Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 PM

Default Brake Question

I admit I’m no mechanic. The wife had her Mazda CX-9 in the shop on Friday and had the rear brakes and rotors replaced. Drove around all weekend for maybe 200km. Headed up to GP on Monday and almost made it to Mayerthorpe (about 400km from home) when we heard a loud bang come from the back end. Pulled over and could hear grinding on the back drivers side.

Drove it to the tire shop in Mayerthorpe (shout out to Integra Tires). The mechanic pulled the rotors. Said these pieces were in there (attached pics), the rotor has a chunk out of it (probably the loud bang we heard) and there was no parking brake shoe. The mechanic said the pieces are from the parking brake.

The question I have is, would the tire shop have taken off the parking brake shoe and not replaced it? If he didn’t take it off, would he have informed us there was no parking brake shoe when he replaced the rotors?

All I know is I had a shoe on Friday (we bought the car used but it had to get a SK inspection and a requirement is the parking brake works) and Monday afternoon I didn’t.

Since I’m no brake expert I just don’t want to sound stupid when I call the shop and accuse them of messing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 11:48 PM

The part with the chunk out of it is the drum for the drum/shoe park brake assembly. The pieces in the bottom are a part of the slack adjuster and other shrapnel. They may not have properly attached the pin/shoe hold down springs with the hold down spring cups and the shoe assembly could have came away from the backing plate. By the looks of the scoring, pieces had been tumbling inside and the shoes rubbing on the inside of the hub. Or something else came loose and was caught rubbing between the shoes and the hub.

I'm not a mechanic either but have replaced quite a few different brake assemblies on a variety of vehicles. Somebody else with more experience like Randy Bo Bandy will likely have a better idea.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:12 AM
Banned

I’m not a mechanic but I do my own brakes. The park brake shoes go inside the drum and imo when they took off the rotor and put it back on it caused some sort of damage that caused a catastrophic failure. I definitely wouldn’t consider it a coincidence.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:38 AM

Mechanic here... I would say if the rear brakes and rotors were just done, then someone forgot the park brake shoe. The gouge on the interior looks to be from parts that would hold the shoe against the inside of the rotor. I am not familiar with Mazda setups, but this looks to be the case. I would take it back to the shop where the brakes were done and ask them to repair it correctly. Also now I would assume that the lever that connects the cable to park brake shoe may have some damage. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:18 AM

Did you check the other side ? Looks like there's more missing here than the shoes, the adjustor is normally held in by the shoes, bit of a puzzler.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 11-26-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Did you check the other side ? Looks like there's more missing here than the shoes, the adjustor is normally held in by the shoes, bit of a puzzler.

Grizz
Hard to tell from the photo, but I'm pretty sure it is a rotor, not a drum setup.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowan View Post
Hard to tell from the photo, but I'm pretty sure it is a rotor, not a drum setup.
The brakes are disc brakes but the parking(emergency) brakes are drum brakes . This is a drum/rotor combination .
Old 11-26-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
Mechanic here... I would say if the rear brakes and rotors were just done, then someone forgot the park brake shoe. The gouge on the interior looks to be from parts that would hold the shoe against the inside of the rotor. I am not familiar with Mazda setups, but this looks to be the case. I would take it back to the shop where the brakes were done and ask them to repair it correctly. Also now I would assume that the lever that connects the cable to park brake shoe may have some damage. Good luck.
So basically it is the shops fault and the cost to fix whatever is wrong should be on them? Like, I said earlier, I assume I had a parking brake shoe when I dropped it off on Friday. When the mechanic looked at it on Monday in Mayerthorpe I didn’t have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The shop in Mayerthorpe got us in with zero notice and that side was the only one making noise. I’ll get the shop that did the work to double check all their work.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
So basically it is the shops fault and the cost to fix whatever is wrong should be on them? Like, I said earlier, I assume I had a parking brake shoe when I dropped it off on Friday. When the mechanic looked at it on Monday in Mayerthorpe I didn’t have one.

The shop in Mayerthorpe got us in with zero notice and that side was the only one making noise. I’ll get the shop that did the work to double check all their work.

I didn't ask, but if the parts in the photo were the only ones remaining, yes I feel the blame would be with the original shop. If there were more leftover parts than in the picture, it could have been a part failure or assembly error. They also may not have adjusted the park brake/not had the tension spring connected properly causing the adjuster to fall out the bottom of the assembly and tumble inside the drum. Come to think of it, the adjuster is the only part that is likely durable enough to break a piece out of the drum.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I didn't ask, but if the parts in the photo were the only ones remaining, yes I feel the blame would be with the original shop. If there were more leftover parts than in the picture, it could have been a part failure or assembly error. They also may not have adjusted the park brake/not had the tension spring connected properly causing the adjuster to fall out the bottom of the assembly and tumble inside the drum. Come to think of it, the adjuster is the only part that is likely durable enough to break a piece out of the drum.
Those were the only parts left. And there is was no shoe. Having no knowledge of brakes I asked the mechanic if it could’ve fallen out and he said it would have no where to go. He said it was never there but didn’t want to throw another mechanic under the bus and accuse them of doing bed work.

When we were driving we heard a small “ting” then a louder “bang”. Pulled over and you could hear a grinding noise from the rear drivers side when I drove forward and backed up. Made the decision to keep driving the 10mi to Mayerthorpe. Heard one more loud “bang” and then the wife said it sounded like there was gravel rolling around in the tire. I’m hard of hearing so I couldn’t hear a thing other than the bangs. The mechanic figured the bangs were the parts binding and then letting loose which caused the drum damage.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:41 AM

This is pretty simple, they did your rear brakes. Had there been something wrong with the park brake system they should have told you about it and fixed it at the same time. A proper shop would not let a car out of the service bay with a defective braking system. There is no doubt the shop screwed this up. They are on the hook for the cost of the Mayerthorpe fix and any other repairs still needed. No matter what excuse they try to use, stick to your guns.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:47 AM

What Dean said. Absolutely don't let them try and BS you and charge you for further repairs.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-26-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is pretty simple, they did your rear brakes. Had there been something wrong with the park brake system they should have told you about it and fixed it at the same time. A proper shop would not let a car out of the service bay with a defective braking system. There is no doubt the shop screwed this up. They are on the hook for the cost of the Mayerthorpe fix and any other repairs still needed. No matter what excuse they try to use, stick to your guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
What Dean said. Absolutely don't let them try and BS you and charge you for further repairs.
That’s my feelings too. The wife talked to them yesterday and they asked what she wanted done. She said it worked when we took it to you guys so we want it fixed. They gave a little attitude but they have treated us fairly in the past. They didn’t say they would pay for it but I assume they will.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
That’s my feelings too. The wife talked to them yesterday and they asked what she wanted done. She said it worked when we took it to you guys so we want it fixed. They gave a little attitude but they have treated us fairly in the past. They didn’t say they would pay for it but I assume they will.

Settle who pays up front. They may have treated you fair in the past but the fact they are already giving your wife attitude before they even see the car is not a good sign. I would make sure I was there, not just send her. As wrong as it is, some shops deal differently with guys than women.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:33 AM

I would phone the place back that did the brake job, have them phone where the car is at now and have them explain exactly what happened. I would then tell them either you pay this place to fix it or get it towed back to there place and fix it themselves. It’s obvious that they screwed something up.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:53 AM

Default Good luck

Quote:
They gave a little attitude but they have treated us fairly in the past.
Unless it is a 1 man shop, the new guy did it would be my guess. The owner will either immediately acknowledge the error and agree to make it right, or they will play the "the other shop did it" game.
FTR- Unless the entire brake shoe was ground into powder, which did not happen, there is nowhere for it to go when the rotor is in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new guy.jpg (15.5 KB, 54 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-26-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
I would phone the place back that did the brake job, have them phone where the car is at now and have them explain exactly what happened. I would then tell them either you pay this place to fix it or get it towed back to there place and fix it themselves. It’s obvious that they screwed something up.

The shop in Mayerthorpe did the work for free on no notice. They cleaned out the shrapnel, put it back together and got us on the road in under an hour. The shop that did the original work has ordered the parts. We just need to agree on who is paying for the repairs.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
The shop in Mayerthorpe did the work for free on no notice. They cleaned out the shrapnel, put it back together and got us on the road in under an hour. The shop that did the original work has ordered the parts. We just need to agree on who is paying for the repairs.
Send them a Christmass card .
Old 11-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the Mayerthorpe guy went to the Tirebob school of customer service...
Old 11-26-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Send them a Christmass card .
And a crock of rye!!!! You sure don't see that very often anymore and it wasn't very common years ago either.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
Sounds like the Mayerthorpe guy went to the Tirebob school of customer service...
Perhaps, the guy is a member on here??
Old 11-26-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post

The shop that fixed us up was Integra Tire and Auto Centre in Mayerthorpe. Very, very appreciative of the help!!
Old 11-29-2020, 01:02 AM
Banned

So, what was the outcome?
Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So, what was the outcome?
I called the shop that did the work. They ordered the parts and were going to talk to the mechanic. They called me the other day to book a time. It’s going in on Wednesday. He said once he takes a look at everything they’ll determine if it was their fault. If it was, he said they’ll pay for the repairs.