Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Different people, different expectations, different experiences.

My experience with BP is that, yeah, I've run into some younger, inexperienced staff. I don't get bent out of shape about it. They have been friendly and tried to help and it's turned out OK. Actually, the best service I got there was in the fly shop. Older gent really helped out, even leading me around to other parts of the fishing section to help me find things. Very friendly and helpful.

My problem with BP has more to do with the Corporation. No Canadian catalogue in paper or online. If you want to check price, availability, or even whether the item is carried in Canada you have to phone them. PITA. Come on! If Cabela's can produce a Canadian priced website so can you. Make the investment.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Carrying pliers while fishing isnt something I did unless we were out for MUSKY
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM

I don't think it's a coincidence that the quality of service is increasing as the size of the store decreases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
I shop at BPS, WSS and The Fishing Hole all frequently. In general I have found the service at BPS less then adequate, however as many have mentioned it varies greatly depending on who helps you, WSS sports just barley adequate but getting better over the last year, and The Fishing Hole always has great service regardless of employee or number of customers in the store.

The value of the items I purchase from each store reflects the service I receive.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM

I like to be left alone when tackle shopping, I rather not have someone ask me if im doing okay every 10 minutes. If i say im doing fine and am just looking at everything.....that stands till i ask for help.
unless im at Hooters...she can bug me all she wants
Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I like to be left alone when tackle shopping, I rather not have someone ask me if im doing okay every 10 minutes. If i say im doing fine and am just looking at everything.....that stands till i ask for help.
lol
Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
X2!!!!!!!

A quick "Can I help you" is all I'm looking for. After that, go away, I'll find you if I have a specific question. The last thing I want is a clerk hanging around asking me questions, or worse yet, telling me what I need based on all of his "knowledge".
Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
OP

Why not pay our forum sponor www.ickyflyworks.ca a online visit.
It was a short notice fishing trip or rather no notice i was lucky to even have a rod in my car lol which is why i had no pliers or i wouldnt even have asked for the pinching to that other poster up there service shouldnt depend on store size you should do what you can to make people want to come back its simple. Have you ever hear the story about the dissatisfoed customer who told 3 of his friends and they each told 3 of theirs and they each told 3 of theirs.................... i totaly forgot bout this thread heh
Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonass View Post
Howdy yall hows it going , i am the associate that this liar talked to, he is completly full of it. First off the young girl that i was helping (not making fun of) was buying about $300 worth of feathers for a home based jewerly buissness she has, why would i insult a customer that was buying a basket full of hackle, peacock feathers and such. Then the so called customer "alodar" who claims was waiting for service, if he means that looking through the flies as waiting , yea no , came up to me and asked to pay for the two flies he had picked out for fishing the bow river that weekend total cost of like $4.26 and i quote said hey can you pinch my barbs (did not say please) just demanded that i pinch them for him. I asked him why he could not do it himself (cause all real fishermen have pliers with them for fishing) , all he said was that he did not have any pliers with him because he was from edmonton (some excusse eh) so i told hinm that we sell pliers and barb crushers, he didnt want any so i told him NO because it is not our job to pinch barbs, if he said please that would have been a different story but no , he just assumed that its my job to bend over backwards for a rude customer, back to the blog he got mad at me cause i would not pinch the barbs so he stormed out of the shop didnt take his recipt i asked him if he wanted it and he told me off walked out and complained to the first associate that he saw, thinking that just any associate was a manager. We help the people that we can but if you are rude dont bother coming in and please dont lie just because you left your pliers at home or are just to lazy to do it yourself.

Thanks yall for listening, "claytonass"
Thats hillarious i like your hollywood version of what happened. Exactly what did i say when i "told you off" haha actually after a second thought i dont care im not the only person who thinks you have inadequate service so you can tell people whatever you want im sure your future as a retail sales associate will come to an abrupt end sometime soon good luck with your future.

Last edited by alodar; 05-05-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
It was a short notice fishing trip or rather no notice i was lucky to even have a rod in my car lol which is why i had no pliers or i wouldnt even have asked for the pinching
Really there are fishermen out there who dont carry their equipment in their vehicles 24/7?
H3ll i carry hooks in my wallet/purse, coat pockets and even trunk.
One never knows when one might need to stop an cast a line.

I wouldnt expect a store, any store for that matter to pinch my barbs for me.
But then again that is me.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Really there are fishermen out there who dont carry their equipment in their vehicles 24/7?

I wouldnt expect a store, any store for that matter to pinch my barbs for me.
But then again that is me.
Yeah i guess im the only one heh ive since put 2 pairs in my glove box so i dont have that issue again
Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM

I have had my own negative experiences with BPS. Since the issue detailed in this thread http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=79890 I have been in there to buy three big ticket items that they have advertised on their shelves and displays, but they do not have the stock to sell me.

Many, not all, of the sales people at BPS are not helpful and rude.

I have made it a point that I will not give them my business, and it can continue to run as an amusement park with a big gift shop.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
agreed. i think the key word here is "fisherman" to me you're either in or your out. go hard or go home. i don't mean this to sound at all negative, but not having gear at hand in your vehicle doesn't make any sense to me. smokers carry a lighter everywhere right? you're useless without your gear.

Dace
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
agreed. i think the key word here is "fisherman" to me you're either in or your out. go hard or go home. i don't mean this to sound at all negative, but not having gear at hand in your vehicle doesn't make any sense to me. smokers carry a lighter everywhere right? you're useless without your gear.

Dace
i keep my tackle with my car 24/7
Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Exclamation Lol funny guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Thats hillarious i like your hollywood version of what happened. Exactly what did i say when i "told you off" haha actually after a second thought i dont care im not the only person who thinks you have inadequate service so you can tell people whatever you want im sure your future as a retail sales associate will come to an abrupt end sometime soon good luck with your future.
Hey dude i have been at this store for over two years in the fishing dept , your not the first cranky customer that i have had, but you have been the only guy in the two years that we have been open that asked to have barbs pinched, Grow up. Your the kind of guy that gives all the rest of the people bad thoughts, a grown up will not listen to your whining and will make up their own minds lol. I cant say exactly what you said to me when you told me off cause i dont want to get kicked off this forum but you said " Go F yourself " (hope thats not to rude for the rest of the readers my apologises) and your right i am not going to be in retail anymore i am quitting at the end of may cause i cant put up with any whiney customers anymore (2% are whiney like you ) plus the pay sucks, go work in retail for two years then tell me if you would pinch barbs for a grouchy customer.

Quote " you have to look for the best in life "

P.S. stay in Edmonton we southerners dont take kindly to your type down here lol

Last edited by claytonass; 05-17-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: not complete
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey dude i have been at this store for over two years in the fishing dept , your not the first cranky customer that i have had, but you have been the only guy in the two years that we have been open that asked to have barbs pinched, Grow up. Your the kind of guy that gives all the rest of the people bad thoughts, a grown up will not listen to your whining and will make up their own minds lol, and your right i am not going to be in retail anymore i am quitting at the end of may cause i cant put up with any whiney customers (2% are whiney like you ) anymore go work in retail for two years then tell me if you would pinch barbs for a grouchy customer.

P.S. stay in Edmonton we southerners dont take kindly to your type down here lol
Uhm, uh,,,, some of us capital "S" Southerners are more than ok with Edmontonians. Now if only our hockey teams could learn to play good hockey again at get that rivalry going again.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hey dude i have been at this store for over two years in the fishing dept , your not the first cranky customer that i have had, but you have been the only guy in the two years that we have been open that asked to have barbs pinched, Grow up. Your the kind of guy that gives all the rest of the people bad thoughts, a grown up will not listen to your whining and will make up their own minds lol, and your right i am not going to be in retail anymore i am quitting at the end of may cause i cant put up with any whiney customers (2% are whiney like you ) anymore go work in retail for two years then tell me if you would pinch barbs for a grouchy customer.

"not the first cranky customer that I have had"
"Grow up"
"Your the kind of guy that gives all the rest of the people bad thoughts"
"a grown up will not listen to your whining"
"i cant put up with any whiney customers (2% are whiney like you )"
"stay in Edmonton we southerners dont take kindly to your type down here"

Do you really expect anybody to give any credibility to your version of events as you have tried to explain them?

Did you give any consideration as to how many people you would be insulting by putting up your comments.

With your remarks above, I can safely say that you and I agree your point of you not having any future in retail. You may want to expand that to include dealing with public in general.

That's the way I see it.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
.................................................. .................

I guess on your behalf, I should also apologize to anybody that lives north of Calgary.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Hey dude i have been at this store for over two years in the fishing dept , your not the first cranky customer that i have had, but you have been the only guy in the two years that we have been open that asked to have barbs pinched, Grow up:
is it wrong to request the barbs to be pinched? Just curious, I'm new into fishing and I wonder if this is normal service.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM

the thread that just wont die...lol

a- is it right to post a thread over 1 bad experience?
b- is it right to black ball a store over not pinching your barbs?
can i ask the butcher at Sobeys to bar-b-q my steak before i leave.?
c- how many people will not go there because of this thread?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Would it have been a big deal to just pinch the 2 barbs for a customer???

I would be pi$$ed too if I asked a guy to pinch 2 barbs and was told to go buy some pliers that are for sale in the store. It's not like the customer asked him to tie some flies for him. A customer is a customer regardless of how much they spend. For all you know,this customer may have been on his way downstairs to drop $15K on a new boat or quad.

I really do not doubt that some people get fantastic service at BPS, but there are enough instances of people having bad experiences that it is getting a poor reputation.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM

I was actually going to bar b que tonight, but since sobeys wont do it for me i guess ill go without dinner.
Thanks for the heads up chub..
Old 05-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
I was actually going to bar b que tonight, but since sobeys wont do it for me i guess ill go without dinner.
Thanks for the heads up chub..
lol...notice all my statements were questions.....im not taking sides

heres what i would of done
1- bought the pliers
2- if they only had crappy pliers i would of used them to pinch my barbs, kinda like a test run and put them back.....lol
3- if the above failed i would of asked a service clerk..' excuse me but im from out of town and forgot my pliers, im buying these 2 hooks to fish the Bow can i please borrow a pair of pliers to pinch the barbs thank you.

im almost certain 1 of the above would of worked.

I think we all expect a certain amount of service .....heres a question.....does anyone complain that superstore doesnt give the same service as the Calgary co-op......i doubt it because we know they have 2 different polices. You can scream at the top of your lungs at the superstore and unless your handicapped they Wont bag your groceries and wheel it to your car and load it.

When you park at a tackle store...look at the signage on the building....do a mental check and do not expect anymore than that store will do for you.

Its not a mystery where i spend my fishing cash......ive witnessed many times a young fellow who works there carry customer items to their car....i asked once and he told me ......never mind what he said, i carried my own bag out lol.
would i expect to see that service at Bass....nah. Not because they dont care...its just the way it is.

NOW my recomendations for improving B-Pro because i go there and enjoy walking around....i even buy such things as Owner hooks there.

1- if your going to build a store as big as a mall....put in some rest areas like a Mall with comfy chairs for us old guys to rest
2- give away free popcorn or peanuts so i can munch and shop

Thats all......
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Dude read

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Uhm, uh,,,, some of us capital "S" Southerners are more than ok with Edmontonians. Now if only our hockey teams could learn to play good hockey again at get that rivalry going again.
hey man i was refering to aldor not all edmontonians i have lots of friends in edmonton lol
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Why do you care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
"not the first cranky customer that I have had"
"Grow up"
"Your the kind of guy that gives all the rest of the people bad thoughts"
"a grown up will not listen to your whining"
"i cant put up with any whiney customers (2% are whiney like you )"
"stay in Edmonton we southerners dont take kindly to your type down here"

Do you really expect anybody to give any credibility to your version of events as you have tried to explain them?

Did you give any consideration as to how many people you would be insulting by putting up your comments.

With your remarks above, I can safely say that you and I agree your point of you not having any future in retail. You may want to expand that to include dealing with public in general.

That's the way I see it.
Dont see why you care, i am having an argument with this aldor guy, this all started by aldor going online to whine about service, is there a canadian tire forum that you go on to complain about the service, for instance you bought a car battery and the assoicate did not install it for you? come on guy, P.S. i am extremly friendly towards people always holding doors and saying hello, give everybody the benifit of the doubt, when was the last time you asked somebody to "please" help you at a store, has common decency died lately lol, as i say if aldor had said please it would have been all good but no please mean i dont pinch his barbs. my side of the story, you dont have to like it. Have a Gooder
Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 PM

Chit happens. Shake it off, both of you and go fishin'. It's more fun.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Default would you say please

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Would it have been a big deal to just pinch the 2 barbs for a customer???

I would be pi$$ed too if I asked a guy to pinch 2 barbs and was told to go buy some pliers that are for sale in the store. It's not like the customer asked him to tie some flies for him. A customer is a customer regardless of how much they spend. For all you know,this customer may have been on his way downstairs to drop $15K on a new boat or quad.

I really do not doubt that some people get fantastic service at BPS, but there are enough instances of people having bad experiences that it is getting a poor reputation.
Hey dude question would you have said Please when asking for your barbs to be pinched plus its not my job at the store to pinch peoples barbs for them, i provide customer service when you come to a sporting store do you expect people to do anything to please you, no , you come in to talk and maybe learn something i dont know all but i will help you to the best of my knowldge. plus do you go fishing in a catch and release river with out pliers seriously, what if the fish swallows the hook, do you just break your line and say that it might live and who cares ?? . If you get bad service at a walmart do you go online and complain, no you expect walmart to have bad service and you deal with it.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Chit happens. Shake it off, both of you and go fishin'. It's more fun.
what about my popcorn!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Next time your in

Quote:
Hey bud next time your in come grab me from the shop and i will get you a free bag of popcorn
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Hey bud next time your in come grab me from the shop and i will get you a free bag of popcorn

thats good service....thanks.
in between bites im gonna suggest what other owner hooks you need to stock..lol
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Do I look like I have a chef hat on? You didn't say please. Go down to the movie theater at the other end of the mall and then come back and park your butt in a boat or camping chair in the camping department. While your sitting there have a look at the boat or chair and then maybe you will buy it.