Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
When you see a lose dog you can determine how it left the property? I had a pitbull attack my on leash dog this year. Owner nowhere to be seen. I also had 60 head of cows break two fences to get on to my land and wreck a pile of freshly planted trees. From the comments in this thread it seems I should have laid them all out.
If a pitbull comes out of nowhere to attack my leashed dog, I will use whatever I have at my disposal to end the attack. The safety of my dog and myself are my priority, and I could care less about injuring or killing the pitbull. As for the cattle, that is much simpler, it's easy to prove whose cattle they are, and the owner is liable for damages.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
LOL

You think you are the only one who owns land just because you are a farmer? Some of us city bullies own land too, and we let people hunt it, without acting like our feces don't stink like you seem to on this thread and others.

What was your username when I banned you?
Please refrain from trying to run me down. How on earth could you have banned me ? Is there something I am missing ?
Old 11-23-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I have deer in my yard all the time, now my dog is very protective of his farm. But he was trained as a pup not to chase farm or wild animals. That wasn't hard to do by the way. When deer come in my yard he just watches them go buy, and over the years they have become use to him also. My yard is also a no shoot zone for me, I hunt deer and it might be the same ones in my yard that I take in the back 40, but they get a walk when in close. Any dog chasing deer or my farm animals are shot on sight. Call me what you want.
How about wildlife chasing wildlife?

Just saying that common sense to me means not taking some hardline “rule” on every little thing. That just brings even more laws, restrictions, hassles down on everyone. (And I come from a family with lawyers, judges, etc. They likely always had enough work.)

We only recently put up no hunting, no trespassing signs on our property because of the amateurish behaviour of hunters. Just because it was our right to do so didn't mean that we jumped on the chance to follow the letter of the law. If a dog had chased the horses or cows we’d probably just have walked over and talked with the neighbour.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:44 PM

We had a golden retriever and when it was about 6 months old he spotted a white tail doe in the hay field and took off after her barking along the way. The doe was only about 50 yds from the treeline but chose instead to take a run at my dog. He turned around and ran back to the house. He never chased another deer after that. If he saw one out in the field he would just sit and watch it.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post

Just saying that common sense to me means not taking some hardline “rule” on every little thing. That just brings even more laws, restrictions, hassles down on everyone. (And I come from a family with lawyers, judges, etc. They likely always had enough work.)

We only recently put up no hunting, no trespassing signs on our property because of the amateurish behaviour of hunters. Just because it was our right to do so didn't mean that we jumped on the chance to follow the letter of the law. If a dog had chased the horses or cows we’d probably just have walked over and talked with the neighbour.
Not sure what your getting at here? If a coyote is after my animal's or the deer (wildlife chasing wildlife) then I'd shoot him. If a poacher came on my land and shot a deer I'd report him. That to me is a common sense approach is it not?
Old 11-23-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
In your little imagined story how many times have the negligent domestic animal landowner been notified that his animals are off his property?

In the real world,

If a cow is on the highway for the countless time because the landowner is negligent and destroys a vehicle, placing the occupants in harms way is the landowner liable for the vehicle, or the vehicle owner liable for the cow?

By the way, this actually happened several times and has gone to court. Give us your opinion and then I will tell you the actual outcome.
Cool your jets. I made the comment tongue in cheek.

I think in addition to the Politics Only thread we need to add a "Shooting Dogs Only Thread" and "My Cartridge is The Best Only Thread"
Old 11-23-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post

Most of us are outdoorsmen here. Why would we be against wildlife chasing wildlife? I see the smiley face after. Hope your kidding.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I don't know if you guys recall the firestorm a couple years back about a family pet being snared at a coyote bait pile in Parkland County. It was in the papers, on CBC, and all over social media. Feces storm in the highest degree.

The trapper in question was my Godson, and I introduced him to the landowner who was having big problems with coyotes getting his calves (dairy farmer). My son and I actually helped setup that particular bait pile.

The dog that got caught, and later found frozen by its owner, was over a mile and a half away from its acreage running loose. In fact, it was an aggressive dog who came right into the farmer's yard and got aggressive toward another AO member a few weeks before it got caught in the trapper's snare. That dog's death was squarely the fault of its negligent owner.

I am a dog person. However, if that pack of dogs in the story were running wild, and harassing wildlife on my property, I would attempt to take care of them in my own way.
I would draw a rough comparable to the NHL with one of their rules. If your a goalie, untouchable while in the goalie crease. Goalie however comes out of the crease to play the puck, the goalie should be fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Pet owners need to be 100% responsible/accountable for the pet and that pet's actions. One might even argue some kids parent(s) should probably be held to that same standard. It should not be societies problem to fix/resolve.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I would draw a rough comparable to the NHL with one of their rules. If your a goalie, untouchable while in the goalie crease. Goalie however comes out of the crease to play the puck, the goalie should be fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Pet owners need to be 100% responsible/accountable for the pet and that pet's actions. One might even argue some kids parent(s) should probably be held to that same standard. It should not be societies problem to fix/resolve.
yup
Old 11-23-2020, 01:15 PM

This is the ONLY neighborhood pet that came on my property that I really wanted to shoot, although I'm not quite sure what pot-bellied pig would taste like.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:17 PM

I think the reality here is something like this …… maybe your neighbors dogs where they shouldn't be once and you chase them off and speak to that neighbor. Maybe they were just barking at pushing your cattle.

If it keeps happening, and there is no action to control these dogs - then, yes, it's on the dog owner and what action you take should be proportionate.

I don't think anyone on here is going to "shoot on site" the first time a neighbors dog(s) wanders into your pasture.

There are gray areas here, that depend on circumstances, severity and frequency, etc...
Old 11-23-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think the reality here is something like this …… maybe your neighbors dogs where they shouldn't be once and you chase them off and speak to that neighbor. Maybe they were just barking at pushing your cattle.

If it keeps happening, and there is no action to control these dogs - then, yes, it's on the dog owner and what action you take should be proportionate.

I don't think anyone on here is going to "shoot on site" the first time a neighbors dog(s) wanders into your pasture.

There are gray areas here, that depend on circumstances, severity and frequency, etc...
This really depends on the farmer/rancher. I know a few that if they caught dogs harassing their cattle..... well game over.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-23-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
my friend and I hunt upland with dogs,m often on crown land as well as private. Absolute, dyed in the wool dog people, both of us.
If one of the dogs get caught in a snare, it's on us not the trapper.
if one of our dogs gets loose and gets shot chasing cattle or deer, ( they are never allowed to run freely without their E collars on) It's on us, not the god or the shooter.
I have no sympathy or remorse for someone who looses their dog because it was shot harassing farm animals or wwildlife.
Cat
The sad part is that more often than not the dog pays the price for the irresponsible dog owner .
Keeping them under control keeps them safe .
Old 11-23-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post
Excuse me but where did I give anyone the law of the land ? My contributions are small as I only joined last month after some guys that stayed here said this was a community I may enjoy..

I will break down my thoughts for you, I have lived in the country for decades, have never had to exercise the destruction of any dog, nor has anyone I know... So, I share my personal experience and you jump down my throat ?

Why don't you ask others how many actually have killed domesticated pets under these circumstances and we will soon know who the troll really is...

I have had three dogs here over the years that were problems, starving and abandoned by their owners... They were rehomed to others in the area and have made exceptional companions.. These are my experiences, like it or not...

Jim
In some areas there can be a lot of trouble with stray dogs. Myself and most of my neighbours have shot dogs that were running around and harassing livestock. If I told most people some of the numbers they probably wouldn’t believe me, but it can be a big problem. I’d much rather deal with coyotes and wolves than dogs. If you care about your dog keep it at home
Old 11-23-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
This is the ONLY neighborhood pet that came on my property that I really wanted to shoot, although I'm not quite sure what pot-bellied pig would taste like.

Man that thing is morbidly obese.

You can hardly see the teeny little legs and snout that thing is so inflated.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
In my personal experience, this is very rare...

Those who advocate for the destruction of domesticated pets are not welcome here...
There's a world of diffference between advocating for the destruction of domesticated pets and a rancher shooting a dog because it's running his cattle.

I know for a fact that in US, a dog runs your cattle you can shoot it and are 100% within your rights to do so. I think it's probably the same here in Canada.

There was an incident outside Saskatoon a couple years back where a fellow shot his neighbors dog. The owners refused to keep their dog penned or tied. The dog kept running over to the neighbors house and harassing his domesticated animal (I think it was a mule). The neighbor tried multiple times to get the dog owners to stop their animal but they wouldn't. Their attitude was, "We live out in the country and our dog should be allowed to roam free" which is completely wrong, completely selfish and complete stupid! So finally neigbor shot the dog when he caught it in the act of harassing his animal yet again.

There was a hug uproar about it but in the end, neighbor was never charged because he tried within reason, and possibly beyond to get the negligent dog owner to stop the activity which they refused to do. So what else was he supposed to do?

What would you do in that situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you care about your dogs, don't let them run wild and chase game animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
The sad part is that more often than not the dog pays the price for the irresponsible dog owner .
The above two responses are absolutely 100% correct. If you live in the country and aren't smart enough to train your animal to stay on your land, then YOU, not the dog are at fault if it gets shot because it's chasing some other landowners animals. Sadly, the dog pays for some human's stupidity in these cases.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-23-2020, 01:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Man that thing is morbidly obese.

You can hardly see the teeny little legs and snout that thing is so inflated.
Imagime what the owner looks like....

Ain't no dog gonna mess with him.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This really depends on the farmer/rancher. I know a few that if they caught dogs harassing their cattle..... well game over.
Fair enough.

I just think people who get enraged at the thought of someone shooting their "pets" needs to understand it's not something the average landowner does without some reasonable consideration and/or justification.

Not every pup on the farm/acreage is going to know what's appropriate until they have had a opportunity to be taught/trained.

Smart dogs may never have this instinct, or can be corrected the first time they wander …. but some young dogs will need guidance - not a bullet.

If they don't learn, and their sins are serious enough - well then - what happens from there is on the dog owner.

I just don't need anyone thinking the first time fluffy comes over to my side of the fence or wanders up my driveway I'm automatically grabbing for a gun.

I also support the fact if fluffy is a little tyrant and causing serious issues, or constantly harassing and causing chaos, endangering livestock, deer or people, I may be more than justified in grabbing my gun.

Last edited by EZM; 11-23-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
When you see a lose dog you can determine how it left the property? I had a pitbull attack my on leash dog this year. Owner nowhere to be seen. I also had 60 head of cows break two fences to get on to my land and wreck a pile of freshly planted trees. From the comments in this thread it seems I should have laid them all out.
Someone referenced a former thread that ruffled feathers. In that thread, IIRC, the issue was neighboring dogs whose owners had no fences, yet did not have them on leashes. The dog(s) being referenced were aggressive toward both the people in the subdivision, kids, and dogs on leashes being walked by owners.

This thread is showing dogs running wild attacking ungulates.

I stand by my comment. If I saw this on my land, those dogs would take a dirt nap.

Mooseriver... how did you handle this pitbull attack?
Old 11-23-2020, 01:58 PM
Banned

I think most people that live say in rural area would tell people he saw dogs chasing deer and maybe even show picture so if it was your dog you could tie it up or pen it.
A farmer in an area I am from lived by small community and group of town dogs in the morning would pack together and come and killed his turkeys. So he did the right thing and spoke to people those dogs they were and got the word around. Most people said can’t be my dog and did nothing. They came back and killed more turkeys so thought we’ll no one is doing anything so he took matters into his own hands. The dogs hat to cross a shallow river to get to his place so he loaded up his trusty 30-30 and sat on river bank early in morning . Sure enough dogs were coming again waited until they started swimming and opened fire. I think he got 4 of 7 and they were swept away by the river. In couple days people came looking for their dogs at his place. They wouldn’t be here because when I told u your dog was killing my turkeys you said it wasn’t your dogs.

We had same thing happen to us as neighbours dog would kill couple chickens a year and my dad told person that keep dogs away from my yard. He wouldn’t charge them but got upset . Until 1 year they came in and killing 25 and were harassing our pigs. He had the shotgun handy but didn’t shoot. That year they paid for all the chickens the dogs killed and we never had problems again . Why? Seems neighbour didn’t really care too much about his dogs and drove them out in the country and dogs never came back!
Old 11-23-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Excuse me but where did I give anyone the law of the land ? My contributions are small as I only joined last month after some guys that stayed here said this was a community I may enjoy..

I will break down my thoughts for you, I have lived in the country for decades, have never had to exercise the destruction of any dog, nor has anyone I know... So, I share my personal experience and you jump down my throat ?

Why don't you ask others how many actually have killed domesticated pets under these circumstances and we will soon know who the troll really is...

I have had three dogs here over the years that were problems, starving and abandoned by their owners... They were rehomed to others in the area and have made exceptional companions.. These are my experiences, like it or not...

Jim
Originally Posted by*Simplefarmer*

Those who advocate for the destruction of domesticated pets are not welcome here...

Your words.

When you say here, I take it to mean 'here on the AO forum, general section.

Are you now back pedalling in an attempt to say 'here' means your land?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Cool your jets. I made the comment tongue in cheek.

I think in addition to the Politics Only thread we need to add a "Shooting Dogs Only Thread" and "My Cartridge is The Best Only Thread"
Jets cool

30-06 is best

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-23-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post

Depends on how you cure it lol

I cant see it getting gamey or stringy from running hahaha

Old 11-23-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
One of my neighbors thought it was ok for his dog to run at large, even put a red coat on him, so people would recognize him. Unfortunately for him, one of my other neighbors, who's been having an ongoing problem with a third neighbor's dogs , caught him chasing his cows. He wasn't targeting that neighbor's dog , but what happened was inevitable. Dogs pay the price for stupid owners.

Grizz
Old 11-23-2020, 05:09 PM

Where I grew up in Manitoba it would happen every winter, the deer would yard up bybthe elevators and the lical pack would corner them by the annex and rip them to pieces, saw the aftermath many times. Dogs disappeared pretty quick after that

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2020, 05:32 PM

Big issues out east but they hunt deer with dogs there, feral dogs are fair game.

LC
Old 11-23-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
...Dogs pay the price for stupid owners.

Grizz
Truth ^^^^^^
Old 11-23-2020, 07:26 PM

Right after I killed my buck I ran into two large dogs on the trail out. Literally 100 yards from my dead buck. No owners just running wild. One even had a reflective harness on. They growled and barked. I had to go back to my deer and make sure they weren’t on it as they then ran through the bush in the bucks direction. Weird man. I scared them off and put my jacket and bag on the deer to leave my scent to possibly deter while I was gone getting my sled. He was unscathed when I returned but could definitely see these types of dogs going after animals.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Irresponsible pet owners that let their dogs run free on someone else's property are not welcome here.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:31 PM

When we lived on farm back in MB, Dad brought home a wolf hound pup from the bush camp in Red Lake, Ont. Turned out to be a huge but shy dog that protected the property, it wouldn't chase any of our livestock or deer, but it did kill numerous coyotes, smart dog. We had another smaller dog that decided to kill a few chickens one day, it got a quick bullet. Our neighbours never had any problems with our dogs or their dogs wandering. We had great neighbours, it would have to be really serious for me to shoot their dog.