Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerG View Post
Are you allowed to hunt all the release sites all day or do most places end hunting at 2:00?
The 2:00PM restriction only applied to three sites when it was in effect. It was abolished for 2017.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
I'm looking for an old van for that very reason. i have my eye out for an Astro or the gmc version in an awd so to be able to have a little bit better traction when it gets a bit greasy. We did hear that moose and were unsure if it was that or if you had someone duct taped up in your van. we did see a limping rooster when we left just where your van was parked. as well for the day we saw a decent bull moose just west of the golf course at two hills and another over by warspite wandering around out in the open. They're definitely on the move. we might go down to days land on the weekend so if you're into that maybe we could meet up. i have not been there so wouldn't mind a little bit of a heads up when going out there so as not to be wandering around aimlessly all day. i have talked to the aca guy about them releasing on the other 1/4 but that seems to be a no go. i wish i lived closer and i would personally do releases out there so to spread the birds out a little bit better. its tough waking out there with that tall grass. or i may be getting old.
Minivans are great for hunting and fishing, but it's best if you don't try 4 wheeling with any of them. Park safe and walk in.
Next season we plan on releasing 100 hen pheasants on the very properties that you are talking about. Our hope is that a couple smart/lucky ones breed and pass on thier genes.
PM me if you want to help.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The 2:00PM restriction only applied to three sites when it was in effect. It was abolished for 2017.
Thank you.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM

I was at Hopewell yesterday morning (Sept 21) about an hour after pheasants were dropped in the rain (advised by other hunters on the road as I arrived). The birds were there, my dog flushed 7 but only shot 1 as the birds were too wet to fly and I won't risk the dog on a low bird trying to get into the air. I decided to walk out rather than having the dog harass the birds in these conditions. The dog picked another live bird up off the ground on the way out...not the way I like to get my limit. A friend hunted there this morning and didn't hear too many shots. Things have to dry up before I go out again.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Plenty of birds at Daysland today, six points in 45 minutes and done.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:50 PM

I am thinking of trying Bigelow.
Does anyone know how busy it typically gets during the week / weekend?

Are there plenty of birds left on non-release days?
Got shut out again at Hopewell today. Didn't see any. I've never seen so many hunters there all at once.

Keep in mind I don't have a dog
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post

Got shut out again at Hopewell today. Didn't see any. I've never seen so many hunters there all at once.

Bigelow and Hopewell are quite different. Bigelow has more cover and a much greater variety of cover. It is certainly farther from major centers, but I don't know if it would easier or harder without a dog since you trading off less people for harder cover.

I admit I am looking forward to the 15th...
Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Bigelow and Hopewell are quite different. Bigelow has more cover and a much greater variety of cover. It is certainly farther from major centers, but I don't know if it would easier or harder without a dog since you trading off less people for harder cover.

I admit I am looking forward to the 15th...
I was at Hopewell today at 8 am, there was probably 10 to 15 trucks there already.we headed out trying to avoid all the orange vests we came across,at about 9.15 there was just too many people around to take a shot at a bird so we made our way to the truck. 5 mins away from the truck my dog locked up solid and stayed there until i got there,had a good look around me and i could not believe nobody was around me so safe to shoot,release the dog and up came a rooster first of the season. All and all not a bad morning dog got a workout just to many other hunters around.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
I was at Hopewell today at 8 am, there was probably 10 to 15 trucks there already.we headed out trying to avoid all the orange vests we came across,at about 9.15 there was just too many people around to take a shot at a bird so we made our way to the truck. 5 mins away from the truck my dog locked up solid and stayed there until i got there,had a good look around me and i could not believe nobody was around me so safe to shoot,release the dog and up came a rooster first of the season. All and all not a bad morning dog got a workout just to many other hunters around.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Nice Bird.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I have 3 dogs, actually 2 as one is so old you have to point her in the right direction so she doesn't run onto roads and stuff, and Bigelow is pretty rough going on non release days. There is seldom many survivors as they let them go where there is little cover.

As mentioned, there is good cover elsewhere on the site so the survivors have to be literally rooted out of the cattails and thickets. I generally always get my birds but often put some miles on and the dogs work for them on the off days.

The other day I watched a couple of guys with GSPs that were obviously birdy working this one section of marsh land really hard. It wasn't the dogs fault as there was only about a foot of visibility in the rushes. Dogs would stop, guy would wander in, nothing would happen and repeat. After they left I sent in the clowns and after what looked like a scene from Jurassic Park two big roosters came up. Bang, bang and the hunt was over but they certainly weren't coming out of there unless they absolutely had to, meaning a good, aggressive dog.

The other hunters must have been impressed as they both gave me like a 1 finger salute from the distance. I am not exactly sure what that means but I assume it is like "you're #1" or something like that.

I have helped some guys out that were without dogs to get some birds but I have never seen anyone have any success without a dog there. There is just too much thick stuff for them to run into. If given the option most pheasants I have encountered will pick run over flush every time. There is no place to really push them into a corner so without a dog I can't picture much success.

The site at Buffalo Lake has rows of brush that a person could perhaps walk along and force any birds to the end where they would have to flush??? I haven't actually tried that theory as I have never been without a dog. I do know that Bigelow is better for my type of dog (flushers) because the birds will be caught up with quickly and in range in the thick cover. At Buffalo the birds run in the limited underbrush and I had a few flushes out of range as they get too far ahead of the dogs. Much better suited cover for the pointing breeds IMO and maybe not as likely for someone walking to just walk right by them?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Default Other species

At release sites like South Plain, Daysland, Bigelow etc do you only see pheasants? What about sharptails, Ruffed Grouse, and Hungarian Partridge to name a few upland species. Not to interested in migratory but feel free to add.

BW
Old 09-24-2017, 03:15 PM

Personally, I haven't in a long time. As you can imagine the dogs would find them quickly too.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
At release sites like South Plain, Daysland, Bigelow etc do you only see pheasants? What about sharptails, Ruffed Grouse, and Hungarian Partridge to name a few upland species. Not to interested in migratory but feel free to add.

BW
I have seen Hungarian Partridge at frank lake,never seen grouse at the release site's.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Hunted Daysland yesterday with my Brittany and a couple friends. We managed to flush a couple and shot one on the way out about 100 yards from the truck.

Earlier in the day in the middle of an open field the dog went on point. My buddy got ready and I pushed through a small section of taller grass... and nothing. Went through it again, still nothing. Dog was still on point giving me a look like "c'mon already, do I have to go in and get it for you?" Went through it again and still nothing. Then we found it - a dead pheasant 10 feet beyond the taller grass. "Good point girl" I told the dog, "but we'd prefer live ones next time." She wagged her tail, sniffed the dead pheasant and and ran off.

It wasn't too busy for a Saturday. There were 3 trucks parked on the east side and one of them left just as we were heading in around 10:30. I think he said he flushed 4 birds but they were all runners and he didn't want to ground swat them. We hunted til about 2:00 and heard about a dozen shots all day.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:13 AM

I have hunted both Bigelow and Hopewell without dogs. Hopewell if I am willing to do a lot of walking I can get some Roosters. Bigelow, if I haven't lucked out on a release day, it is tough sledding. I have found roosters without a dog, but I have had to bust my tail off to get them out. Only to find out I can't get a shot off as I am deep in the thicket or they flush right at the edge and are over the water.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Do you absolutely need a dog at a release site?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav_edge_308 View Post
Judging by the multiple posts with people being successful on here without one, I would go out on a limb and say no.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Judging by the multiple posts with people being successful on here without one, I would go out on a limb and say no.
Well thank you, a simple no would have sufficed but thanks for your display once again.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM

No problem, glad I could help you out!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav_edge_308 View Post
Not absolutely but success is increased exponentially if you have a good one.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-25-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Not absolutely but success is increased exponentially if you have a good one.
Why? To flush 'em? Can't you just fire a round into the bush or throw a rock or something? Or are "real" hunters too lazy to jog a couple hundred feet to retrieve birds?

Last thing I want or need is the responsibility of owning a dog.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Put her back on the rails boys. Don't feed the trolls.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:24 PM

I went down to South Plain couple weeks ago. Was very windy and without a dog I knew I would have a tough time. Never did see anything figured the wind aside from no dog played a part in that.
That being said is there a better quarter than another to hunt without a dog between the two plain lake and Vandenberg sites? Those are the closest to Cold Lake for me.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Default Apology...this thread/densa44

Hey, all...while on this thread in a crappy frame of mind on Saturday evening, I directed a comment at densa44 (our newest moderator, and a man I know personally outside of the forum), which was not kindly worded. I probably shouldn't even have come onto the forum in that headspace, and certainly should not have posted. I'd like to extend an apology to densa, and to others who saw my foolish and impulsive post before it was taken down.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Hey, all...while on this thread in a crappy frame of mind on Saturday evening, I directed a comment at densa44 (our newest moderator, and a man I know personally outside of the forum), which was not kindly worded. I probably shouldn't even have come onto the forum in that headspace, and certainly should not have posted. I'd like to extend an apology to densa, and to others who saw my foolish and impulsive post before it was taken down.
Don't sweat it buddy. Not all of our comments and posts are works of literary genuis. I hope the new sherriff doesn't suspend you.Good of you to man up.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

I have mentioned a few times that though it is great to have a dog, it is not essential.
I like the idea of dogs retreiving a downed bird, (esp. in the water) but it almost seems unsporting to have a dog do all the work so you can simply shoot a bird that a dog has pointed or flushed. Sort of takes fair chase out of it. Perhaps they will change the rules in the future to make it more sporting for both the birds and bird hunters.
If you are spot and stalking pheasants or other game birds without a dog, remember that many of them will hesitate or even turn back with the proper "barn call". It's what they have grown up with since they were 1 day year old chicks. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I have mentioned a few times that though it is great to have a dog, it is not essential.
I like the idea of dogs retreiving a downed bird, (esp. in the water) but it almost seems unsporting to have a dog do all the work so you can simply shoot a bird that a dog has pointed or flushed. Sort of takes fair chase out of it. Perhaps they will change the rules in the future to make it more sporting for both the birds and bird hunters.
If you are spot and stalking pheasants or other game birds without a dog, remember that many of them will hesitate or even turn back with the proper "barn call". It's what they have grown up with since they were 1 day year old chicks. Good luck and stay safe.
I consider it much more sporting to shoot a pheasant that you flush after the dog has pointed it, than to ground swat a pheasant, or shoot it out of a tree.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 PM

well I've shot 8 pheasants this year without the help of a dog. I've flushed many more and missed them.
The ones I saw before they flushed were easier to shoot as you have your shotgun ready in shooting position.
I'm my own dog, I end up walking into the scrub and cover and I've had the crap scared out of me by flushing birds too. haha

Hunting pheasants is fun.
I think part of the fun of hunting pheasants with a dog is watching them work, especially when they get dialed into one. I am able to witness this from afar from other hunters hunting in the field.
Its a good partnership. Dog finds birds. Hunter shoots bird. Or Hunter misses bird and dog gives hunter a dirty look. lol
Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I consider it much more sporting to shoot a pheasant that you flush after the dog has pointed it, than to ground swat a pheasant, or shoot it out of a tree.
Actually I should amend my comment about hunting pheasants and game birds with dogs. I typed that at the tail end of a discussion I was having with someone else about using dogs while upland hunting.
I really don't think there is anything unethical about using dogs, and it can be quite fun and rewarding for both dog and hunter. Also, you rarely have a wounded bird get away from you when you have a dog.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Actually I should amend my comment about hunting pheasants and game birds with dogs. I typed that at the tail end of a discussion I was having with someone else about using dogs while upland hunting.
I really don't think there is anything unethical about using dogs, and it can be quite fun and rewarding for both dog and hunter. Also, you rarely have a wounded bird get away from you when you have a dog.
So Why would you even post the nonsense that you posted previously,? You went so far as to suggest that the rules should be changed to make bird hunting more sporting, and now all of a sudden you are good with using dogs to hunt upland birds? Two posts with such opposite opinions of the same topic make no sense at all, unless your previous post was nothing more than an attempt to troll the forum.