Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2015, 09:47 PM

Default Nsr sturgeon line question

Hey guys just a quick question for you,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with fishing mono line for sturgeon. I have 0 experience fishing for lake sturgeon, and would appreciate advice from some of you veterans.
I have a spool of 15lb stren catfish mono and I was wondering if this would be appropriate for the sturgeon around Edmonton (excluding the actual rig)..? I realize the sturgeon around Edmonton don't regularly push the 40lbs mark. I understand the property of the different lines; that mono is more stretchy whereas braid has no stretch. I have a 12.5' rod that could absorb a lot of shock, so fishing light line shouldn't be as much of an issue?
What are some of your opinions on mono for sturgeon?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 PM

I'm not a sturgeon vet by any means, I use braided line with a berkely big game leader personally. Most guys I've spoken to use braid. There are tons of topics on here just throw "sturgeon" in the search bar you'll be able to find tons of info.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I have a spool of 15lb stren catfish mono and I was wondering if this would be appropriate for the sturgeon around Edmonton (excluding the actual rig)..?
Definitely not. Yes, the Lake Sturgeon in Alberta do not reach the sizes of the Whites in the Fraser and Columbia, but they are exceptionally powerful fish. Pair that with the strength of the river current, and 15lb monofilament is a recipe for snapping off.

If you would like to target Sturgeon, you would like to land them - and you will need a strong braided line to do that.

I suggest you use a heavy braided line like Berkley Big Game in Low Vis green or Spiderwire Ultracast also in Low Vis Green - both in 65lb test.

Sturgeon are not predatory fish, they forage for food using scent and feel. Most of their time is spent in dirty water, so the invisibility benefits of monofilament is a moot point. You will appreciate the non-stretch benefits of braid when fishing Sturgeon, it will help you detect bites in the current. Braid will also help when a Sturgeon rolls in the line, and their scutes (sharp scales) can snap mono, where braid has a higher abrasion resistance more suited to the task.

Keep in mind, Lake Sturgeon are a protected species in Alberta. Gambling with light lines increases the risk of leaving hooks in the fish, with no benefit to the angler.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 PM

since when is Berkley Big Game a braided line?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 PM

d
Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
since when is Berkley Big Game a braided line?
It's been around for a while.

Berkley Big Game Braid
Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 PM

Stop by the fishin hole and pick up some nylon sturgeon leader. The main idea is that fish pick it up and its really soft giving you critical extra time with your bait in its mouth. And ya no sense in going light, they get big and do hang out in some current making your chances slim to land a fish over 20lbs not to mention added stress on the fish.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:01 AM

A lot of good information contained within this link. Enjoy!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:07 AM

Why mind of rod you using Zach?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Thank you all for the info, especially Fisherman Guy
By no means do I want to overplay fish, and jeprodize its wellbeing. I didn't take scutes into account with the mono either. To all the readers; a am aware of sturgeon physiology and behaviour, as well as their threatened status. I just have 0 experience fishing for them. I love braided line as it is, so looks like I shall continue along that path.
Chief, I'm repurposing a spey rod, which is definitely capable of putting enough leverage on the fish.
Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:35 AM

I landed a 40-45lb sturgeon from my boat on the NSR a couple years ago using a 7' med/heavy bait casting rod and 50lb braid

That being said, it was a stressful few minutes of me worrying about the rod being turned into a u-bolt every time the sturgeon swam to the current.

Although the fish was landed, I think that next time I would go to a rod with a better backbone. A good budget rod for this would be a heavy duty ugly stik. (Like the Tiger casting rod)
Old 04-08-2015, 09:54 AM

I use a St.Croix wild river 9'-6" heavy action, a Abu Garcia C4 level wind reel spooled with 50lb power pro.

The leader is 40lb fluorocarbon with a extra heavy 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook.

I thank myself anytime a big girl decides to make a run.

I wouldn't go any lighter myself. Sturgeon are very powerful for their size and will test your gear.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Default Nylon leader

As was mentioned, a strong 50-64lb lest braid will be a good choice. What you might consider however is using a nylon sturgeon leader at the end or roughly the last 3ft of your rig. Sturgeon tend to roll like a gator and the thin braid can have a tendency to mark up the fish pretty bad due to it's thin diameter. The nylon is much softer and easier on the sturgeon should it decide to roll on you. Just easier on the fish and is soft which helps as they have a very sensitive mouth.
Good luck and enjoy. They are incredibly powerful and often jump like a sail fish lol.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 AM

Thanks again for all the input
Curtis: the rod I'm using has a ton of leverage and backbone, and I have a large spinning reel as well. I'm not too worried about being under gunned rod wise.
EZM: How well do the circle hooks work for the sturgeon? Since they have a venty-subterminal-rubbery vacuum like mouth, do you find that it still works like circle hooks are suppose to; stick in the corner of the mouth?
Kale: I was actually going to use Dacron as the leader because it's super soft/supple, which makes it harder to detect. And also it's the most forgiving when it comes to cutting and abrasion, so it won't mark up the fish. And sturgeon guides in BC, Washington, and Oregon use it as their leader material
Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
EZM: How well do the circle hooks work for the sturgeon? Since they have a venty-subterminal-rubbery vacuum like mouth, do you find that it still works like circle hooks are suppose to; stick in the corner of the mouth?
I've used both "regular" and "circle" hooks. They work as designed and when the sturgeon sucks in the bait and closes his mouth a super sharp hook will penetrate nicely. Although their mouths don't have "structure" they are pretty tough.

I like the circle hooks because I have yet to catch a fish on one with it buried deep down the throat (unlike regular hooks or smaller hooks). I think it's easier on the fish. Removal is just grabbing the shank on the hook and rotating it out the same hole it went in without removing the fish from the water. (I dremmel off the barb just leaving a small nub where the barb was).

So far .... so good.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:14 PM

My biggest was 60lbs (in profile pic) last year on 50 braid main to 54 sturgeon leader material, that was quite the fight. Depending on how many walleye/Goldeye are around I sometimes use a thicker (72lb) leader. Most people go lighter leader, but I switched once I lost a fish due to a snapped leader early in the season.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I've used both "regular" and "circle" hooks. They work as designed and when the sturgeon sucks in the bait and closes his mouth a super sharp hook will penetrate nicely. Although their mouths don't have "structure" they are pretty tough.

I like the circle hooks because I have yet to catch a fish on one with it buried deep down the throat (unlike regular hooks or smaller hooks). I think it's easier on the fish. Removal is just grabbing the shank on the hook and rotating it out the same hole it went in without removing the fish from the water. (I dremmel off the barb just leaving a small nub where the barb was).

So far .... so good.
I tried some circle hooks last season, did catch some on them but I still prefer a 4/0 cutting point Owner hook, Ive hooked one sturgeon in the roof of the mouth in the crushing plate,that was like it was buried in bone! all the rest of mine have been in the lips or mouth, never had one swallowed yet out of 500 plus sturgeon of all sizes, but I watch my rod tip and hook them as soon as they are biting, not let them take it for long, you dont have to wait long anyways as soon as they take it in the hook will stick. I use heavier braid 50 pound minimum after losing a couple fish on 30 pound braid, dont skimp on hooks either either gammakatsu or owner hooks, I wont use anything else now. Ive broken 80 pound braid without straightening an owner hook. they may cost more but Ive caught a few dozen surgeon on the same hook so they are definitely worth it. the cutting point hooks help penetrate the thick tough mouths of the big sturgeon .

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-09-2015, 08:04 AM

ive been using 30 Lb mono with 4/0 or 5/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks on a 10ft shimano downrigger rod for over a decade and not had a bent hook or busted line. i have landed several over 55 inches (fork length) with this set up. i think its also important to point out that one should use the best swivels and snaps you can find. keep in mind i re-spool with fresh line every spring and i only use this set-up for sturgeon. only a month to go before the Sturgeon fest begins down south!!

m
Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 AM

adding this to say that i have lost sturgeon just not by breaking my line. i lose mine to hook releasing or my knot on very rare occasions
Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 PM

i dont get why some guys are worried about snapping rods. if you lower your tip to the water a little, the rod wont snap.

i landed a good sized sturgeon last year on a pike rod. didnt feel undergunned at all
Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM

I find that the Egg Loop knot works best for sturgeon. Eventhough I don't use the loop for holding bait, I have found that the additional wraps hold better than a traditional snell. I have never had an Egg Loop knot fail while fishing for White or Lake Sturgeon.

This video details how to tie the Egg Loop knot:

Egg Loop Knot
Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 PM

Old school for me. All I use is 40lb mono. I tie my own pickerel rigs out of the same 40 lb mono. And in my opinion is not as hard on the fish when the get wrapped up in the fishing line.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i dont get why some guys are worried about snapping rods. if you lower your tip to the water a little, the rod wont snap.

i landed a good sized sturgeon last year on a pike rod. didnt feel undergunned at all
I don't think it is a matter of break rods, rather just being set up to land the fish as quickly as possible
Old 04-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Old school for me. All I use is 40lb mono. I tie my own pickerel rigs out of the same 40 lb mono. And in my opinion is not as hard on the fish when the get wrapped up in the fishing line.
I also believe mono is better than braid for when they wrap up in it, Except there is one better than mono for this.... Its called "western filament Nylon Sturgeon Braid" and its made out of a very soft shock resistant braid, Is very soft and made for sturgeon for that reason !

https://www.google.ca/search?q=weste..._AUoAQ#imgrc=_

You should try it, its great stuff !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-09-2015, 07:50 PM

40 lb minimum. I will never go back to using mono, braid is worth the couple extra bucks.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
40 lb minimum. I will never go back to using mono, braid is worth the couple extra bucks.
Yup, After seeing you land your first ! you were hooked after that, The braid I use you have seen, Its the best sturgeon leader on the market IMO !

But yes braid is the way to go ! I run 50 Lb Power Pro Dark Green mainline and 54 lb sturgeon leader !

Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Banned

I use 50lb Power Pro for the main line, and 30 or 40 lb big game mono for the snelled rigs.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
Yup, After seeing you land your first ! you were hooked after that, The braid I use you have seen, Its the best sturgeon leader on the market IMO !

But yes braid is the way to go ! I run 50 Lb Power Pro Dark Green mainline and 54 lb sturgeon leader !
Any particular reason you reason you run a heavier leader than your mainline? Just curious as I have never heard of anyone doing this.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Any particular reason you reason you run a heavier leader than your mainline? Just curious as I have never heard of anyone doing this.
I looked up the sturgeon leader he recommended, and it doesn't come lighter than 54lbs, so maybe that's why?

Thanks again to all for input. I will be running heavy braid and a sturgeon leader. I will post pictures if I ever get one. Good luck to the rest of you dino geeks!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I looked up the sturgeon leader he recommended, and it doesn't come lighter than 54lbs, so maybe that's why?

Thanks again to all for input. I will be running heavy braid and a sturgeon leader. I will post pictures if I ever get one. Good luck to the rest of you dino geeks!
This is exactly why, I was using Berkley big game mono 40lb forever, But I find it scars the fish to much and is not near as strong for shock resistance.