Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 11:08 AM

That is what I figured, kinda a shame to let all those beauties rot.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:31 AM

I think they should make us pay up front for the tag during the application process when applying and reimburse us if we don't get a draw as that way the tree huggers won't apply for the draw and not use one of the tags up. Just my two cents.

Goose
Old 12-16-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
I think they should make us pay up front for the tag during the application process when applying and reimburse us if we don't get a draw as that way the tree huggers won't apply for the draw and not use one of the tags up. Just my two cents.

Goose
It's more about the cull than the money, at only $9 for two tags.
I do agree there should be some sort of way to enforce a penalty of some sort for those who were drawn that don't show up.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Late season hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I don't participate in late season hunts either, I thought the December hunt was borderline before and now with it extending into Jan I don't like the thought of it.
With respect for your standards, I hope there are lots of hunters who dislike the thought of seeing a gravid uterus when they contemplate entering this lottery draw. I maybe the lucky one to get drawn because you don't enter.

From an ethical perspective though, most elk cows are harvested after their embryos are implanted in the uterus so the lateness of the pregnancy is really just a matter of taste. (Pun unintended) If you have harvested December cows, it's likely you have removed some pretty well developed calves in the uterus. I don't want you to change your mind about the hunt, but engage the thinking behind your reticence to participate. You're clear about it being a personal issue but I wonder why. (At least one teacher in my town hopes we can bring back some unborn calf hearts for dissection after getting one from early December's harvest. There are ways to make more use of our harvests.)

WMU 300 seasons extend until late February annually so this is not a new management tool with respect to the development of the calf. And it's not unethical to shoot a cow or doe late in term and I don't think term is relevant.

Some of my colleagues don't like to take a wet doe in the fall - I think this objection is similar as it's simply choice.

Stick to your principles. It makes a difference.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
With respect for your standards, I hope there are lots of hunters who dislike the thought of seeing a gravid uterus when they contemplate entering this lottery draw. I maybe the lucky one to get drawn because you don't enter.

From an ethical perspective though, most elk cows are harvested after their embryos are implanted in the uterus so the lateness of the pregnancy is really just a matter of taste. (Pun unintended) If you have harvested December cows, it's likely you have removed some pretty well developed calves in the uterus. I don't want you to change your mind about the hunt, but engage the thinking behind your reticence to participate. You're clear about it being a personal issue but I wonder why. (At least one teacher in my town hopes we can bring back some unborn calf hearts for dissection after getting one from early December's harvest. There are ways to make more use of our harvests.)

WMU 300 seasons extend until late February annually so this is not a new management tool with respect to the development of the calf. And it's not unethical to shoot a cow or doe late in term and I don't think term is relevant.

Some of my colleagues don't like to take a wet doe in the fall - I think this objection is similar as it's simply choice.

Stick to your principles. It makes a difference.
No and I get that whether you shoot one in late September or October or Feb you are "killing" the same number of animals but I guess that is also my argument why not have this hunt in September or Oct? Why wait until the fetus is so mature? Just seems messed up to me.

Not really passing judgement on anyone just my own perspective ....Ill continue shooting bulls every year
Old 12-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Default Elk fetus

Quote:
Not until I just Googled it but it appears to be a cooked bird fetus.
I seen that on the TV show Life Below Zero the one guy had caribou fetus he got from the cow he shot.

I would assume a fetus should be about 30lbs at the time of this hunt ...have no clue if the meat would be salvageable and how much there really would be. but I would assume about as much as a lamb.
My limited research shows elk calves being born at 33-35 pounds so I'm thinking that the fetuses will be much smaller at the time of the hunt. You could always target calves, although harvesting pregnant cows would help to reach management goals faster, I suppose. Do whatever you feel is right!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 PM

To clear up some of the misconception and straight from the ESRD contact in regads to the licenses:

"One application, whatever as group or single, is for 1 license which is 2 tags. So 2 tags total as a group or single application. Group simply allows 2 guys to pull the trigger. He stressed that that they want to shoot and take down elk. The sole intent of the hunt on suffield is to reduce the population."
Old 12-16-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Sorry if these q's have been asked...

If I'm lucky to get drawn:

What's the approx wait time for the CWD results?

What's the average age of a cow elk at suffield, any idea?
Old 12-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Not wanting to start an argument but am I the only one with reservations about killing a cow 3/4 the way through her gestational period?
I understand this is a cull and what the purpose is but it just seems wrong to me.
Depending where they are shot and how long before you gut them chances are the calf will still be alive and about the size of a smaller yellow lab...seems messed up to me.
Next question is if you were to shoot a cow do you intend to salvage the meat of the calf at all?
If your not feeling it... don't apply. There will be plenty of guys to take your spot.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 PM

Anyone want to take a Guess at the number of guys that put in for this draw ? 5000? 8000 ? Should be interesting ! Also curious to see how many actually show up ..... Hope all 125 do !
Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun77 View Post
To clear up some of the misconception and straight from the ESRD contact in regads to the licenses:

"One application, whatever as group or single, is for 1 license which is 2 tags. So 2 tags total as a group or single application. Group simply allows 2 guys to pull the trigger. He stressed that that they want to shoot and take down elk. The sole intent of the hunt on suffield is to reduce the population."
Great , let's mix it up a little more, as if everyone isn't confused enough already!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 PM

Default two elk or four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun77 View Post

If this proves to be true, it's pretty ingenious. It's a very creative way to handle the situation but raises an interesting possibility. There could be way more than 125 hunters on the block each week. I have no doubt they know they can handle it.

Most of us would need to give meat to our friends and family if we took two more elk to add to our existing supply so this is a good way to manage the fact that we usually take a helper on a hunt like this and it would be great if (s)he could shoot one.

We will apply with two on one app even if this is the way it shakes down - which will be surprising.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Where does it say cow elk? Says antlerless. In feb! Could mean either sex I think

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Great , let's mix it up a little more, as if everyone isn't confused enough already!
This was information obtained from a phone conversation with Mr. Alexander MacDonnell, a Public Affairs Officer from Sustainable Resource Development.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:21 PM

I'll be putting in, but I don't have room for two elk in my freezer if I did get drawn. I wonder how many guys will just fill one of the two tags?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Cwd

I just noticed that 212 elk were tested for CWD in 2013. I am guessing that almost all were Suffield elk.

It explains the number of licenses this year and the way they have changed the management of the hunt on the base to increase the percentage of harvests.

There were 300 tags last year. Certainly there must have been FN hunters as well. Obviously those numbers were under their goal. 212 won't even make a dent in that population.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Where does it say cow elk? Says antlerless. In feb! Could mean either sex I think
Elk typically dont shed their antlers until mid to late march in my experience.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
If your not feeling it... don't apply. There will be plenty of guys to take your spot.
Thanks for adding nothing ..... I don't intend to apply I'm a good enough hunter that I havent needed more than two days to fill my antlered tag in the last several years and that is done in no snow and above zero temps in September.......enjoy the knee high snow and freezing temps!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 PM

Default touche

Quote:
Thanks for adding nothing ..... I don't intend to apply I'm a good enough hunter that I havent needed more than two days to fill my antlered tag in the last several years and that is done in no snow and above zero temps in September.......enjoy the knee high snow and freezing temps!!!!
Love it. And harvesting bulls means you never have to worry about gravid uteri.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
enjoy the knee high snow and freezing temps!!!!
For the most part we save that winter weather for you Northern Alberta Suckers...
Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Anyone want to take a Guess at the number of guys that put in for this draw ? 5000? 8000 ? Should be interesting ! Also curious to see how many actually show up ..... Hope all 125 do !
Lots of opinions on this one already ............... maybe there should be a penalty if you draw a tag and do not show up ?? Might help weed out some of the applicants.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Lots of opinions on this one already ............... maybe there should be a penalty if you draw a tag and do not show up ?? Might help weed out some of the applicants.
Yeah...it would be sweet to penalize someone who got in a vehicle accident on their way out and couldn't make it for the hunt. Or someone whose child fell ill in between drawing and hunt start date.

More dinero up front is the only way to reduce the "just because" applicants.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:22 PM

So does anyone know how many helpers a hunter can have on the base?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Yeah...it would be sweet to penalize someone who got in a vehicle accident on their way out and couldn't make it for the hunt. Or someone whose child fell ill in between drawing and hunt start date.

More dinero up front is the only way to reduce the "just because" applicants.
Agree totally.

Begs the question if we should also exclude those who have publicly admitted that they have no use for the meat ??
Old 12-16-2014, 09:04 PM

Maybe some of you should just be happy for the extra opportunity instead of whining about every aspect of the hunt.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
Maybe some of you should just be happy for the extra opportunity instead of whining about every aspect of the hunt.
Agreed.....
Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 PM

If I get drawn and bring my native buddy can he shoot a bull?

Jokes.....
Old 12-16-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Does anyone know if they have age restrictions on the base? I've looked it up in the draws booklet and online and I don't see anything...i'd like to apply with my 12 yr old son...not sure if they restrict minors?
There isn't an age limit however if he is going to hunt then the age depends on the provincial laws regarding the hunter apprentiship program. Yes you can field dress it on the base. You must turn in head and leave the utter attached to rear quarter to prove sex at the check in station.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 PM

Iam bringing my range control buddy if i get drawn

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu321 View Post
Can anyone confirm rules on sheds on the base? I can take a guess but I have not found any info relating to sheds. At that time of year there should be a few on the ground.
Sheds from any animal on base are not to be removed.