Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I'm going to go with no Rams for gopher as he is avoiding the question, and I would say it takes the average sheep hunter about 10yrs. to get a sheep and sure the odd nube gets one the first year.
Isn't there a saying that goes something like"the ram you shoot will most likely not even have been born yet when you started sheep hunting" or soemthing like that?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I'm not sure I'd make that blanket statement about guys with rams and guys without rams. Several guys I know have not killed a ram but hunted for 5-10+ years for one, understand sheep and have a true passion for sheep hunting. Others have shot one in a year or two. Does killing truly mean that a person understands or have a fully different opion on the matter? I highly doubt it from what I've seen....and earning one comes in a whole lot of different experiences and cant really be measured against another persons view of 'earning' IMO....
Well said!

Quote:
I'm going to go with no Rams for gopher as he is avoiding the question, and I would say it takes the average sheep hunter about 10yrs. to get a sheep and sure the odd nube gets one the first year.
Ksteed got a ram on his first try! Does that make him lucky or less of a sheep hunter than guys who have put 10+ years?

He also shoot a monster, maybe that makes him one of the best ram hunters ever, cause there's a lot of 10+ guys that haven't sniffed a ram like that!

Passion for sheep, has no limits or molds, nor does it have to come from experienced or none experienced guys. Wanting to make everything better, and have sheep to hunt in the future is what this thread is about.

Brainstorming solutions, and motivating people to stand up to fight for the cause. And not to do nothing and accept a resolution that only satisfies the paper pushers.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM

If FNAWS is in favour of a draw it would seem that there are a lot of sheep hunters here that are supporting an organization that is going against what we want here in Alberta.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Well said!

Ksteed got a ram on his first try! Does that make him lucky or less of a sheep hunter than guys who have put 10+ years?

He also shoot a monster, maybe that makes him one of the best ram hunters ever, cause there's a lot of 10+ guys that haven't sniffed a ram like that!

Passion for sheep, has no limits or molds, nor does it have to come from experienced or none experienced guys. Wanting to make everything better, and have sheep to hunt in the future is what this thread is about.

Brainstorming solutions, and motivating people to stand up to fight for the cause. And not to do nothing and accept a resolution that only satisfies the paper pushers.

I'd sooner be lucky than good!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 PM

I agree there is more to sheep hunting than just killing. It's your gear you have to buy and upgrade. The committment to stay in shape, so you can get to the places that you want.

And finally it's the hunt, there is nothing more peaceful than hunting sheep. At 6000 to 9000 ft you rarly run into anybody. I have been hunting sheep for three years and I don't get alot of opportunity to get out but when I do I enjoy every second of it. This year I did my dream hunt with horses and mules, it was alot of work but words can't describe the feeling of being out there.

After being bitten with the sheep bug, it's the only hunting I really want to do other than predator hunting ( thats a new ball game). I know my wife and all my friends would say that I am very committed to hunting sheep. Not only do you have yourself to keep in shape you have your animals to feed all year and keep in shape, keep your skills with shooting and maintaining all your tack. Put feed up during the summer to feed your horses and mules.
For me I have alot of time and money invested for sheep hunting, so for someone to come here and claim one guy is more committed to sheep than another guy is just plain selfish.

Ok done That is probably the most I ever wrote in one post before. And I have yet to shoot a Sheep.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Pics or it didn’t happen lol
Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
If FNAWS is in favour of a draw it would seem that there are a lot of sheep hunters here that are supporting an organization that is going against what we want here in Alberta.
From the response I received from them, they are not supporting any of the options right now and are seeking more information before they make a decision.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Special no I am not able to take the bottles back for extra cash yes. Ah the pics or it didn’t happen guy bothers you not knowing eh?......Grin
I was a kid when I did that. Haha. No I want to know if you have a ram or not as guys with out have a whole other opinion on how we should do it as they just have not earned one yet.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that I have never been out sheep hunting?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I'm not sure I'd make that blanket statement about guys with rams and guys without rams. Several guys I know have not killed a ram but hunted for 5-10+ years for one, understand sheep and have a true passion for sheep hunting. Others have shot one in a year or two. Does killing truly mean that a person understands or have a fully different opion on the matter? I highly doubt it from what I've seen....and earning one comes in a whole lot of different experiences and cant really be measured against another persons view of 'earning' IMO....
I am sorry good point. Most of the guys that whine about not getting one cause ther are none and we need to put on a draw or this or that. There are many that just have not shot one do to they have not found the rite one for them but have pasted up a few. So I am sport to put a blanket statement like that out there.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well if you did post a pic. If not is that what your problem is???
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
Are you saying that I have never been out sheep hunting?
Not saying that no
Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Should read more carefully.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Well said!

Glad I'm finally being recognized for what I am around here. But honestly shooting a ram has made me obsessed with sheep hunting. It's all I think about and I know I'm a rookie still. I know a few guys who haven't killed one yet but I pick their brain every chance I get. I would be so sad if I could t go out every year just for the chance at a ram.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well said!

There is a differnce between making it better and giving the government an extra $550 as gopher wants as he has no idea were his money goes.... I am all for making things better... But you have to have a realistic and provide real logical imput to make it better... Draw will not do that... Neither will $600 licence fee...
Old 12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
sheephunter

According to SRD the idea of substantially increasing licence fees is off the table so I wouldn't worry to much about it. There are some real things on the table to worry about though
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
According to SRD the idea of substantially increasing licence fees is off the table so I wouldn't worry to much about it. There are some real things on the table to worry about though
Why are these proposed changes not put to a vote like the crossbow issue was?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
So what is TJ. Don't just say one and not the whole thing. What and why are these changes for?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
So what is TJ. Don't just say one and not the whole thing. What and why are these changes for?
It's all in this thread Justin.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 PM

www.mccowans.com

is it just a coincidence that 10 NR sheep tags are currently for sale in Alberta?......or do outfitters know something we ("unconnected residents") don't?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 PM

It would be interesting to know how many of these people that make all the decisions in SRD that do and have sheep hunted before.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know how many of these people that make all the decisions in SRD that do and have sheep hunted before.
Or hunted at all??
Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I was enrolled in the conservation enforcement program but dropped out before classes started but I shadowed a guy for a few days to see what it involved and I was very surprised to see in a class of 20 there was only 2 hunters! I know they're not srd but all the same I figured those who had a big enough interest in wildlife would be hunters and understand it but no.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM

I hear you Rackmastr, they can't even manage Deer or Pronghorn.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's all in this thread Justin.
Ar making sure there was nothing else. As that is how I took your comment.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Good point guys. People that don't do our sport should NOT be making decisions as they have no real clue what the he'll is going on out there.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
Good point guys. People that don't do our sport should NOT be making decisions as they have no real clue what the he'll is going on out there.
If we had the majority of hunters making the rules we wouldnt have any game left to shoot. Have you ever seen any pre conservation fishing and hunting pictures? People take and take until there is nothing less. I think hunters should have some input on hunting regulations but I'm glad they dont get to make all the rules. There is a reason biologists go to university and spend all that tax payer money studying our ecosystem, I dont think they are right all the time either, but im guessing they have a hundred times more knowledge than your average hunter. I am embarresed/sorry to say that I would say at least 50% of hunters are morons that give us all a bad name.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 PM

And by my grammar in my last post I may look like one of them
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
And by my grammar in my last post I may look like one of them
You are rite they are... But there should be a 50-50 in the office to offset stupid...
Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
If we had the majority of hunters making the rules we wouldnt have any game left to shoot. Have you ever seen any pre conservation fishing and hunting pictures? People take and take until there is nothing less. I think hunters should have some input on hunting regulations but I'm glad they dont get to make all the rules. There is a reason biologists go to university and spend all that tax payer money studying our ecosystem, I dont think they are right all the time either, but im guessing they have a hundred times more knowledge than your average hunter. I am embarresed/sorry to say that I would say at least 50% of hunters are morons that give us all a bad name.
i think thats the problem with society as a whole. too many halfwits riding the coattails of those who have some knowledge and skills. if darwin were allowed to run his natural course, there are so many that wouldnt be here.......

biologists fall into that too. they are after all just people. dont ever forget....educated and intelligent are NOT the same thing. i could give countless examples, but judging from your post history, i suspect you know what im getting at.

also dont forget that the first, and to this day most active conservationists are hunters. if it wasnt for hunters giving a crap once upon a time, the world would look a lot different today.