Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
well I've shot 8 pheasants this year without the help of a dog. I've flushed many more and missed them.
The ones I saw before they flushed were easier to shoot as you have your shotgun ready in shooting position.
I'm my own dog, I end up walking into the scrub and cover and I've had the crap scared out of me by flushing birds too. haha

Hunting pheasants is fun.
I think part of the fun of hunting pheasants with a dog is watching them work, especially when they get dialed into one. I am able to witness this from afar from other hunters hunting in the field.
Its a good partnership. Dog finds birds. Hunter shoots bird. Or Hunter misses bird and dog gives hunter a dirty look. lol
Great post. Glad you are having success. Yes, they can scare the dickens out of you when they flush at your feet!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So Why would you even post the nonsense that you posted previously,? You went so far as to suggest that the rules should be changed to make bird hunting more sporting, and now all of a sudden you are good with using dogs to hunt upland birds? Two posts with such opposite opinions of the same topic make no sense at all, unless your previous post was nothing more than an attempt to troll the forum.
Come on unknot your panties, people are allowed to change there mind. Heck 2yrs ago you were giving advise on ground swatting, aim high... Nice Speed Goat BTW.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
well I've shot 8 pheasants this year without the help of a dog. I've flushed many more and missed them.
The ones I saw before they flushed were easier to shoot as you have your shotgun ready in shooting position.
I'm my own dog, I end up walking into the scrub and cover and I've had the crap scared out of me by flushing birds too. haha

Hunting pheasants is fun.
I think part of the fun of hunting pheasants with a dog is watching them work, especially when they get dialed into one. I am able to witness this from afar from other hunters hunting in the field.
Its a good partnership. Dog finds birds. Hunter shoots bird. Or Hunter misses bird and dog gives hunter a dirty look. lol
Watching the dog work, is as enjoyable to me as shooting the birds As for being startled, hunting sharptails without a dog is much more surprising than hunting over a pointing dog. I can remember when the biggest challenge was gathering your wits in time to take a shot.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I have mentioned a few times that though it is great to have a dog, it is not essential.
I like the idea of dogs retreiving a downed bird, (esp. in the water) but it almost seems unsporting to have a dog do all the work so you can simply shoot a bird that a dog has pointed or flushed. Sort of takes fair chase out of it. Perhaps they will change the rules in the future to make it more sporting for both the birds and bird hunters.
If you are spot and stalking pheasants or other game birds without a dog, remember that many of them will hesitate or even turn back with the proper "barn call". It's what they have grown up with since they were 1 day year old chicks. Good luck and stay safe.
Granted you might be on to something here... I think these sites have there place no doubt, there great for bird contacts with young dogs, great for kids to get into bird numbers, great for elderly people that can't put the miles on anymore and great for new hunters entering the sport. Maybe there not the greatest for "experienced hunters and dogs"... and if they weren't shooting 70 plus birds a season off them it would give the new guys entering sport more opportunities. Just another point of view to think about.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Granted you might be on to something here... I think these sites have there place no doubt, there great for bird contacts with young dogs, great for kids to get into bird numbers, great for elderly people that can't put the miles on anymore and great for new hunters entering the sport. Maybe there not the greatest for "experienced hunters and dogs"... and if they weren't shooting 70 plus birds a season off them it would give the new guys entering sport more opportunities. Just another point of view to think about.
Some of us "more experienced" hunters, are bringing out many new pheasant hunters to the release sites, including many younger hunters. Some of these new pheasant hunters would not be coming out, if someone didn't offer to take them out and let them hunt over a dog. Something else to think about.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM

Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3627526]Plenty of birds at Daysland today, six points in 45 minutes and done.[/QUOTE

Posts like this sound more like score keeping than promoting the activity to new hunters. Whatever you call it, it's good practice for your dog.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM

I was out at Daysland yesterday training a new dog. We walked for 2 hours with no birds but once he figured out what we were doing, we put up several and that was the objective for the day. For a while, there were 2 hunters without a dog trying to find the birds we flushed but it was clear the birds weren't flushing again. It was a bit sad to see so much fluorescent orange going around a clump of bush with no action. For me, it's as much about the dog as it is anything else.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=ward;3630152]
Quote:
Plenty of birds at Daysland today, six points in 45 minutes and done.[/QUOTE

Posts like this sound more like score keeping than promoting the activity to new hunters. Whatever you call it, it's good practice for your dog.
Some people check this thread to find out if there are good bird numbers before deciding to head out to a site. My post indicates that the bird numbers were very good the day that I posted.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3630164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Some people check this thread to find out if there are good bird numbers before deciding to head out to a site. My post indicates that the bird numbers were very good the day that I posted.
And everyone appreciates your daily update that there is in fact birds a the release site.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:50 PM

My 5 year old son is dying to get out hunting. He loves it. I have taken him out on a few "gopher hunts" and he has most definitely caught the bug. He also loves heading up to the family farm and seeing us shoot pigeons and such. I am thinking of taking him out to a release sight to see if I can get a couple pheasants or some other upland birds that may flush out. The one closest to me being in Calgary would probably be out at Frank lake. Could i expect some success at all out there, or would i be better off taking him somewhere else for the experience. This being said...he is 5...i am assuming it would be ok to take him with me? I would dress him up in blaze orange.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM

All 4 of my kids join me in the field, dress them so they stand out, explain the rules and have fun. Do you have a dog? Hopewell is closer to Calgary and Frank isn't releasing birds yet, btw.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=angery jonn;3630190]
Quote:

And everyone appreciates your daily update that there is in fact birds a the release site.
They probably appreciate the reports that no birds were seen, and no shots were heard even more, so they don't have to find out for themselves after driving a couple of hours to get there..
Old 09-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Come on unknot your panties, people are allowed to change there mind. Heck 2yrs ago you were giving advise on ground swatting, aim high... Nice Speed Goat BTW.
X2. No kidding.
By the way it was a beautiful day at the release site today. I took another AO member out who is more experianced then many hunters on this forum. He shot his first pheasant and was quite happy. Only fair, as he took me out fishing last year when I caught my first Lake Trout on his boat.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=angery jonn;3630190]
Quote:

Just had to go back and check the thread title...yup..."Pheasant Release Site UPDATE"
Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
So Why would you even post the nonsense that you posted previously,? You went so far as to suggest that the rules should be changed to make bird hunting more sporting, and now all of a sudden you are good with using dogs to hunt upland birds? Two posts with such opposite opinions of the same topic make no sense at all, unless your previous post was nothing more than an attempt to troll the forum.
Not nonsense at all, just not worded the way I intended. Sorry I confused you, but it's nice to know you still hang on my every word. Lets not spoil this thread by being argumentive.
It was a beautiful day at the release site today, but I don't think a fresh batch has been released since before the weekend. Did harvest a grouse, which you don't see often at a release site.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
All 4 of my kids join me in the field, dress them so they stand out, explain the rules and have fun. Do you have a dog? Hopewell is closer to Calgary and Frank isn't releasing birds yet, btw.
Awesome.... thanks for the tip on Frank not releasing yet. No I do not have a dog.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:21 PM

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-26-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:27 PM

Guys, let's just stick to pheasant release site updates. Who cares who has the last word

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 10:17 PM

Hey my friend,
You just stole it from my mouth, myself and my three young boys trying to figure it out for two seasons but never got out for birds.
Yes, we need a great hunter to do it with us for the sake of hunting morals, or may be for the sake of just like to help or make others happy.

Thanks

Quote:
Some of us "more experienced" hunters, are bringing out many new pheasant hunters to the release sites, including many younger hunters. Some of these new pheasant hunters would not be coming out, if someone didn't offer to take them out and let them hunt over a dog. Something else to think about.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:43 PM

So excited to get out this year with my young lab and young boys. I can handle the dog pretty well..I Think......time to give her a shot at flushing pheasant. She definitely can retriev....if she stays calm long enough, hah. Hope it works out and I get my first ever pheasant. Sharpie hunting in sask as a boy was so memorable. Hope pheasant is the same. This post is motivating me to get out....soon. Going to try Bigelow.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:54 AM

Had good weather on Tuesdays hunt with Waternija , a dog would have been the way to go as they were hiding in the bush to day. First time hunting for Pheasants so I am happy I was able to take one home .Thanks Ernist for showing me the lay of the land.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Very few hunters at Daysland today. Thinking there was a release today, as there was an abundance of birds.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Very few hunters at Daysland today. Thinking there was a release today, as there was an abundance of birds.
Exactly the opposite at Hopewell tonight. It was absolutely overrun with hunters, but the dog found no birds and I didn't hear a single shot in 2.5 hours.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 PM

Nice night for me.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2017, 06:26 AM

^^^^ Nice photo!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-28-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Nice night for me.

Nice. Picked up one last night with two flushes on an obviously non-release day.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-28-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Nice night for me.

Theres a Happy Dog !!
Great Field pic as well.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:27 PM

I was at Daysland at sunrise. Walked for 3 1/2 hours and put up 3 birds. A bit thin but only the 2nd hunt for my new dog so factor that in. He did find those 3 birds so he might be catching on. Saw 3 others there and heard a few shots. Massive flights of geese.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

It was a great day today (Thursday) at the release site. They must have released birds yesterday. Got there in the morning after shooting some Mallard's, and pheasants were running around on the roads on both sides of the release sites. Also saw quite a few in the fields. Only saw 3 other hunters. One fellow got his limit with a very nice pointer called Lucy. A big shout out to the fellow with the 2 beautifull Long Haired German Pointers who I met in the Vandenberg parking lot. He loaded his dogs back into the truck and they retrieved a Mallard for me from a pond down the road. Saved me some time and bother.
Got 3 Mallards and my Pheasant limit in about 2 hours total.