Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 AM

Thumbs down NSR spill

Did you hear? There is a spill of some sort on the NSR. Started at the drainage sewer just up from the Quesnell Bridge and has gotten past the booms that they laid out to try and contain it at the power plant downtown.

From what I have read, it had a strong odour of paint thinner or cleaner. Some f****r probably poured it down the drain. I hate people who are that dumb.

Anyway, last I heard it was contained from the north shore to about 1/3 of the way out.

I hope that they can clean it up with no issues.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 AM

I heard on CHED they had the booms out and had it contained with no real damage with the exception of the banks a couple hundred yards downstream.

I still havent heard an estimated amount or what it was...I imagine a plethora of other chemical not mentioned are weaaaayyy downstream.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannie View Post
I heard on CHED they had the booms out and had it contained with no real damage with the exception of the banks a couple hundred yards downstream.

I still havent heard an estimated amount or what it was...I imagine a plethora of other chemical not mentioned are weaaaayyy downstream.
i will try and find out at work how much substance was released!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned

Any further news on this one?

Waxy
Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 AM

Haven't heard a thing since the spill.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 AM

Apparently they worked out it was naptha, and figured that it would dissipate/evaporate safely within a few days. I never did hear if they found out who dumped it.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Default I worked this

I was involved in the course of my job. Yes it was determined to be naptha. Evaporates very quickly and does not disolve in water, ball or sink like crude. Very minimal impact and no known wildlife effected. Found the storm drain it came from. Issue is that storm drain takes in about 20% of the city of Edmonton. A trace was attempted but really a long shot. I have not heard from the compliance guys at Environment if the offender was found. Odds are some idiot used naptha to clean paint brushes or car parts or whatever and dumped it. There has been enough rain since the event that the storm sewer system will have flushed itself and we have seen the last of THIS event.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner22a View Post
I was involved in the course of my job. Yes it was determined to be naptha. Evaporates very quickly and does not disolve in water, ball or sink like crude. Very minimal impact and no known wildlife effected. Found the storm drain it came from. Issue is that storm drain takes in about 20% of the city of Edmonton. A trace was attempted but really a long shot. I have not heard from the compliance guys at Environment if the offender was found. Odds are some idiot used naptha to clean paint brushes or car parts or whatever and dumped it. There has been enough rain since the event that the storm sewer system will have flushed itself and we have seen the last of THIS event.
hey gunner, you with the fire department? There is still some traces in the storm water! BTW this outfall is sampled twice a week ..