idea

I think that a fly-fishing section is a great idea! I participate in other site forums that are basically for flyfishing...I go there because there is not a FF section on this forum. I disagree that it would not be used in the "off season"- a lot of fly fishermen tie their own flies and it would be great to share fly patterns and ideas at any time of the year. I would be 100% for it!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Hunters use a gun, bow or trap and often stick to 1 or 2 of these techniques. These can be diversified.

There are too many ways to fish, too many differents types of bodies of water and fishing is seasonal (i.e. limited to ice fishing in the winter vs flyfishing). Most forum members I know fish many different ways as I do.

I would rather read about trolling for lakers, flyfishing for bows and jigging for eyes on the same page. I'd rather not have to jump between sections to view or comment on any type of fishing. Keep it simple. It's perfect as is.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Smile Great idea!

This is exactly what you should do.

I hope that some of the suppliers/guides/destinations will advertise here. Especially ones in Alberta!

Some of the members (not me) are experts in many aspects of flyfishing it will be great and well read.

How about some of their flies for Bonefish to get started?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM

I think that it might be a good idea but then it might only get used seasonally, and do you really want to police yet another forum.
I don't really care, I wade through the thread tiles reading only the ones that I might find interesting.
Best of luck on your decession.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Make it happen!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Looks to me like a duplication of services. The Alberta fly fishing forum seems to do a great job.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM

The "other" forum, as the name implies, is a Calgary forum. Nothing wrong with that if you fish the Bow and to a lesser extent the Crowsnest and Bullshead.
But the rest of the province remains pretty well a black hole.
It's also run like a Nannie State with moderators jacking you up for a fish pic you posted, guys getting on your case for mentioning a little known creek or some innocent rook asking newbie questions about where's a good place to fish.
In other words, it sure could do with some serious competition.
After the Flyfishermen forum went goofy and Jensen shut his board down the ffers pretty well drifted over there. There's no reason why they wouldn't drift again.
Go for it, Rob.
If the traffic isn't there you can always kill it and put it down to a good idea that didn't work.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:45 AM

I don't like the idea. I think there is a lot of really valid conversation that would get lost in one forum or the other.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Default my 2 cents

I think the forum should stay how it is now for a few reasons:

1) I use the forum mostly to find out which lakes are hot and how the access to a certain lake is (boat launch, snow removed etc.) Which I feel is information ALL people who fish can have input on

2)People who flyfish and spincast can share alot of information on the same subjects. (knots, Lake conditions, Regulation clarification etc.)

3)I personally have never flyfished but I do enjoy the photos of nice trout posted by the people who do

I think It should remain as is. The board moves along smoothly and is easy to use.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Default Not so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
The "other" forum, as the name implies, is a Calgary forum. Nothing wrong with that if you fish the Bow and to a lesser extent the Crowsnest and Bullshead.
But the rest of the province remains pretty well a black hole.
It's also run like a Nannie State with moderators jacking you up for a fish pic you posted, guys getting on your case for mentioning a little known creek or some innocent rook asking newbie questions about where's a good place to fish.
Yea - not like it is here eh?

If you think the only FF board is from the Calgary area then you haven't been looking - two of the best originate in Edmonton or were you looking for something from Fort Mac?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Gone Fishing

I really like fly fishing and it is my first choice for any kind of fishing. I would head to that forum first and then peruse the hard tackle forum afterward (if there were 2 forums). Either way it still would come down to your decision and I would still remain a loyal reader of this site.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
This one with all combined moves along nicely. Splitting them up will create dead spots throughout the year when they are out of season.

Imagine if ice fishing was split into a separate group. Wouldn't be too much happening now in there now and even less in 2 or 3 weeks from now. Somebody wanting to know ice conditions today for fly fishing somewhere may not think of looking at a post in ice fishing where someone may have posted ice conditions for safety's sake. Eg.-Ghost, Spray or even Chain lakes south of Calgary. In reverse, in the fall, someone may not think of looking in fly fishing forum to see when ice started forming on a certain lake before they head out.

All in all, this one with everything combined moves nicely and I feel that people would move from one to another as the seasons change, thereby possibly missing something that they would otherwise have known.
I agree. Sometimes more forums simply separate us into smaller groups. If the goal is to teach and grow the interest, then I think it is better done as is. A member will maybe read a 'fly fishing' post and get his interest sparked while browsing this forum. Split it off and he likely won't.

I have some interest in archery, but since splitting it off, I seldom red the posts there.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM

yes
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 AM

I do all types of fishing, fly, casting, spinning, trolling and ice. I like talking to all the people that do it all. I like it how it is. But thats just my opinion. If it makes admin easier then go for it, I can go between the 2 just as easy.

X2