Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 PM

Default riffle rest.

So is it legal to shot off your tail gait when target shooting or even if you build a sold shooting bench in the back of your truck box or a trailer and shot from it onto a target on crown land.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:07 PM

Default Hope so

I target shoot off my tonneau on the truck on crown. Curious as to why you are asking.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:24 PM

All the gun range memberships are full . So I was going to go on crown land and use my tail gait for a solid bench or forklift a heavy one into the box.Thats all.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Good question JR , awaiting an answer from anyone in the know .
Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Shooting off the truck

I don't think so.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM

I dunno, isn't it just hunting that it is not allowed?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 PM

Hunting regs say you can't shoot from a vehicle. But target shooting is not hunting. Even shooting gophers from your tailgate would be illegal.

Paper or pop cans are ok. Just clean up after yourself.

Colin
Old 06-23-2015, 07:39 PM

I don't know either for sure, but didn't someone on this forum get a ticket or warning for just having a loaded firearm leaning against their vehicle.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 PM

Loaded firearm in or on a vehicle is illegal. This is not a F&W issue. This is a federal firearms.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM

It's a violation of the Wildlife Act to have a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle. This applies anytime, not just while hunting.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:12 AM

Thats a good point Elk hunter.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM

It's not a good point. It is the way it is.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-24-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's a violation of the Wildlife Act to have a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle. This applies anytime, not just while hunting.
My understanding as well, I believe it's mentioned in the hunting regs as " Illegal to have a loaded firearm or discharge a firearm on or from a vehicle (not verbatum I'd have to go look it up).

But basically it would be illegal to shoot from your vehicle, off the hood or from the tailgate, I suspect many CO's would look the other way if your target shooting with your .22 off your tailgate or give you a warning, but you could get a ticket, and I wouldn't post any pictures or video of you doing this if you decide to.

For Safety reasons, shooting along the side of a vehicle or leaning against a building or trailer has it's own risks that do give some value to this law, someone who doesn't know your shooting can easily walk out in front of your rifle unseen by either party till it's too late if there is a wall or barrier at either side of you, imagine leaning against the back of a van or horse trailer and your wife or kid walks out along the edge as you pull the trigger.

Same goes for a child walking along the side of the truck while you shoot from the tailgate sideways. There is some serious risk to this in some conditions, and some of us may feel over restricted, while for others it may be best for everyone if they don't have opportunities to shoot unsafely.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM

I asked a similar question and the guys warned me too. I used to shoot across the hood of my Jeep at cans and stump knots. I picked up a cheap folding table from CT and started carrying that with a little folding stool when out shooting on Crown land.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It's not a good point. It is the way it is.
Yes it is for sure. But OMG, have things come to that, really? I guess they have. If it were me, I'd just shoot and keep an eye out. But I'm me and not you. Darn, I shoot gophers out of a 1 ton pick-up with jerky on the dash and beer on the back seat on my neighbour's land. Before you turn me in to the cops, one of them is looking out his window and waving at us. Bahahah
Old 06-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Yes it is for sure. But OMG, have things come to that, really? I guess they have. If it were me, I'd just shoot and keep an eye out. But I'm me and not you. Darn, I shoot gophers out of a 1 ton pick-up with jerky on the dash and beer on the back seat on my neighbour's land. Before you turn me in to the cops, one of them is looking out his window and waving at us. Bahahah
That doesn't change the law.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-24-2015, 07:53 PM

Default Still looking

Couldn't find anything in the firearms act that this would be construed as illegal. Anyone have a reference they could point to?

Only one I could find is within the transport clauses. Hmmmm
Old 06-25-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Couldn't find anything in the firearms act that this would be construed as illegal. Anyone have a reference they could point to?

Only one I could find is within the transport clauses. Hmmmm
rule #7 , note this is in the general regulations section right at the front of your hunting regulations, if your not all familiar with the regs off the top of your head I'd suggest re-reading it a couple times.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html

have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
any kind of aircraft or vehicle whether it is moving or stationary.
Note: Ammunition may be carried in a magazine that is not attached to the firearm. Click here for contact information regarding federal firearms legislation.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
rule #7 , note this is in the general regulations section right at the front of your hunting regulations, if your not all familiar with the regs off the top of your head I'd suggest re-reading it a couple times.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html

have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
any kind of aircraft or vehicle whether it is moving or stationary.
Note: Ammunition may be carried in a magazine that is not attached to the firearm. Click here for contact information regarding federal firearms legislation.
That booklet is only a brief summary of the regulations. If you want to see the actual legislation go right to the Wildlife Act.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
That booklet is only a brief summary of the regulations. If you want to see the actual legislation go right to the Wildlife Act.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf
as per your link section 34 on page 29:

(c) discharge a weapon from a vehicle, aircraft or boat, other
than a boat that is propelled by muscular power or
anchored, or
(d) have a loaded firearm on or in a vehicle, aircraft or boat,
other than a boat so propelled or anchored.

It's interesting that it's in the wildlife act, as it doesn't specify that this can be done when some is or is not shooting at wildlife, it's open intended so it includes any shooting out of or from a vehicle, which I'm not sure should be part of the wildlife act, but there it is, it says discharge, not discharge for the purpose of hunting.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qTI8TnwlhM
Old 06-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
That doesn't change the law.
I won't argue that.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 PM

The provincial wildlife act in almost every province is the governing body that states where and when a firearm may be discharged... This applies all the time and not only to hunting big game.

Same goes for shooting at night... You will be charged under the wildlife act, unless the officer felt a criminal offence was warranted...

J
Old 06-25-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post
The provincial wildlife act in almost every province is the governing body that states where and when a firearm may be discharged... This applies all the time and not only to hunting big game.

Same goes for shooting at night... You will be charged under the wildlife act, unless the officer felt a criminal offence was warranted...

J
I will have to re-read it, but I think it's a little loose around hunting at night, or that there may be an exception for predator control on private land.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
I will have to re-read it, but I think it's a little loose around hunting at night, or that there may be an exception for predator control on private land.
Discharge of firearm at night
53 Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in section 28.

Hunting at night
28 A person shall not hunt wildlife, except by trapping, during the period commencing at 1/2 hour after sunset and ending at 1/2 hour before sunrise the following day

Everyone who owns a firearm should read the wildlife act...

J
Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 AM

One of the games at several of the turkey shoots I've been to, involve shooting from the back of a pickup truck parked at the handicap line. I susposse a platform would do the same thing as all your doing is shooting from an elevated position. I wonder if this would be frowned upon? These were approved ranges.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:30 AM

This seems really difficult to wrap heads around. It shouldn't be.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:

This seems really difficult to wrap heads around. It shouldn't be.
You're right, it's not... But what seems difficult for you to wrap your head around is the fact that people still do it without nefarious purposes.

People have been using vehicles as shooting rests, in one form or another, while practicing the sport of "target shooting" for decades. Does it make it right or wrong, IDK ?

The fact that a select few douchbags use vehicles as rests while engaging in illegal hunting, for which the Law you quote was writen for, shouldn't affect those of us NOT illegally hunting... That I do know.

I believe THAT is the message that some members here are trying to convey.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
You're right, it's not... But what seems difficult for you to wrap your head around is the fact that people still do it without nefarious purposes.

People have been using vehicles as shooting rests, in one form or another, while practicing the sport of "target shooting" for decades. Does it make it right or wrong, IDK ?

The fact that a select few douchbags use vehicles as rests while engaging in illegal hunting, for which the Law you quote was writen for, shouldn't affect those of us NOT illegally hunting... That I do know.

I believe THAT is the message that some members here are trying to convey.

It's not just about illegal hunting, it's also about safety. I personally know of two accidents resulting from loaded firearms going off in motor vehicles, as well as a fatal accident that resulted from a child sticking his head out of a car window, as another person was shooting over the roof at ground squirrels. The fact is that shooting off of a motor vehicle is illegal, no matter how you attempt to justify it.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not just about illegal hunting, it's also about safety.

I personally know of two accidents resulting from loaded firearms going off in motor vehicles. As well as a fatal accident that resulted from a child sticking his head out of a car window, as another person was shooting over the roof at ground squirrels.

The fact is that shooting off of a motor vehicle is illegal, no matter how you attempt to justify it.
Loaded firearm INSIDE a vehicle = negligence

Shooting over/from an occupied vehicle, not during active duty as a LEO or CAF = negligence

Not "accidents"... Unfortunately.

As for it's legality, "intent is 9/10'ths of the Law". YMMV