Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Default The Back eddy Bully

After the stellar rocky whitefish action i had earlier this week i thought id try for a round 2 on a rainy sunday afternoon. Having swore off ice fishing the day before after taking a dip threw shere lake in my snowshoes i headed back to the exact same spot with the exact same setup as earlier in the week. First cast.. then second... then 10th... nothing...

Decided to switch up to a tiny sparkly green fly.. no self respecting whitefish would turn that down right? Umpteen casts and i finally feel a little nibble... getting desperate for some action i set into somthing thats tiny and swimming awkwardly.. A tiny rocky white emerges foul hooked under the jaw... Quickly released as he was still in good shape im thinking its go time! Another 50+ casts yielded nothing more than a few light nibbles. Thinking this was going to be an easy fish i brought nothing more than a package of assorted flies and 3 secret whitefish weights. I was getting ready to bail when i tied on the biggest fly i had and gave it a shot... Bam a big hit! thinking the rainbows have arrived i cast out again. Instantly i got somthing much bigger than a white and fighting like a trout should.. Here was the culprit.. my first bull trout of the season!

The whites are waiting... the bull trout have arrived... soon the running of the rainbows will commence and im hoping to not be at work when it happen.

Also tossed in my last iced fish.. a smallie brookie.. not worth joining the polar bear club for let me tell ya!

Good luck out there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4398.jpg (75.7 KB, 811 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4399.jpg (79.1 KB, 826 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4401.jpg (68.7 KB, 777 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4395.jpg (66.0 KB, 799 views)
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Banned

Awesome

How big is the water you're fishing?

Great lookin bull
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Great report and pictures, love the bull beautiful fish
Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 PM

Great story and nice bull. The markings on that one are really nice.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Awesome

How big is the water you're fishing?

Great lookin bull
About this big
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4379.jpg (50.7 KB, 439 views)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Nice! I wish I was out fishing. Did you get a picture of the bull? The pics in the post are all brookies . Decent size but definitely Brook trout.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
Nice! I wish I was out fishing. Did you get a picture of the bull? The pics in the post are all brookies . Decent size but definitely Brook trout.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM

Great pictures! The spring colors on Bulls are always a treat. Love the mottled spots and white edged fins of your BC Bulls.

Fishstix, that's definitely not a Brook Trout - except the last picture. The color variation from Alberta Bull Trout to BC Bull Trout can be large. I notice that here in AB, the colored spots are not as dramatic as they are in BC. Here in AB, in my experience, our Bulls are green/gold and more solid of a color. In BC, they tend to have very dramatic red spots with a more silver base color.

Looking forward to chasing some Bulls in BC soon!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Nice bull there! Congrats!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
The first three pictures in the first post are all Bull Trout.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Great pictures! The spring colors on Bulls are always a treat. Love the mottled spots and white edged fins of your BC Bulls.

Fishstix, that's definitely not a Brook Trout - except the last picture. The color variation from Alberta Bull Trout to BC Bull Trout can be large. I notice that here in AB, the colored spots are not as dramatic as they are in BC. Here in AB, in my experience, our Bulls are green/gold and more solid of a color. In BC, they tend to have very dramatic red spots with a more silver base color.

Looking forward to chasing some Bulls in BC soon!
Ya huge difference. Ours are more grey ish green than that. I stand corrected.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned

great looking fish. i love fishing for rainbows and don't have much experiance with bulls and browns, but i must confess that after looking at the pics. and checking pics in the regs. i thought your pics were of a brook trout also. going to have to some research before fishing any southern streams or rivers.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Billycap, yer a lucky dawg to live in an area with such awesome fish right in your back yard.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
great looking fish. i love fishing for rainbows and don't have much experiance with bulls and browns, but i must confess that after looking at the pics. and checking pics in the regs. i thought your pics were of a brook trout also. going to have to some research before fishing any southern streams or rivers.
You guys had me going lol... For a moment there i thought my dreams had come true and some of those Fortress lake (hamber park) hogs had escaped down the wood river into kinbasket lake... Ill be sure n takes some spawn season pics this year... When they school up and hang out in the shallow water come late august they totally look like spawning brookies to me.

No worries though its been a learning curve for fish identification for me too..
Still cant really tell the difference between the young rainbows and the kokannee.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 AM

Hit up the N thompson river today. Still some very deep snow out there. Some strange second growth forest in this area mixed with old growth. Bulls where biting but no bows or whites to be had. Not monsters but still worth the effort.

P.s: Ive officially hit rock bottom in my spoon/spinner department. Resorting to busting 2 hooks of trebles and using oilfield shwag hooks that usually scare fish to other fishermen. One of these days ill make the 5 hour round trip to buy cambodian tire/wallmart hooks in hinton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4438.jpg (41.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4437.jpg (47.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4433.jpg (48.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4430.jpg (57.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4429.jpg (104.1 KB, 192 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycap View Post
One of these days ill make the 5 hour round trip to buy cambodian tire/wallmart hooks in hinton.
Save yourself the gas money and fishing time. Ebay has a lot of good deals and reasonable shipping. For example: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-Size-4-Ho...item53f7674351
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM

Awesome fish!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
One of these days ill make the 5 hour round trip to buy cambodian tire/wallmart hooks in hinton.

No need, there is a store in McBride "wahoo enterprise" that sells fishing lures and such. Take a right off main street by the train station.

Or there is a Rob the owner of Bustin Trout in Tete Jeun that sells flies and other fishing stuff.

Cheers,
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Awesome I will have to check these out.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
The first three pictures in the first post are all Bull Trout.
You're right Adam.

Fishstix, colour is too variable to be reliable for identifying fish species. The key identifying feature, to differentiate between bull and brook trout, is the dorsal fin.

The fish in the third photo is clearly a bull trout, because it has no black markings on the dorsal fin. The fish in the fourth photo has distinct black markings on the dorsal fin, so it is a brook trout.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 PM

Beautiful Bull Trout, thanks for sharing with us. Hopefully within a few weeks I'll be in your boots, if but a bit closer to home.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Great pics and story! Love the colors!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 PM

Went out in the pouring rain this morning in search of a bite and found nothing but wet and cold. Right before noon it started to clear off a bit and i managed a few whites before bailing home. Had couple hour nap and headed out to see if any more bulls had shown up this week. I stayed a little too late and had a rough time walking threw the bush in the dark on the way out. Got into a couple nice ones finally! Including one that dragged me up river with it for 50 yards making sure i was good and soaked. Its amazing the color variations in 2 fish caught out of the same hole.

Enjoy, I sure did!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4460.jpg (70.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4462.jpg (79.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0851.jpg (85.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0853.jpg (78.8 KB, 143 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 PM

What a beauty!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

picture perfect specimen
Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 AM
Banned

billy, your 2nd trip was worth a new post. i'm betting a lot of us missed those great pics. congrats.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Its all good ninja this will be a continuing thread for me so im sure they will see em eventually. Yesterday i hiked what looked to be an easy 1km hike to some untried spots in the river. And by easy i mean google earth said it looked easy.. Anyway the bush was soo thick there that it took over an hour each way.. Near the end i was using my rifle as a machete and did a lot of crawling on rabbit trails. At first i saw what looked to be deer scrapes all over... after seeing that there was literally thousands of them it dawned on me that no self respecting deer would live in this dense of underbrush.. Then i spotted one.. and another and another and another. Irish rabbits everywhere! Just starting to turn from white to brown they looked very red. Wishing id brought the .22 instead of a fishing rod.. Then i remembered that wabbits are only to be taken during hunting season in bc. Stumbled into an ancient homestead.. No discernible road in or out... all collapsed in.. house, barn.. even the chicken coop. Was a creepy place and i did not linger but did notice the garbage pile of rusty cans and bottles on the way out. Hmm none of the bottles had twist tops so im guessing thats an old settlers homestead. So when i finally made it to the river i ditched the heavy pack and traded hiking boots for cheap wally world chest waders. I walked a good 10km in those badboys yesterday and i gotta confess.. My feet are sporting quadrant blisters and the ones on the ankle bones are pretty bad. The fishing was stellar and had pretty steady action all day. I went both up river and down river from my backpack and each time id go by id flip a hook into this little eddy and pull out this fish... After the 3rd time catching him in 6 hours i decided to skip that pool on the way out. I named him "One Eye". Got into a few bigger ones through the day but never landed any monsters. Speaking of monsters i noticed quite a few dead ones in the landlocked pools of tributaries that are seasonal.. Seems big bulls are more territorial than i thought. Was thinking of heading back to the honey hole i caught the monster at but having seen what ive seen id prob just be catching the same fish again... Ill heal the feet and head out looking for a new monster soon enough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4494.jpg (132.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4492.jpg (66.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4482.jpg (67.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4480.jpg (68.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4477.jpg (72.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4472.jpg (95.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4466.jpg (82.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4474.jpg (74.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Caught my first bull out of basket lake yesterday.. Ice is off.. water is very low. Again a big color difference.. no defined markings and no red tail
Im wondering if im looking at the difference between a dolly and a bull?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Possibly..Have a picture ?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Caught my first bull out of basket lake yesterday.. Ice is off.. water is very low. Again a big color difference.. no defined markings and no red tail
Im wondering if im looking at the difference between a dolly and a bull?
In previous Dolly/Bull threads I have posted lots of really good info as well as links to papers which will show you the known distributions of the 2 species in BC as well as regions of distributional overlap and hybridization.

You are unlikely to find S.malma (Dollies) in the Valemont area as they are not known to occur there.

Genetic testing is the only way to really know what you are dealing with. However the distributions of the 2 fish are quite distinct, so by using that info you can be fairly sure of what you are catching.