Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Default NSR Tips

Can anyone suggest any decent places to fish from shore along the NSR? Somewhere between Fort Sask and the Vinca Bridge or further north?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 PM

Try right behind Sherritt plantsite between the plant intake and the penisula of the island. The water slows down in that area and I have had many good days there hammering walleye. If you could get on to the island that would be a bonus but the water might be too high. Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acipenser View Post
Can anyone suggest any decent places to fish from shore along the NSR? Somewhere between Fort Sask and the Vinca Bridge or further north?

Thanks
Vinca bridge is always busy. Try south try artound legends golf course it can be busy there to but good fishing.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Have never fished that section but this thread brings back fond memories of fishin the NSR. Sitting on a foulding chair watching the rod tip and or listening for the bell to ring. Talking to people who floated by in canoes. Watching ducks and geese flying up or down stream following the river.( I know a fellow who in the fall had his fishing rod propped up on a forked stick and his shotgun propped up at the ready on another forked stick to deal with waterfowl in the fall.) Having a few pulls on what we called "River Mix" ( a "slurpy" or "slush" with a little extra added for medicinal purposes, not when shotguns were about of course.)

We used "pickeral rigs" with a worm or a small dead frog for bait. And you never knew what was going to be on the end of a pulsating fishing pole.

Robin in Rocky
Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 AM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Have never fished that section but this thread brings back fond memories of fishin the NSR. Sitting on a foulding chair watching the rod tip and or listening for the bell to ring. Talking to people who floated by in canoes. Watching ducks and geese flying up or down stream following the river.( I know a fellow who in the fall had his fishing rod propped up on a forked stick and his shotgun propped up at the ready on another forked stick to deal with waterfowl in the fall.) Having a few pulls on what we called "River Mix" ( a "slurpy" or "slush" with a little extra added for medicinal purposes, not when shotguns were about of course.)

We used "pickeral rigs" with a worm or a small dead frog for bait. And you never knew what was going to be on the end of a pulsating fishing pole.

Robin in Rocky
You just give me the most clear picture of my grandfather with that description, jump started my memories. Thank you!!! I miss him.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 AM

Behind the sheritt plant is good,you also could try the boat launch at fort sask!!! Good luck
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 PM

Back from spending 12+ hours fishing NSR from Ft Sask to the Vinca bridge. 4 of us threw everything but the kitchen sink at them and after 48 man hours all we had to show for it was 3 Goldeye! The first one was caught on a LT #4 Red Devil, go figure....so I thought ok, should be a few more around, lets throw out a elk hair caddis.

Not a sniff...so I switched it up and went my old faithful the black gnat. Nadda, nothing, zero. So what happens next you ask? The nephew who caught the fisrt Goldeye and his zebco special with 25lb test and 40lb leader catch another Goldeye. He releases that one and on his next cast, catches another!

Thankfully on his next cast he sets the hook into a rock bass and breaks his rod. So I say to myself one more cast and then were done. I manage a nice roll cast upstream on the edge of the current and start to watch it slowly drift down in front of me. Looks good...no reason a Goldeye shouldn't gobble it up, but half way into the drift not 2 feet from my fly does a Goldeye stick its head up just enough to slurp up something, wink at me and then head back down to the bottom.

I'll be sticking to lakes with my canoe for awhile. Way more options and your odds are better.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 PM

NSR has always been good to me. But there ain't no rock bass in there. Try spin casting for the most part and when you see goldeye rise thats when you reach for the fly rod.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
NSR has always been good to me. But there ain't no rock bass in there. Try spin casting for the most part and when you see goldeye rise thats when you reach for the fly rod.
By Rock Bass he means he got snagged on some rocks and broke the line. That's about the only thing I catch out of there too.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biga View Post
by rock bass he means he got snagged on some rocks and broke the line. That's about the only thing i catch out of there too.

lol
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM

We had real good luck just between calmar and warburg. 2 hours, 10 burbot and six walleye. of course i have the luxury of fishing on buddy's land. It was my first time fishing in NSR and a jig head with a tail worked great. It was easy.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM

The best luck i ever had on the nsr is just using pickeral rigs with worms or minnows.